Last decade is snowiest on record!!!

From your link
The monster blizzard of 2015 will be adding to what is already the snowiest decade on the East Coast.

It's called "Global" Warming...or Climate Change if you prefer.

How does the increase in localised snow on the East Coast of the US balance out against the drought on the West Coast or the reduction of snow at the poles?
Republicans don't believe there is reduction of ice at the poles. They don't believe California is having a drought. Look at Westwall. You can link directly a site dedicated to recording the record drought on the west coast and all he sees is the Mojave Desert in Southern California. You try to educate him on how the drought is affecting that part of the country and he says, " pointless to look at what you post because it is invariably wrong" without a shred of evidence and not a single example. Worse, people like that will say you don't know how to debate because in their own tiny minds, they are "Master Debaters".

I never said Cali wasn't having a drought you lying sack of poo. I said it wasn't anything unusual, and that when it had lasted 100 years I would be concerned based on past experiences. You know derpy it's real hard to take any seriously who makes lies on such a regular basis as you.

From your link
The monster blizzard of 2015 will be adding to what is already the snowiest decade on the East Coast.

How does the increase in localised snow on the East Coast of the US balance out against the drought on the West Coast or the reduction of snow at the poles?

That's the thing. It's called natural variation. That's why you have to go back and look at averages over long periods of time. This drought for all the bleating going on is really not bad. Yet. After it has gone on for a hundred years I will be concerned. California has had multiple droughts over the last 1200 years, some of them lasting over 200 years, so, compared to that...this is a dawdle.

"So what is causing the current drought?

Ingram and other paleoclimatologists have correlated several historic megadroughts with a shift in the surface temperature of the Pacific Ocean that occurs every 20 to 30 years—something called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO). The PDO is similar to an El Nino event except it lasts for decades—as its name implies—whereas an El Nino event lasts 6 to 18 months. Cool phases of the PDO result in less precipitation because cooler sea temperatures bump the jet stream north, which in turn pushes off storms that would otherwise provide rain and snow to California. Ingram says entire lakes dried up in California following a cool phase of the PDO several thousand years ago. Warm phases have been linked to numerous storms along the California coast.

"We have been in a fairly cold phase of PDO since the early 2000s," says Brian Fuchs, a climatologist at the National Drought Mitigation Center, "so the drought we are seeing now makes sense."

200 Years Of Scorchitude Professor Warns California To Brace For A Mega-Drought Zero Hedge

The difference is the reality that there's now 30 million human beings living there. If one of these 200 year droughts did happen = oh'fuck.

And what happens when the water dries up? People move. Look through history dude. It is the history of human migration, almost always due to resource depletion. The fact remains that Cali is mostly desert where the major population lives, and no amount human hubris is going to change that. The arrogance of people who think that man can just willy nilly plant his fat ass on any parcel of Earth he desires, is once again going to be shown false.
Whaaaat???? When the water dries up, people move? Move where????
Hilarious. Just when I think you can't be anymore ridiculous, you prove me wrong. Maybe I should add that to my signature line. I'll have to think on it.

From your link

When you consider that the east coast was buried under 1 mile of ice and the west coast was desert... Nothing has really changed in the major scheme of things for several hundred thousand years. The ice comes and goes as does the desert conditions. As the Holocene (our current warm period) appears to be coming to a close I fear you may get to see just how fast ice begins to build up..
You dumb ass, Booby, when there was continental glaciers, the West Coast was anything but a desert. There were several huge lakes in Eastern Oregon, with forests and and a wonderful assemblage of big game. The Colombia was a much larger river than today, and the Chehalis was nearly as large as todays Colombia. Even as we came out of the ice age, the land was far greener than today. As evidenced by the remains we find of the Clovis culture in the Steens.

When there was a mile thick slab of ice on the Sierra Nevada mountains the Mojave Desert, was still desert silly man. You claim to be taking geology classes, go look at the paleoclimate of the area during the late Pleistocene, early Holocene.

Well, Walleyes, once again your lies catch up with you.

Our Dynamic Desert

glaciallakes.gif

This map show the location of major lakes and river in the Mojave region at the close of the last Ice Age (late Pleistocene, about 15,000 years ago). At the peak of the last Ice Age, the Lake Manix overflowed into Lake Mojave (which included both Soda Lake and Silver Lake basins). The Mojave River also flowed northward and merged with the Amargosa River before spilling into Lake Manley, the ancient lake that filled Death Valley. The drainage system has also been postulated to have spilled over into the basins of Bristol Lake, Cadiz Lake, and Danby Lake before possibly flowing into the Colorado River drainage, but evidence for this drainage route has not been clearly resolved, partly because more recent alluvial sediments may cover the ancient stream channels. (Map modified after Blackwelder, 1954; note that the extent of the lakes shown here do not correspond to the maximum extent of lakes in the past. For examples, Lake Manix encompassed Coyote Lake and surrounding regions, and Lake Mojave encompassed more than the current Silver Lake and Soda Lake basins.)

From your link

Republicans don't believe there is reduction of ice at the poles. They don't believe California is having a drought. Look at Westwall. You can link directly a site dedicated to recording the record drought on the west coast and all he sees is the Mojave Desert in Southern California. You try to educate him on how the drought is affecting that part of the country and he says, " pointless to look at what you post because it is invariably wrong" without a shred of evidence and not a single example. Worse, people like that will say you don't know how to debate because in their own tiny minds, they are "Master Debaters".

I never said Cali wasn't having a drought you lying sack of poo. I said it wasn't anything unusual, and that when it had lasted 100 years I would be concerned based on past experiences. You know derpy it's real hard to take any seriously who makes lies on such a regular basis as you.
It has to last a hundred years before you're concerned???? You won't live a hundred years Mr. Dunceworth. Maybe you should quit while you are........no, don't quit. I need the laughs.

From your link

That's the thing. It's called natural variation. That's why you have to go back and look at averages over long periods of time. This drought for all the bleating going on is really not bad. Yet. After it has gone on for a hundred years I will be concerned. California has had multiple droughts over the last 1200 years, some of them lasting over 200 years, so, compared to that...this is a dawdle.

Ingram and other paleoclimatologists have correlated several historic megadroughts with a shift in the surface temperature of the Pacific Ocean that occurs every 20 to 30 years—something called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO). The PDO is similar to an El Nino event except it lasts for decades—as its name implies—whereas an El Nino event lasts 6 to 18 months. Cool phases of the PDO result in less precipitation because cooler sea temperatures bump the jet stream north, which in turn pushes off storms that would otherwise provide rain and snow to California. Ingram says entire lakes dried up in California following a cool phase of the PDO several thousand years ago. Warm phases have been linked to numerous storms along the California coast.

"We have been in a fairly cold phase of PDO since the early 2000s," says Brian Fuchs, a climatologist at the National Drought Mitigation Center, "so the drought we are seeing now makes sense."

200 Years Of Scorchitude Professor Warns California To Brace For A Mega-Drought Zero Hedge

The difference is the reality that there's now 30 million human beings living there. If one of these 200 year droughts did happen = oh'fuck.

And what happens when the water dries up? People move. Look through history dude. It is the history of human migration, almost always due to resource depletion. The fact remains that Cali is mostly desert where the major population lives, and no amount human hubris is going to change that. The arrogance of people who think that man can just willy nilly plant his fat ass on any parcel of Earth he desires, is once again going to be shown false.
Hilarious. Just when I think you can't be anymore ridiculous, you prove me wrong. Maybe I should add that to my signature line. I'll have to think on it.

So, this is for the terminally stupid...that would be you derpy. The only reason why there are as many people in SoCal is because of the massive water works to support them.

William Mulholland, you know the guy they named the boulevard after, famously said "if LA doesn't get the water, it won't need the water" (I'll let you try and wrap your tiny little brain around what that means) in speaking about the water wars being fought between Inyo and Los Angeles Counties. The San Fernando Valley investors, once the spigot was turned on changed the Owens Valley from "The Switzerland of California" into a desert.

So, if the water were never imported the people would never have been there in the first place. Dumbass!

From your link

When you consider that the east coast was buried under 1 mile of ice and the west coast was desert... Nothing has really changed in the major scheme of things for several hundred thousand years. The ice comes and goes as does the desert conditions. As the Holocene (our current warm period) appears to be coming to a close I fear you may get to see just how fast ice begins to build up..
You dumb ass, Booby, when there was continental glaciers, the West Coast was anything but a desert. There were several huge lakes in Eastern Oregon, with forests and and a wonderful assemblage of big game. The Colombia was a much larger river than today, and the Chehalis was nearly as large as todays Colombia. Even as we came out of the ice age, the land was far greener than today. As evidenced by the remains we find of the Clovis culture in the Steens.

When there was a mile thick slab of ice on the Sierra Nevada mountains the Mojave Desert, was still desert silly man. You claim to be taking geology classes, go look at the paleoclimate of the area during the late Pleistocene, early Holocene.

Well, Walleyes, once again your lies catch up with you.

Our Dynamic Desert

glaciallakes.gif

This map show the location of major lakes and river in the Mojave region at the close of the last Ice Age (late Pleistocene, about 15,000 years ago). At the peak of the last Ice Age, the Lake Manix overflowed into Lake Mojave (which included both Soda Lake and Silver Lake basins). The Mojave River also flowed northward and merged with the Amargosa River before spilling into Lake Manley, the ancient lake that filled Death Valley. The drainage system has also been postulated to have spilled over into the basins of Bristol Lake, Cadiz Lake, and Danby Lake before possibly flowing into the Colorado River drainage, but evidence for this drainage route has not been clearly resolved, partly because more recent alluvial sediments may cover the ancient stream channels. (Map modified after Blackwelder, 1954; note that the extent of the lakes shown here do not correspond to the maximum extent of lakes in the past. For examples, Lake Manix encompassed Coyote Lake and surrounding regions, and Lake Mojave encompassed more than the current Silver Lake and Soda Lake basins.)

Yes, the lakes were all over, just like this lake. What is that around this lake? Oh yeah....desert. Instead of just doing a quickie looksee on the net, how about you actually look at the quaternary alluvial deposits and what they are constructed of. Hmmm? How about doing some real research instead of trying to fake it. Better yet, you're supposedly a geology student, there is a 2nd year class offered by most western colleges called the "Geology of California" that go's into great detail describing the arid environment that the Pleistocene lakes existed in.
Lake+Powell+Wallpapers+(1).jpg

From your link

It has to last a hundred years before you're concerned???? You won't live a hundred years Mr. Dunceworth. Maybe you should quit while you are........no, don't quit. I need the laughs.

Well gee. Imagine that. I live in an area where it isn't a concern. Who woulda thunk that a person could move away from a bad area?

This hardly sounds like the picture you posted, Walleyes.

Our Dynamic Desert

Changing Climates and Ancient Lakes

The impact of both long-term and short-term climatic oscillations can be seen on the landscape. Glaciation periods lasting many thousands of years have happened repeatedly throughout the Quaternary Period. The last of these glaciation cycles ended roughly 15,000 years ago, and although glaciers did not form in the Mojave region, the overall wetter and cooler conditions that existed during glaciation periods had an impact on weathering and erosion patterns in the region. Many questions about the impact of climate change on the desert environments remain unresolved, however casual observations demonstrate that climate changes are reflected by the landscape. For instance, excavations into playas (dry lake beds) have yielded fossil remains of shelled invertebrates, fish, and plants that only could survive in perennial lake environments. Likewise, the giant sand dune fields that exist in the region today likely could not have formed when wetter conditions persisted in the region. Persistent wetter conditions cause soil to form faster and allow plants to cover what may otherwise be a barren landscape. These factors, in turn, reflect on how stream erode or deposit sediments on the landscape. The study of Quaternary lake sediments in the Mojave region has been the target of ongoing research for many decades. The climate-induced formation and disappearance of lakes in the Mojave region has also influenced the development of river drainage systems in the region over time, particularly of the Mojave, Owens, and Amargosa rivers drainages. These rivers are now mostly ephemeral in nature, but during the wettest periods of the Ice Ages they were likely sizable rivers complete with a rich fauna and flora.

Our Dynamic Desert

The impact of both long-term and short-term climatic oscillations can be seen on the landscape. Glaciation periods lasting many thousands of years have happened repeatedly throughout the Quaternary Period. The last of these glaciation cycles ended roughly 15,000 years ago, and although glaciers did not form in the Mojave region, the overall wetter and cooler conditions that existed during glaciation periods had an impact on weathering and erosion patterns in the region. Many questions about the impact of climate change on the desert environments remain unresolved, however casual observations demonstrate that climate changes are reflected by the landscape. For instance, excavations into playas (dry lake beds) have yielded fossil remains of shelled invertebrates, fish, and plants that only could survive in perennial lake environments. Likewise, the giant sand dune fields that exist in the region today likely could not have formed when wetter conditions persisted in the region. Persistent wetter conditions cause soil to form faster and allow plants to cover what may otherwise be a barren landscape. These factors, in turn, reflect on how stream erode or deposit sediments on the landscape. The study of Quaternary lake sediments in the Mojave region has been the target of ongoing research for many decades. The climate-induced formation and disappearance of lakes in the Mojave region has also influenced the development of river drainage systems in the region over time, particularly of the Mojave, Owens, and Amargosa rivers drainages. These rivers are now mostly ephemeral in nature, but during the wettest periods of the Ice Ages they were likely sizable rivers complete with a rich fauna and flora.

C'mon olfraud, you truly can't be that stupid. Can you? Imagine that, lacustrine critters were able to live in a lacustrine environment. Take a look at an oasis sometime. What is an oasis? My, my, it is a lacustrine environment SURROUNDED by desert. I thought you were supposed to be smart?

From your link

So, this is for the terminally stupid...that would be you derpy. The only reason why there are as many people in SoCal is because of the massive water works to support them.

William Mulholland, you know the guy they named the boulevard after, famously said "if LA doesn't get the water, it won't need the water" (I'll let you try and wrap your tiny little brain around what that means) in speaking about the water wars being fought between Inyo and Los Angeles Counties. The San Fernando Valley investors, once the spigot was turned on changed the Owens Valley from "The Switzerland of California" into a desert.

So, if the water were never imported the people would never have been there in the first place. Dumbass!

You said: The San Fernando Valley investors, once the spigot was turned on changed the Owens Valley from "The Switzerland of California" into a desert.

Or it could be they are having a drought. It's every excuse to you but the truth.

Our Dynamic Desert

C'mon olfraud, you truly can't be that stupid. Can you? Imagine that, lacustrine critters were able to live in a lacustrine environment. Take a look at an oasis sometime. What is an oasis? My, my, it is a lacustrine environment SURROUNDED by desert. I thought you were supposed to be smart?

You don't believe in fossils? Do you think bones in the ground was God showing us what creatures look like on other planets?

You said: The San Fernando Valley investors, once the spigot was turned on changed the Owens Valley from "The Switzerland of California" into a desert.

Or it could be they are having a drought. It's every excuse to you but the truth.
oh gawd!!!! dude.................

Our Dynamic Desert

You don't believe in fossils? Do you think bones in the ground was God showing us what creatures look like on other planets?
holy crap, more stupidddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd. did you even read the reply from westwall/ Or are you just continuing to look stupid? come on man, at least make a post that follows along. Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you mentally challenged? The drying up of the Owen Valley occurred way back in the 1920's when Los Angeles took all of the water from the lake there. Then, to compound matters, they began sucking the water up all the way up to Mono Lake, till they almost dried that lake up too!

This is all well known, very well known history, derpy. You worry me. Your lack of knowledge of pretty much everything leads me to believe you are either really, really dumb, or a computer posting per direction.

Are you mentally challenged? The drying up of the Owen Valley occurred way back in the 1920's when Los Angeles took all of the water from the lake there. Then, to compound matters, they began sucking the water up all the way up to Mono Lake, till they almost dried that lake up too!

This is all well known, very well known history, derpy. You worry me. Your lack of knowledge of pretty much everything leads me to believe you are either really, really dumb, or a computer posting per direction.
You still won't answer why the rest of the state up into Oregon and Washington are experiencing drought. Are you saying LA is taking water from three states?

You still won't answer why the rest of the state up into Oregon and Washington are experiencing drought. Are you saying LA is taking water from three states?
Hello.... McFly.... there is this thing called the PDO and its gone COLD.. freaking MORON! There is always west coast drought when the PDO is cold!

Well, actually, yes they are. LA also gets water from the Colorado River and of course the Owens valley gets runoff from Nevada, so Los Angeles gets water from as far away as Colorado, and it also sucks water from Utah and Arizona. So, 4 states and it robs water from the northern half of itself.

As I said, derpy, your colossal ignorance about this very well known situation is frankly astonishing.

Southern California is a DESERT! Has ALWAYS been a DESERT, and will ALWAYS BE a DESERT. The fact that millions of people decided to move there doesn't negate the fact that it's a DESERT!

Hello.... McFly.... there is this thing called the PDO and its gone COLD.. freaking MORON! There is always west coast drought when the PDO is cold!
So, when the temperatures are higher, there is always drought in the northwest, or is it the northern states and along the coast they actually get more rain. Better go check it out.
And how long does it last?
What is the range of temperature change?
How much land does it affect?

In fact, why would you even believe scientists? You know your kind doesn't.

See, you said nothing and called someone else a moron. Can't you see? When you answer the way you did, it's you that's the moron. Clearly.

Well, actually, yes they are. LA also gets water from the Colorado River and of course the Owens valley gets runoff from Nevada, so Los Angeles gets water from as far away as Colorado, and it also sucks water from Utah and Arizona. So, 4 states and it robs water from the northern half of itself.

As I said, derpy, your colossal ignorance about this very well known situation is frankly astonishing.

Southern California is a DESERT! Has ALWAYS been a DESERT, and will ALWAYS BE a DESERT. The fact that millions of people decided to move there doesn't negate the fact that it's a DESERT!
So Los Angeles is stealing water from 4 or 6 states (including Washington and Oregen?) and those states are doing nothing about it. They just let it happen? And you call me ignorant? Shut up. Just shut up.

So, when the temperatures are higher, there is always drought in the northwest, or is it the northern states and along the coast they actually get more rain. Better go check it out.
And how long does it last?
What is the range of temperature change?
How much land does it affect?

In fact, why would you even believe scientists? You know your kind doesn't.

See, you said nothing and called someone else a moron. Can't you see? When you answer the way you did, it's you that's the moron. Clearly.

Another clueless cause is effect moronic answer... Use your dam brain... Wait, I keep forgetting your brain is to follow the bell where ever it rings next.... baaaaa baaaaa baaaa...

SO tell me moron, how long does the PDO shift last and what does that decrease in water vapor do to inland temperatures?

Forum List

Back