Latino Immigrants Falling In Line With Past Migration Grouops - Language-wise

Flopper, what part of the country do you live in??
Right now I'm in Washington, but I've lived two years in Tuscon and and about 8 years in Miami, so I'm pretty familiar with the problem. I was born in a small southern town that 70% black.

California is not 54% Mexican. Do you have a link?

Last edited:
Regardless of the propaganda, Latino immigrants are becoming English dominate and most become English only as the generation increase. See the story. By 3rd generation only 17% of Mex-Americans speak spanish and ONLY 5% speak Spanish in the 4th generations.

As the illegal immigration fight moves nowhere, I am glad to know the fear of by a country of two languages where the sides speak different languages appears not to be an issue.

There are only good and valid reasons to fight illegal immigration and secure the border, but I am again glad that losing our language isn't one of them.

Sorry, I don't speak Spanish: Hispanics deal with the loss of Spanish fluency | Minero Magazine
The results of The Children of Immigrants Longitudinal Study conveyed that 17 percent of third-generation Mexican-Americans speak Spanish, while 5 percent of the fourth generation speaks Spanish. Campbell describes the absence of a mother language in upcoming generations as a form of assimilation. “By and large in the United States, it is the pressure of the American culture that forces Mexicans or Latinos to ultimately make English their first language,” Campbell says.

He credits the preference of the English language among the youth in El Paso to be inevitable because of the fact that it is all around them. “We have to be realistic—Spanish is confronted by American popular culture. English is needed in the school systems, in getting a job and in terms of their social identity and their social lives,” he says. “Students may speak Spanish at home with their family, which is usually the case for second and third generations, but ultimately it begins slanting to English.”

English is introduced during the early levels of the American public education system, which plays a role in Spanish fluency loss among young Mexican-Americans. In elementary school programs, Spanish speakers are transitioned from speaking Spanish to speaking English. Matthew Castro, a second-generation Mexican-American, grew up speaking Spanish at home, but at an early age was transitioned to the English language. “I grew up speaking Spanish, but probably when I was 6 or 7 years old, I started to pick up English,” he says. “School was probably the reason why I stopped talking Spanish.”

I would like to know what this post is based on. Because, I have noticed in the last twenty years + that Spanish speakers and Spanish media in the erstwhile English speaking country of America has grown exponetoionaly [sic] and that has to be tied to the influx of Mexican illegals. Or it's just a coincidence.

Yeah, you can also access print, television, radio, and online media in Chinese, Portuguese, Khmer, Korean, etc. America is still here and English is still the dominant language. Calm down.

I find it odd, that despite all these stats quoted off the internet about Hispanic acclimation, how little of that actually translates into reality in the first person. My take on this is that Mexican (Latino) immigrants , a whopping huge number of them won't learn English because...they just don't have too. We make it easy on them, because we are so nice. Aren't we though. I have known plenty of immigrants, Mexicans, Lithuanians, Hungarians, Poles, Vietnamese, Koreans, Russian...But, Mexicans take the cake. Not only do they ignore the host culture, as if they were entitled somehow, but they are offended if someone notices their arrogant attitude. And then to make matters worse, they don't understand why Americans might take offence at that attitude. And, then we get people on this board that take on that self same smug defensive attitude, about racism and hate...It's enough to give the pope a stroke.

I find it odd, that despite all these stats quoted off the internet about Hispanic acclimation, how little of that actually translates into reality in the first person.

That's because you're illogical (and probably halfway through a bottle of cooking sherry already).

I find it odd, that despite all these stats quoted off the internet about Hispanic acclimation, how little of that actually translates into reality in the first person. My take on this is that Mexican (Latino) immigrants , a whopping huge number of them won't learn English because...they just don't have too. We make it easy on them, because we are so nice. Aren't we though. I have known plenty of immigrants, Mexicans, Lithuanians, Hungarians, Poles, Vietnamese, Koreans, Russian...But, Mexicans take the cake. Not only do they ignore the host culture, as if they were entitled somehow, but they are offended if someone notices their arrogant attitude. And then to make matters worse, they don't understand why Americans might take offence at that attitude. And, then we get people on this board that take on that self same smug defensive attitude, about racism and hate...It's enough to give the pope a stroke.

My experience in California is different. I was also married to a Latina so I've been part of their community. Most do want to learn English and want their children to also. Learning english is not easy for some adults that work only with other non english speakers and live in households where no one speaks English. It's not easy learning a foreign language as an adult. Till I spent time in Mexico and south america (Venezuela, Argentina, Peru), I wasn't very fluent. I had taken spanish classes, but needed the total immersion to put it to practice. I still go to a coach now and then to practice my diction/pronunciation. How many day laborers can do this even if they can afford it?

Right now I'm in Washington, but I've lived two years in Tuscon and and about 8 years in Miami, so I'm pretty familiar with the problem. I was born in a small southern town that 70% black.

The little punk likes to demand proof but never provides any himself. And when presented with FACTS that directly contradict his asinine assumptions he just denies reality or runs away with his tail between his legs. He's got some growing up to do.

Today's immigrants are adopting the English language at least as well as those waves of immigrants who came before them. Much faster, in fact, than some of the ancestors of those very big mouths crying about pressing 1 or pressing 2 today.

I'm all for letting anybody who wants to come here come here as long as they have a job and aren't allowed to collect public welfare benefits. After so many years here if they want to apply for citizenship and can prove they are able to pull their own weight then fine.

Yup. Good Idea.
Lets start with letting an illegal take your job.
Another one that just doesnt get it.

I have no irrational fear of an illegal taking my job. I've worked for my company for 12 years because I am qualified, highly skilled, and desired by my employer. Perhaps you are none of those things, in which case, I can see why you'd be concerned.

I'm all for letting anybody who wants to come here come here as long as they have a job and aren't allowed to collect public welfare benefits. After so many years here if they want to apply for citizenship and can prove they are able to pull their own weight then fine.

Your post is so ignorant that I must post again.
Illegals drive down wages, working conditions and benifits.
That is fact and is undisputed anywhere.
Wages have already been stagnant for 30 years and now you want to let in the ones that
will work for almost nothing, with no benifits and with no worries about their working conditions? Oh its ok because they work sooooooo haaaaarrrrd. What happenes to an economy when perople have no money to spend and they have no credit?
Well, when wages are so low and bennies are so few and people need to feed their kids and themselves but the job pays too little and the gov will give them more!
What do you think they'll do?
You sir, sooooooo dont get it.
You, sir, are a big part of this problem.

So you're not a free market Capitalist?

When Hispanics learn English, they become bilingual. Just because someone is speaking Spanish does not mean they can't speak English.

Yup. Good Idea.
Lets start with letting an illegal take your job.
Another one that just doesnt get it.

I have no irrational fear of an illegal taking my job. I've worked for my company for 12 years because I am qualified, highly skilled, and desired by my employer. Perhaps you are none of those things, in which case, I can see why you'd be concerned.
The strongest attacks on a minority comes from those who feel their social and economic status is threaten or from those who represent them. Blacks in the south were hated by blue collar whites who feared advancement by blacks meant lose of jobs. Much of the same attitude is directed against poor Hispanics today.

Last edited:
I just got back from shopping at Wal-Mart. I shop there because I can't afford to go anywhere else. A good two thirds of the people there spouting Española. I find that rather disrespectful. Coming from people that just want to be "accepted", they find it in their hearts to reject English. They are NOT actually speaking English in public. Saying you are learning English is one thing, but when they aren't actually doing that in REAL time, that is proof apparent. Thirty years ago, I never heard any foreign language in public. The fact it's commonplace NOW, speaks for itself. OH, the freedom of speech thing....yeah. That works wonderfully well if you have a common language. Not so much if everyone is speaking drabble from bable. And so it goes.

I just got back from shopping at Wal-Mart. I shop there because I can't afford to go anywhere else. A good two thirds of the people there spouting Española. I find that rather disrespectful. Coming from people that just want to be "accepted", they find it in their hearts to reject English. They are NOT actually speaking English in public. Saying you are learning English is one thing, but when they aren't actually doing that in REAL time, that is proof apparent. Thirty years ago, I never heard any foreign language in public. The fact it's commonplace NOW, speaks for itself. OH, the freedom of speech thing....yeah. That works wonderfully well if you have a common language. Not so much if everyone is speaking drabble from bable. And so it goes.
How is it disrespectfully? They can use whatever language they wish to communicate with each other and it's really not any of your business how they communicate. I was in France for about a year and I picked up some of the language. However, when I was with people that spoke English I certainly spoke English in public. A Hispanic I hired to work on our deck had two people working for him that spoke Spanish. They conversed throughout the day in Spanish probably because one of them spoke little English. When I spoke to him, he spoke perfect English.

Last edited:
R
Im sitting in a McDonalds in Glendora.
The only language i hear is mexican. Including the people behind the counter.

The language to which you are referring is Spanish, you idiot. And get your fat, disgusting ass out of McDonald's, you've got enough problems.

First of all you POS, I am 6'2" and weigh 220lbs so, I am not fat. Also, i am not an idiot as I realize this problem and you do not so, you are the idiot. And.my whole body was in Mc Donalde, not just my ass...that is what you are. The language is mex. Another childish post from a child is all your post is.

Regardless of the propaganda, Latino immigrants are becoming English dominate and most become English only as the generation increase. See the story. By 3rd generation only 17% of Mex-Americans speak spanish and ONLY 5% speak Spanish in the 4th generations.

As the illegal immigration fight moves nowhere, I am glad to know the fear of by a country of two languages where the sides speak different languages appears not to be an issue.

There are only good and valid reasons to fight illegal immigration and secure the border, but I am again glad that losing our language isn't one of them.

I would like to know what this post is based on. Because, I have noticed in the last twenty years + that Spanish speakers and Spanish media in the erstwhile English speaking country of America has grown exponetoionaly [sic] and that has to be tied to the influx of Mexican illegals. Or it's just a coincidence.

Yeah, you can also access print, television, radio, and online media in Chinese, Portuguese, Khmer, Korean, etc. America is still here and English is still the dominant language. Calm down.

Ahhh...theres that normalcy bias raising its head again.

The little punk likes to demand proof but never provides any himself. And when presented with FACTS that directly contradict his asinine assumptions he just denies reality or runs away with his tail between his legs. He's got some growing up to do.

Ha ha ha. You make me laugh. Ummmm...maybe I wasnt here to debate? Maybe?

Today's immigrants are adopting the English language at least as well as those waves of immigrants who came before them. Much faster, in fact, than some of the ancestors of those very big mouths crying about pressing 1 or pressing 2 today.

So...neither of you are in California...right?

Forum List

Back