CDZ Law abiding citizens should be able to carry a gun, open or concealed in any state...

Zackly --- and "a well regulated Militia" is hardly the only paradigm under which Arms can be used ---- although hunting shotguns weren't invented yet, nor was the revolver, nor was the Minié Ball; even simple dueling pistols were just then getting standardized ---- so their concept of "Arms" would have been a fraction of, and infinitely more limited than, ours is. It stretches credulity beyond belief to imagine that they would have meant to include all of the future technologies up to and including shoulder-fired antiaircraft missiles and land mines and nuclear bombs etc.

So it's reasonable to note that at the time the 2A was written the use of "Arms" was limited to (a) war, its original purpose, (b) a well regulated Militia or (c) dueling to settle a personal score. The idea of a sniper sitting on the top of the local grain mill picking off random strangers ---- simply did not exist, as the technology to do that didn't exist.
nope; the point is, Only well regulated militias of the whole and entire people, may not be Infringed when keeping and bearing Arms for their State or the Union.

That seems to be the implication ---- treating the term "the People" as synonymous with "members of the Militia".

The Militia is made of People, but no "the People" are not "the Militia". Unless literally everyone is in the Miliita. (If literally everyone were in the Militia, what would be its point?)
yes; the people and the militia are synonymous. only well regulated "militia" of the People is declared necessary to the security of a free State.

No they're not synonymous. If there's a Militia there are people in it --- but a random group of people is not automatically a "Militia".

This is the militia:

Federal law defines “the militia of the United States” to include all able-bodied males from 17 to 45 and members of the National Guard up to age 64, but excluding those who have no intention of becoming citizens, and active military personnel. (US Code Title 10, sect. 311-313)

[http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/311]

Are you in the militia...or well past that age?

I am both not in the militia and well past that age.

The tangent was simply comparing "People" with "Militia", my point being that while you cannot have a Militia without people, you can certainly have people without a militia.

Interesting definition though. From it we can infer that the Second Amendment's right to bear arms is limited to able-bodied males 17-45 Guard members to 64 and military personnel. Presumably the latter two could even include females.

The tangent was simply comparing "People" with "Militia", my point being that while you cannot have a Militia without people, you can certainly have people without a militia.

Interesting definition though. From it we can infer that the Second Amendment's right to bear arms is limited to able-bodied males 17-45 Guard members to 64 and military personnel. Presumably the latter two could even include females.

Again, the militia is ALL able bodied citizens. You can't wish reality into the cornfield.

Again, the militia is ALL able bodied citizens. You can't wish reality into the cornfield.

Go argue with Supergirl. I really don't care.

nope; the point is, Only well regulated militias of the whole and entire people, may not be Infringed when keeping and bearing Arms for their State or the Union.

That seems to be the implication ---- treating the term "the People" as synonymous with "members of the Militia".

The Militia is made of People, but no "the People" are not "the Militia". Unless literally everyone is in the Miliita. (If literally everyone were in the Militia, what would be its point?)
yes; the people and the militia are synonymous. only well regulated "militia" of the People is declared necessary to the security of a free State.

No they're not synonymous. If there's a Militia there are people in it --- but a random group of people is not automatically a "Militia".

This is the militia:

Federal law defines “the militia of the United States” to include all able-bodied males from 17 to 45 and members of the National Guard up to age 64, but excluding those who have no intention of becoming citizens, and active military personnel. (US Code Title 10, sect. 311-313)

[http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/311]

Are you in the militia...or well past that age?

Haven't watched much history on YouTube? You are Only too old for federal service. There are State militias as well.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

Go argue with Supergirl. I really don't care.
Our Second Amendment declares the organized militia necessary, not the unorganized militia.

got a figure for number of kids who catch stray bullets in the streets?

That would be gun murder.....and it is listed above....or accidental death, also listed above....

in that case I do not believe the published figures. --------they do not jibe with the magnitude of -------bullet in kids in the streets of my inner city ------are the stats just for
some city in Texas or nationwide?

No.....of course you don't.....these are counts of actual bodies on the ground......I have listed at times the accidental gun death rate and the gun murder rate of children....that would be 14 and under. The numbers are far smaller than the anti gunners want you to believe, and the media anti gunners want you to believe.

The Stats I listed are the stats from the final death statistics nation wide that the CDC collects every year...we are still waiting for the stats for 2015.....the link is provided...it is a lot of information...is it absolutely perfect..no....but it is a good read on how people die.....and guns are not the biggest problem.....especially if you only look at accidents...and not murder.

The kids killed in your city.....are majority gang members....the rest are those who get caught in the crossfire....and of course the 15 year olds shooting each other over gang problems or insults on facebook are not legal gun owners, can't buy guns or carry them......so all the gun laws in the world won't stop them....

And keep in mind...we had 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million Americans were holding concealed carry permits in 1997....we now have 357-400 million guns in private hands and over 15 million people with gun permits to carry......and in that time our gun murder rate went down 47%....and our gun accidental death and non fatal gun ccident rate both went down, not up.......

"CNN Article Admits Gun Accidents Among Children Are Literally 1 in a Million
APRIL 12 2013
Despite incidents such as the recent death of a 6-year-old New Jersey boy shot in the head by a 4-year-old playmate, as well as the accidental shooting of a Tennessee sheriff’s deputy’s wife by a 4-year-old boy, accidental firearms deaths are rare among children.

According to the CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 703 children under the age of 15 died in accidental firearms deaths between 2001 and 2010, the latest year for which the agency’s statistics on fatalities are available. During the same period, 7,766 children under the age of 14 suffered accidental firearms injuries — about one injury for every million children."
CNN Article Admits Gun Accidents Among Children Are Literally 1 in a Million

Do you own a gun?
Do you plan to?
If not, why are you asking?

I will probably steal that article.....

And the 2nd Amendment does not say...the right of able bodied militia members to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...does it?

It simply states the truth....the Right of the People.....shall not be infringed....

"CNN Article Admits Gun Accidents Among Children Are Literally 1 in a Million
APRIL 12 2013
Despite incidents such as the recent death of a 6-year-old New Jersey boy shot in the head by a 4-year-old playmate, as well as the accidental shooting of a Tennessee sheriff’s deputy’s wife by a 4-year-old boy, accidental firearms deaths are rare among children.

According to the CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 703 children under the age of 15 died in accidental firearms deaths between 2001 and 2010, the latest year for which the agency’s statistics on fatalities are available. During the same period, 7,766 children under the age of 14 suffered accidental firearms injuries — about one injury for every million children."
CNN Article Admits Gun Accidents Among Children Are Literally 1 in a Million

Do you own a gun?
Do you plan to?
If not, why are you asking?

The article also points out the CNN story and you can see how the CNN journalist distorts reality...stating 703 children die from gun accidents......and then goes on to point out it was over a 10 year period....so that the only thing that sticks out is the 703......to increase the percieved number since the actual number is so low...also, they state 2001-2010 to hide the idea that it is a 10 year period....they know so many ways to hide the truth it isn't even funny...and even then they are wrong......those numbers have been going down as more people own guns...you just have to go to the CDC and look at the numbers to see it...which they don't link to....

Thanks for the article...

And the 2nd Amendment does not say...the right of able bodied militia members to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...does it?

That's not clear. It does imply that yes.

That's why I brought up the whole issue of that subordinate clause sitting there --- for no other apparent reason, which.... as I noted when I brought it up..... has never been explained.

Among the various uses for "arms", a "well regulated militia" is the only one cited. Had they intended no qualification, i.e. had they meant "the People" in general ------ there would be no reason to cite any application at all. And yet ----- they did, specifically.

Forum List

Back