Lazy People & Sex;Heart Attack Risk

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Study: Sex Increases Heart Attack Risk for Lazy People

If you sit on your butt most of the time, this news may make you break out in a sweat: Sporadic bursts of sex or exercise can increase the risk of a heart attack.

Dr. Issa Dahabreh and Dr. Jessica Paulus, researchers at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, made this discovery after reviewing 10 studies investigating physical activity, three involving sexual activity and one study that looked at both.

Study: Sex Increases Heart Attack Risk for Sedentary People

WOW. What a shocking development....

Those individuals who are overweight, out of shape, and do not engage in much physical activity have a higher potential for having their weak, useless hearts rupture when they do actually try to do something even moderately straining on their cardiovascular system? I would never have guessed that without the work of these brilliant researchers at Tufts Medical Center.

Come on folks, did we REALLY need TEN studies to investigate that?

I work out pretty regularly (4-5 times a week); and I could have told you that. Hell, after an 11 day absence from the gym (due to surgery) I ran almost 3.5 miles on a treadmill yesterday and my heartrate was the better part of 10 beats higher than it normally is on that exact same run. Can I get some of that grant money now too?

Those individuals who are overweight, out of shape, and do not engage in much physical activity have a higher potential for having their weak, useless hearts rupture when they do actually try to do something even moderately straining on their cardiovascular system? I would never have guessed that without the work of these brilliant researchers at Tufts Medical Center.

I work out pretty regularly (4-5 times a week); and I could have told you that. Hell, after an 11 day absence from the gym (due to surgery) I ran almost 3.5 miles on a treadmill yesterday and my heartrate was the better part of 10 beats higher than it normally is on that exact same run. Can I get some of that grant money now too?

Couch potatoes have no stamina anyway. lol.

I agree, what a waste of money. But then again studies love throwing money towards anything that has to do with men and their dick.

• Banned
Probably. But it was a crossover study done by comparing several different studies. Review in JAMA...

CLINICIAN’S CORNER
JAMA. 2011;305(12):1225-1233. doi: 10.1001/jama.2011.336 Association of Episodic Physical and Sexual Activity With Triggering of Acute Cardiac EventsSystematic Review and Meta-analysisIssa J. Dahabreh, MD; Jessica K. Paulus, ScD

Context Evidence has suggested that physical and sexual activity might be triggers of acute cardiac events.

Objective To assess the effect of episodic physical and sexual activity on acute cardiac events using data from case-crossover studies.

Data Sources MEDLINE and EMBASE (through February 2, 2011) and Web of Science (through October 6, 2010).

Study Selection Case-crossover studies investigating the association between episodic physical or sexual activity and myocardial infarction (MI) or sudden cardiac death (SCD).

Association of Episodic Physical and Sexual Activity With Triggering of Acute Cardiac Events, March 23/30, 2011, Dahabreh and Paulus 305 (12): 1225

I agree, what a waste of money. But then again studies love throwing money towards anything that has to do with men and their dick.

What makes you think this study was just about "men and their dick"?

Most studies like this IMO, are about men and their dicks.

Really? These studies are just about men?...Doubtful. Because although men are prone to have more heart attacks when younger...Women are more likely to die from them than men are. And as women age...they become just as likely as men to have a heart attack...especially after the age of 65.

As a matter of fact, women are given many sexually related precautions related to sex after a heart attack. A big one being not to use birth control pills.

Last edited:
But, is there a better way to die?

Dying during sex has to be the best way to go. Eventually, everyone goes.

Think of the ego bump for your partner...

Richard Pryor: " If you had the choice of dying during sex, or getting hit by a bus, which line would you be in?"

Last edited:
Probably. But it was a crossover study done by comparing several different studies. Review in JAMA...

Ok.... So they spent money for someone to review other people's studies and compare the results on a topic that is so ridiculously obvious that even a moron like myself can figure it out?

Let's see.... How about I do a study on the results of all the NFL games in the last 50 years to compare and see how often the team with the most points WON the game? Can I get some grant money for that, please?

Ok.... So they spent money for someone to review other people's studies and compare the results on a topic that is so ridiculously obvious that even a moron like myself can figure it out?

Let's see.... How about I do a study on the results of all the NFL games in the last 50 years to compare and see how often the team with the most points WON the game? Can I get some grant money for that, please?

I'm sure you could...if you asked the right people.

Maybe title it..."the Psychology of winning"

Last edited:
Study: Sex Increases Heart Attack Risk for Lazy People

If you sit on your butt most of the time, this news may make you break out in a sweat: Sporadic bursts of sex or exercise can increase the risk of a heart attack.

Dr. Issa Dahabreh and Dr. Jessica Paulus, researchers at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, made this discovery after reviewing 10 studies investigating physical activity, three involving sexual activity and one study that looked at both.

Study: Sex Increases Heart Attack Risk for Sedentary People

This begs the question: Was Clinton sitting on his butt, or active, when he got the Lewinski?

Uncle Ferd says, "Yea, dat's why ya oughta have sex everyday - so's ya can stay in shape...
:cool:
Sporadic Physical Activity Increases Risk of Heart Attack
April 01, 2011 - Millions of people find themselves in the emergency room each year due to a heart attack because they overdid it during an exercise routine, or a bout of love-making
Doctors the world over tell their patients to exercise for better health. But people who seldom or never exercise need to be extra cautious about engaging in strenuous physical activity. A new study shows that for these people, a sudden burst of activity, like jogging or sex, can be deadly. You hear this often: "Check with your doctor before you start a new exercise program." A new study shows the wisdom of that advice. Each year, millions of people find themselves in the emergency room after a heart attack because they overdid it during an exercise routine, or a bout of love-making.

Regular cardiovascular exercise reduces the risk of heart problems. But for the couch potatoes of the world - people who are sedentary - suddenly launching into a cardio program or having sex can lead to a heart attack. Doctors at Tufts University Medical Center in Boston studied the problem and found a direct link between exercise and heart attack for these patients. Doctors Jessica Paulus and Issa Dahabreh reviewed 14 studies of the exercise-heart attack connection, mostly involving men between the ages of 55 and 64. "For those individuals who were unaccustomed to regular physical activity or who did not typically exercise, this risk was much higher than for those individuals who were regular exercisers," said Paulus.

The study showed the greatest risk is during the activity and for up to two hours afterward. Should anyone interpret this as an excuse not to exercise, however, Paulus said they should think again. "If they are unaccustomed to exercising but they’d like to start becoming more physically active, they should do so very gradually and under the care and supervision of a physician."

Dr. Dahabreh also pointed out that regular exercise is good even for people who have a higher risk for heart attack, because it conditions the heart to beat more slowly during a strenuous workout or sexual activity. "People who exercise frequently, regularly, several times per week, will then have a much smaller increase (in heart rate) while they are involved in these specific activities," said Dahabreh. The study appears in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Source

See also:

Donor DNA May Identify Early Heart Transplant Rejection
April 01, 2011 - Study could also help improve success of other transplants; Examining donor DNA could give doctors a non-invasive, early warning of organ rejection, which could be controlled with anti-rejection medications.
Scientists are reporting a new way to identify when a heart transplant recipient is starting to reject the new organ. The new technique could help doctors ensure the success of more transplants. The human immune system is programmed to reject foreign bodies. It's how we fight off infections. That's one of the biggest obstacles in organ transplant: the body sees the new organ as foreign. So transplant recipients take powerful immunosupressant drugs, but rejection still happens. If discovered early enough, doctors may be able to adjust the patient's medications. If not, they may need another transplant...assuming an organ is available.

To monitor for rejection of heart transplants, doctors examine the new heart for signs of rejection every couple of months. "The current gold standard to look for rejection is to actually physically biopsy the heart, which means the doctors go in and rip a piece of it out and look at it under a microscope," says Stanford University researcher Stephen Quake, who calls the procedure "rather medieval." "The key insight for this work was to realize that a heart transplant is really a genome transplant. When someone else's heart gets put inside your body, all the cells in that organ have that person's genome, which is different than yours. And so, if you sequence DNA from the blood, you can tell which DNA is coming specifically from the heart as opposed to other organs by those small differences in the genome."

Scientists have long known that the blood contains bits of DNA, which were in cells that have since died. And if a transplanted heart is being rejected, it will have more dead cells, and shed more DNA. "When the organ is being rejected, your immune system is attacking it and the cells become very unhealthy and start to die, and when they die they spill their genome into the blood," Quake explains. "And so you'd expect an increase in the amount of heart DNA in the blood to be a direct consequence of damage to the heart. And that's, in fact, what we showed in this paper."

For this research, Quake studied heart transplant patients, but he says he believes the same method could be used for other kinds of organ transplants, too. That would give doctors a non-invasive, early warning of organ rejection, which can be controlled in many cases by adjusting the patient's anti-rejection medications. The Stanford University researcher describes the DNA-based method of identifying organ rejection online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Source

Most studies like this IMO, are about men and their dicks.

If I could borrow your opinion... Totally, a bunch of hyper-active perverted dicks.

Granny says dat's why Ferd don't get outta bed til' after noon...
:confused:
Morning heart attacks deadlier than ones in afternoon
4/27/2011 - Study shows 20 percent more damage when attacks happen between 6 a.m. and noon
Heart attacks that occur in the early morning may be more serious than those that occur later in the day, a new study suggests. The results show that people who have heart attacks between 6 a.m. and noon have about 20 percent more damage to their heart tissue than those who have heart attacks at other times of the day. Patients with more tissue damage after a heart attack are known to have a worse prognosis, including a greater risk of death.

The findings suggest hospitals should be well-staffed in the early morning hours to attend to heart attack patients, said study researcher Borja Ibanez, of the National Centre for Cardiovascular Research (CNIC) in Spain. A larger staff will help ensure the patient's coronary artery is opened as soon as possible, which will lead to a better prognosis for the patient, Ibanez said. Coincidentally, previous research has also shown heart attacks are more likely to occur in the morning. The findings suggest "those individuals are also suffering from the worst amount of injury," said Martin Young, of the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, who was not involved in the study. The link between heart attack intensity and time of day suggests the body's internal clock, or circadian rhythm, is at play.

Morning heart attacks

Ibanez and his colleagues analyzed data from 811 heart attack patients admitted to the Hospital Clinico San Carlos in Madrid between 2003 and 2009. These patients suffered from what is known as ST segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) -- a type of heart attack in which the blood supply to the heart is blocked for prolonged period. The researchers divided patients into four categories depending on when the heart attack had occurred. Two hundred sixty-nine patients had their heart attacks between 6 a.m. and noon; 240 between noon and 6 p.m.; 161 occurred from 6 p.m. to midnight period; and 141 between midnight and 6 a.m.

The researchers examined the levels of certain enzymes released by the body during a heart attack to determine the extent of the tissue damage, or tissue that has died during the attack, also known as the infarct size. Patients with the largest infarct size had their attack between 6 a.m. and noon. These patients had 21 percent higher levels of enzymes in their bodies than those whose attacks occurred at other times of the day.

Body clock

Forum List

Back