Lawsuits Allege Private Prison Company Covered Up Youth Sex Abuse

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

This is why we need robot or fully automated prisons.

A pair of recent lawsuits against a private youth prison operator in Florida amplify claims that the company, Youth Services International, has frequently covered up reports that staff sexually abused young people held inside its facilities.

According to a suit filed in October in federal court, the top administrator at one YSI youth prison regularly made sexual advances toward teenage boys held there in 2010 and 2011 and on at least one occasion brought inmates home with him and into his bedroom. A separate case filed in Florida court in November alleges that a female guard at another YSI facility in 2012 began an "intimate and sexual relationship" with a 14-year-old inmate.

Florida officials at the Department of Juvenile Justice did not investigate these alleged incidents until months and even nearly a year after they occurred, according to accounts from the mothers of the victims and documents obtained by The Huffington Post. This was in part because the for-profit prison operator failed to immediately report the alleged episodes as required under its contracts with the state.

A pair of recent lawsuits against a private youth prison operator in Florida amplify claims that the company, Youth Services International, has frequently covered up reports that staff sexually abused young people held inside its facilities.

According to a suit filed in October in federal court, the top administrator at one YSI youth prison regularly made sexual advances toward teenage boys held there in 2010 and 2011 and on at least one occasion brought inmates home with him and into his bedroom. A separate case filed in Florida court in November alleges that a female guard at another YSI facility in 2012 began an "intimate and sexual relationship" with a 14-year-old inmate.

Florida officials at the Department of Juvenile Justice did not investigate these alleged incidents until months and even nearly a year after they occurred, according to accounts from the mothers of the victims and documents obtained by The Huffington Post. This was in part because the for-profit prison operator failed to immediately report the alleged episodes as required under its contracts with the state.

You seriously cannot believe that things of this type do not happen in state (non profit) facilities.

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/displayArticle.aspx?articleid=24298&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Yes, they happen in state facilities as well, but privatization has proven to enrich the stockholder, fleece the taxpayers, and torture the clients: for example, the scandals involving the elderly, the children, the mentally infirm, the prisoner.

We the People can get at our legislators when state services fail whereas the stockholders of private industry laugh at us. They put profit above service.

Think not? Consider who the youth had to turn to in order to protect themselves.

This is what happens when industries are unregulated.

And it will get worse.

Especially if you're black, Hispanic, Native American and/or poor.

There is justice for those who can afford to buy it. The rest do long prison sentences.

This is what happens when industries are unregulated.

And it will get worse.

Especially if you're black, Hispanic, Native American and/or poor.

There is justice for those who can afford to buy it. The rest do long prison sentences.

Couldn't you save the race baiting for a mere ten posts? This thread is not about race. How about discussing the TOPIC for a change.

Last edited:
Yes, they happen in state facilities as well, but privatization has proven to enrich the stockholder, fleece the taxpayers, and torture the clients: for example, the scandals involving the elderly, the children, the mentally infirm, the prisoner.

We the People can get at our legislators when state services fail whereas the stockholders of private industry laugh at us. They put profit above service.

Think not? Consider who the youth had to turn to in order to protect themselves.

The Obama recession saw a lot of states go back to running their own prisons. It is NOT cheaper to contract the work out. Tennessee was one of those states. I could be wrong, but I really don't think they have any privatized prisons there any longer. I think another state may be Florida.

The Obama recession saw a lot of states go back to running their own prisons. It is NOT cheaper to contract the work out. Tennessee was one of those states. I could be wrong, but I really don't think they have any privatized prisons there any longer. I think another state may be Florida.

Of course it is not cheaper, but the money is spent far more wisely, and the clients are better protected than in privatized institutions that service the elderly, the poor, the infirm, the insane, and the incarcerated. Profit does not come before service is my point.

Of course it is not cheaper, but the money is spent far more wisely, and the clients are better protected than in privatized institutions that service the elderly, the poor, the infirm, the insane, and the incarcerated. Profit does not come before service is my point.

One big problem is that the unions will defend the abuser in state and federal facilities. Some will be there for years before they get fired, if they ever do.

I wonder if this is the stuff "koshergrl" started her thread on.

One big problem is that the unions will defend the abuser in state and federal facilities. Some will be there for years before they get fired, if they ever do.

The get to the leges and make changes. I guarantee you that negating union pressure is usually a piece of cake to fending off slavering corporate lobbyists trying to protect their clients' contracts with the state.

The get to the leges and make changes. I guarantee you that negating union pressure is usually a piece of cake to fending off slavering corporate lobbyists trying to protect their clients' contracts with the state.

Sometimes. But what I've seen in state and federal facilities is that management simply doesn't want to be bothered, so they just let the unions have free reign. That's pretty sad, but it does happen. And, honestly, when it is day in and day out, I can see how they would become very weary of it.

Sometimes. But what I've seen in state and federal facilities is that management simply doesn't want to be bothered, so they just let the unions have free reign. That's pretty sad, but it does happen. And, honestly, when it is day in and day out, I can see how they would become very weary of it.

Oh, I agree. And you have seen the out-patienting of mental health services over the last thirty years. We, as a country, are in a poor place on these issues.

Oh, I agree. And you have seen the out-patienting of mental health services over the last thirty years. We, as a country, are in a poor place on these issues.

Some of the patients who lived in the institutes are better off now, and some are not. Sadly.

that is an interesting proposition. Not sure if it is applicable to reality, though.

What we need THE MOST is abolishing the mandatory sentencing - for ANY type of crime.

Plus I agree, that prisons should not be for profit business, neither for the government, nor for the private company.

It's Human Nature that is fucked up, Hazelnut, your OP Link shows both both entities, the Private Prison, and the Government dropping the ball here. Pointing fingers, sometimes, is like chasing your tail. Where is the oversight here? What is the intent?

You are kidding, right? The Collective is Not accountable to us. Try embarrassing it and see what happens to you. ;)

You are kidding, right? The Collective is Not accountable to us. Try embarrassing it and see what happens to you. ;)

As long as prisons are out of sight, and the population is not escaping they are of very little note to either the citizenry or the government. Having worked in two, I can tell you that. There was a doctor at one where I worked who had to kill 3 patients before they fired her. The only people who care about prison inmates are their mammas. We went through a phase of trying to rehabilitate them, but those days are long gone. Satellite TV is the order of the day, and they go in with a bachelor's in marijuana and get out with a PhD in cocaine. Prisons merely make better criminals of them. And I don't know of a single government office holder who was voted out over a prison. Although, I won't say definitively there have been none, because there could have been and I just didn't know about it.

I can tell you that the mental health laws in TN are somewhat better than others, but IMO that is because the state capitol is right down town in Nashville and the legislators have to step on the homeless mentally ill every day when they go to work. Also NAMI has a very strong lobby in TN. People will listen about the mentally ill. They will not listen about criminals.

Last edited:
Do these problems not exist in state run facilities? Don't blame the fact that its a private company. What sense does that make?

Forum List

Back