Lawsuits against the companies that make assault rifles.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
I'm fascinated by this. I'm not anti-guns. I'm not Kneejerk against all gun control proposals. I'm fascinated by the legal issue(s) here. This isn't really about the 2nd Amendment 'right'. The article is speaking to the responsibilities that come with freedom and commerce. This is a huge issue now regarding holding gun makers accountable.

I'm going to "

Listen to This Article​

https://www.nytimes.com/audio/app/2...-shootings.html?referringSource=audioAppPromo
Listen to this story in the New York Times Audio app on iOS.

Gun Makers and Mass Shootings

“Brian?” Koskoff asked.
“Yeah,” Hogan replied quietly. As Koskoff drew closer, he noticed that Hogan was crying. Although the two had never met in person, Koskoff quickly extended his arm across Hogan’s shoulder to comfort him. It was a warm, breezy afternoon in late June, and Highland Park, Ill., a town on Lake Michigan just north of Chicago, was a picture of suburban tranquillity. Shoppers darted in and out of stores along Central Avenue. Opposite a Walker Bros. pancake house, a father and his young daughter were happily devouring ice cream cones. But for Hogan, this spot brought back the darkest memories. It was here that he and his family were watching last year’s Fourth of July parade when Robert Crimo III, perched on a rooftop across the street and armed with a Smith & Wesson M & P 15, an AR-15-style semiautomatic rifle, opened fire on the crowd. Hogan’s father-in-law, Eduardo Uvaldo, was one of seven people killed. Hogan’s 13-year-old son was hit by a bullet but survived.
Gathering himself, Hogan recalled that Eduardo, sitting in a lawn chair, was initially struck in the forearm. He got up and stumbled toward the tree bench where Hogan and Koskoff now stood. Hogan said that as Crimo sprayed the area with bullets, he noticed an abrasion on his father-in-law’s head. He assumed that he had scraped himself while trying to escape. In fact, though, it was the entry point of the bullet that ultimately killed him. Hogan told Koskoff that he grabbed two chairs and a table and used them to try to protect Eduardo. A woman who was hiding on the other side of the tree implored him to get down. “He’s trying to shoot you!” she screamed.

I'm fascinated by this. I'm not anti-guns. I'm not Kneejerk against all gun control proposals. I'm fascinated by the legal issue(s) here. This isn't really about the 2nd Amendment 'right'. The article is speaking to the responsibilities that come with freedom and commerce. This is a huge issue now regarding holding gun makers accountable.

I'm going to "

Listen to This Article​

Download New York Times Audio

If I get in my car, and drive into a crowd of people, killing several of them, should Stellantis be sued for having manufactured that car?

I'm going to "

Listen to This Article​

Serial killers most often stab, strangle and bludgeon their victims to death. Should we now make knife makers and hammer makers liable for those murders? Phone cords, curtain cords, etc are used for strangling should those manufacturers be liable as well? No, this makes 0 sense. Arsenic is often use to kill people should the chemical manufacturer be held liabel? After all, arsenic IS a poison.

Last edited:
Did they specifically design the car to kill people and then sold it to you despite you being a crazy person?
Gun manufactures don’t sell guns to the public. They sell to licensed dealers. Just like Ford doesn’t sell cars to the public, it sells to dealers. The manufacturer of a legal product has no responsibility for anything done by someone two steps away.

Did they specifically design the car to kill people and then sold it to you despite you being a crazy person?

If the design purpose of guns is to kill people, then how is it that the overwhelming vast majority of guns are never used for any such purpose? The engineers who design guns must be doing an extraordinarily poor job of it, if any of your logic is at all sound.

The point is that it is unjustifiable to hold the manufacturer of a legitimate product, sold and used for legit9imate purposes; for the results of someone abusing that product.

I'm going to "

Listen to This Article​

I smell desperation. They can sue as many gun companies as they want to, but there are more than enough manufacturers of gun parts to make enough guns for every man, woman, and child in this country. Plus all those foreign manufacturers too. Good luck suing them, they'll tell you to go fuck yourself.

And if it ever came to the worst case scenario, we'd just take the guns away from the police and military, and use them against them. No soldier I know of is absolutely bullet-proof.

I smell desperation. They can sue as many gun companies as they want to, but there are more than enough manufacturers of gun parts to make enough guns for every man, woman, and child in this country. Plus all those foreign manufacturers too. Good luck suing them, they'll tell you to go fuck yourself.

And if it ever came to the worst case scenario, we'd just take the guns away from the police and military, and use them against them. No soldier I know of is absolutely bullet-proof.
We can make them on 3D printers too.

Some of mine have probably killed Nazis and Communists.

Does that make me a bad person? It's not like I had a time machine, went back in time, and pulled the trigger.
I have a WWI bayonet bet it stabbed people. Has dark stains on it too

Gun manufactures don’t sell guns to the public. They sell to licensed dealers. Just like Ford doesn’t sell cars to the public, it sells to dealers. The manufacturer of a legal product has no responsibility for anything done by someone two steps away.

Distinction without a difference. The gun industry knows the kind of people they are selling to, in fact they are superficially marketing to them.

If the design purpose of guns is to kill people, then how is it that the overwhelming vast majority of guns are never used for any such purpose? The engineers who design guns must be doing an extraordinarily poor job of it, if any of your logic is at all sound.

Uh, sorry, let's say we developed a Gun that couldn't possibly kill anyone... why would you buy it?

Nor is the gun designed to kill either. My guns have never killed a single person.
But that's what it's DESIGNED to do, that's the point.

So here's a simple solution. Since you all REALLY don't want to kill anyone, let's ONLY allow the sale of weapons with non-lethal ammo- Tasers, Rubber Bullets, etc.

Uh, sorry, let's say we developed a Gun that couldn't possibly kill anyone... why would you buy it?

I'm sorry. I couldn't hear you. I was overwhelmed by echoes of that mentally-deficient retard, Joycelyn Elders, from so long ago, rambling about “safer guns” and “safer bullets”.

Forum List

Back