Kroger has to pay $180,000 to workers who were fired after they wouldn't wear LQBTQ+ pride symbols

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Another win for the good guys!

• An Arkansas federal judge ordered Kroger to pay two former employees $180,000.
  • They were fired from the store after refusing to wear an apron with a "multicolored heart," court documents show.
  • "Both have sincerely held religious beliefs that homosexuality is a sin and that they cannot support or promote it," the judge wrote.

Kroger has to pay $180,000 to two former employees who were fired after they refused to wear a company apron with a phrase that they considered to be an LGBTQ+ symbol after a lawsuit.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a lawsuit on behalf of the two employees who were disciplined and ultimately fired from their jobs at a Kroger in Conway, Arkansas. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Brenda Lawson and Trudy Rickerd on September 14, 2020, in Eastern Arkansas District court, according to court documents.

• An Arkansas federal judge ordered Kroger to pay two former employees $180,000.
  • They were fired from the store after refusing to wear an apron with a "multicolored heart," court documents show.
  • "Both have sincerely held religious beliefs that homosexuality is a sin and that they cannot support or promote it," the judge wrote.

Stop; lying. It had to do with a Religious Discrimination.

According to the EEOC’s lawsuit, Kroger Limited Partnership I engaged in religious discrimination when it disciplined and ultimately fired the employees for refusing to wear an apron with the company’s “Our Promise” symbol because they believed it represented support for the LGBTQ+ community. Kroger denies the allegations.

According to the EEOC’s lawsuit, Kroger Limited Partnership I engaged in religious discrimination when it disciplined and ultimately fired the employees for refusing to wear an apron with the company’s “Our Promise” symbol because they believed it represented support for the LGBTQ+ community. Kroger denies the allegations.
You just validated his ‘lie’ is fact, Dufus.

The sad thing is that it took over two years for them to finally get to this point. My big question is were the two workers able to get jobs somewhere else? To be fired over something like this kind of matter could be the very reason why the place was sued. Kroger may have only made it harder for the two people to get another job.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

No shit, Sherlock

I actually agree. You should not force workers to wear political, religious or ideological messages or symbols. They should not have been fired.

The sad thing is that it took over two years for them to finally get to this point. My big question is were the two workers able to get jobs somewhere else? To be fired over something like this kind of matter could be the very reason why the place was sued. Kroger may have only made it harder for the two people to get another job.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly
All Kroger has to do is to offer them a job inside the company in the most out of the way place. They should have done that in the first year. If they do agree to rehiring them then the lawsuit can be bounced.

No shit, Sherlock
I actually agree. You should not force workers to wear political, religious or ideological messages or symbols. They should not have been fired.

Now lets take a good look at the logo. This is titled "Our Promise"
221028-kroger2-sj-122p-1f0332.jpg

Now for the closest LBGBT Logo. Lgbqt Logo - Bing images

OIP.Id_6QsOwSzWMKqA_L4GfiwHaH9

I think Kroger just needs to make a change in that single logo. I also believe the court is full of it.

I struggle with stuff like this.

I strongly defended and will continue to defend to this day the right of a Christian baker to refuse to bake a wedding cake and set it up at a gay wedding. The gay couple had been long time customers and were treated as friends in the place when they came in for other products offered for sale. But the baker did not believe in gay marriage and should never have been forced to participate in something he did not offer for sale and went against his religious beliefs. But that was his business, his turf.

Employees who work for somebody else should expect to follow the protocol, rules, regs, including wearing uniforms established and provided by the employer however unjust, ridiculous, improper, or wrong they may believe those to be. If they have religious objections to any of it, they should amicably resign and move on. Their employers should give them letters of recommendation if they are good employees, but, however much of a jerk it would make him, he should not have to accommodate the religious convictions of his employees.

I struggle with stuff like this.

I strongly defended and will continue to defend to this day the right of a Christian baker to refuse to bake a wedding cake and set it up at a gay wedding. The gay couple had been long time customers and were treated as friends in the place when they came in for other products offered for sale. But the baker did not believe in gay marriage and should never have been forced to participate in something he did not offer for sale and went against his religious beliefs. But that was his business, his turf.

Employees who work for somebody else should expect to follow the protocol, rules, regs, including wearing uniforms established and provided by the employer however unjust, ridiculous, improper, or wrong they may believe those to be. If they have religious objections to any of it, they should amicably resign and move on. Their employers should give them letters of recommendation if they are good employees, but, however much of a jerk it would make him, he should not have to accommodate the religious convictions of his employees.

Just the opposite, Employees of Hobby Hut are forced to abide by the owners for birth control right down to before sex preventive methods that are suppose to be funded by the ACA (sometimes called Obamacare).

Just the opposite, Employees of Hobby Hut are forced to abide by the owners for birth control right down to before sex preventive methods that are suppose to be funded by the ACA (sometimes called Obamacare).
So how is that different from what I said? Kroger should be able to set its policies for its employees no matter how smart or proper or stupid or out of touch those might be. Same thing, Hobby Lobby should be able to set its own policies for its employees including what benefits it chooses to offer. Nobody is forced to work for Hobby Lobby and if they don't like the policies, hours, wages, benefits they are free to work elsewhere.

If an employee is uncomfortable wearing a symbol then they shouldn't have to. Evidently the courts agree
But where do you draw the line? An employee doesn't want to wear the uniform provided by his employer that is required of all employees. Should an employer allow him/her to not wear the uniform all employees are required to wear? If the proper business attire is suit and tie or corporate dress for the women, do the employees get to turn thumbs down on that just because they're uncomfortable?

The employer cannot demand that his employees believe, think, like anything that they don't. He cannot demand that somebody work for him/her. But it is the employer's business. As an employee I can ask for special treatment or privilege, but I have no right to demand it of my employer. It's his turf. He/she gets to set the rules for protocol, dress, and all other rules and regs in that business. If as a matter of conscience I can't follow them--I have had a job once in which I could not--then I resign and move on to something else. If I refuse and don't quit, the employer has every right to fire me.

All Kroger has to do is to offer them a job inside the company in the most out of the way place. They should have done that in the first year. If they do agree to rehiring them then the lawsuit can be bounced.
Offering them something out of the way is still a form of punishment when the two workers were never guilty of any wrongdoing in the first place. If the business has no intention of practicing fair and equal treatment, what is the point of their ever preaching about it then?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

But where do you draw the line? An employee doesn't want to wear the uniform provided by his employer that is required of all employees. Should an employer allow him/her to not wear the uniform all employees are required to wear? If the proper business attire is shirt and tie or corporate dress for the women, do the employees get to turn thumbs down on that just because they're uncomfortable?

The employer cannot demand that his employees believe, think, like anything that they don't. He cannot demand that somebody work for him/her. But it is the employer's business. As an employee I can ask for special treatment or privilege, but I have no right to demand it of my employer. It's his turf. He/she gets to set the rules for protocol, dress, and all other rules and regs in that business. If as a matter of conscience I can't follow them--I have had a job once in which I could not--then I resign and move on to something else. If I refuse and don't quit, the employer has every right to fire me.

My understanding is Kroger instituted the policy and the employees refused.

The employees have every right to refuse something that goes against their beliefs. Same if say Hobby Lobby suddenly demanded employees wear a cross symbol. I'd back an employee that refused

Forum List

Back