Killer sets trap, says its "stand your ground"

That anyone would even ATTEMPT to defend this guy's despicable behavior boggles my mind.

That anyone would even ATTEMPT to defend this thief's despicable behavior boggles my mind.

If...a big if...this guy "set a trap", that is indeed wrong, but let's not forget the motherfucker that was attempting take what didn't belong to him...m'kay?

in the news stories you have no idea why the kid went into the garage. he may well have been intending to burglarize the place. he may not have..

Pretty stupid thing to do. Trespassing and all.

the asshole that shot him didn't wait to see. he decided that he'd rather shoot an unarmed kid than lose... what exactly?

I'm not sure how you know what was in the mind of another person, but I'd prefer to let a jury decide based on the evidence.

your material possessions are not worth the life of anyone

Bullshit. I have the right to defend my property. Don't steal shit and you won't have a problem. You're free to allow thugs to take from you but you have no right to impose that nonsense on others.

That anyone would even ATTEMPT to defend this thief's despicable behavior boggles my mind.

If...a big if...this guy "set a trap", that is indeed wrong, but let's not forget the motherfucker that was attempting take what didn't belong to him...m'kay?

in the news stories you have no idea why the kid went into the garage. he may well have been intending to burglarize the place. he may not have..

you've never closed your neighbor's garage door when they accidentally left it open at night?
the asshole that shot him didn't wait to see. he decided that he'd rather shoot an unarmed kid than lose... what exactly?

I'm not sure how you know what was in the mind of another person, but I'd prefer to let a jury decide based on the evidence.
you're right, i don't. just as the shooter had no idea what was in the mind of the kid, because he blindly shot into the dark.

Bullshit. I have the right to defend my property. Don't steal shit and you won't have a problem. You're free to allow thugs to take from you but you have no right to impose that nonsense on others.
it's not nonsense. your property is not worth another human life. it just isn't. your property can be replaced. or has nobody told you that they're just things and you can't take it with you?

you've never closed your neighbor's garage door when they accidentally left it open at night?

No, I would knock on their front door and tell them they left the garage door open. I mean, I don't want to get shot...

you're right, i don't. just as the shooter had no idea what was in the mind of the kid, because he blindly shot into the dark.

If true, the jury will take that into consideration.

it's not nonsense. your property is not worth another human life. it just isn't. your property can be replaced. or has nobody told you that they're just things and you can't take it with you?

Again, feel free to allow yourself to be robbed. I'm free to stop such thugs from enriching themselves at my expense. I wouldn't TRY to take a life in that process, but there's no way in hell I'm allowing myself to be victimized. You go right ahead.

So if you leave your garage door open, anyone now has a right to come in and steal whatever they can see.

And since you left the door open you can't defend yourself or your property.

What if it's half open?

defense of property does not allow you to use unreasonable force. which this guy clearly did. case for at least 100 years and codified law make this very clear.

the most famous case is the spring loaded shotgun case. a guy put a spring loaded shotgun in his house so that if anyone opened the door, they would be shot. he wasn't even home. he claimed he was defending his property. he lost.

Gee people who don't try to rob people don't get shot.

Maybe the asshole kid should have minded his own business.

That anyone would even ATTEMPT to defend this guy's despicable behavior boggles my mind.

Oh. Sorry. I didn't know that stealing a purse is a capital offense...

Oh. Sorry. I didn't know that stealing a purse is a capital offense...

There's quite a bit you do not know.

Luddy,

If someone broke into your home and wanted to rape your entire family. What would you do?

Because that is exactly the same level of criminality as in this case.

So you would assume a person who illegally enters your home is going to read your kids a bedtime story or make you dinner ?

Sorry if some scumbag piece of shit enters my home illegally I will assume he is prepared to harm me or my wife because if he wasn't prepared to do so he would have waited until no one was home before he broke in.

Man Who Set A Trap To Kill 17-Year-Old Intruder Invokes Stand Your Ground-Like Defense | ThinkProgress

Seventeen-year-old Diren Dede lost his life Sunday, while in Missoula, Montana on a high school exchange program from Germany. He was shot dead at the home of Markus Kaarma, after Kaarma set a trap for intruders by intentionally leaving the garage open and placing a purse in clear view.

After motion sensors detected someone in the garage, Kaarma shot Dede. And while he has since been charged with first degree murder, he is already invoking a Stand Your Ground-like defense.

Kaarma is not the first to claim he was justified in killing someone after setting a trap. A Minnesota jury rejected Byron Smith’s argument that he was standing his ground when he made it look as though he wasn’t home, and waited in the basement with food and water until two teen intruders descended, and he shot them dead. Audio recorded by Smith depicted him toying with the victims after he shot them, according to the New York Daily News, saying “you’re dead.” He also likened them to “vermin.”

Like we didn't see this coming.

Its a shame that we value things more than we value human lives.

I don't want my belongings stolen but no way is my TV worth more than a human life.

Hey, it's not my "things" I'm worried about when someone breaks into my house. It's my LIFE. My human life.

Doesn't my human life count? Don't I have the right to defend it? You're damn right I do.

Well, the law in my state is that I can defend my life OR my property with lethal force. And if someone comes into my house I'm not going to waste time trying to deduce their intentions.

So.....I am driving on a moderately busy back road yesterday with my daughter. We pass by three puppies frolicking on the side of the road.....basically in the road.

The kid demands that I turn around and go back to get them out of the road. Knowing that the two hour ride will be insufferable if I don't.......I oblige.

The pups were picking at a buzzard that had been run over. The house was apparently vacant....no cars out front. We grabbed the pups and started to bring them up to the house.

As we got a few feet into the driveway, I saw the sign on the porch:

"If you can read this, you are within range"

So much for helping your fellow American. Hope the dogs didn't become road kill.

She cried herself to sleep, by the way.

Man Who Set A Trap To Kill 17-Year-Old Intruder Invokes Stand Your Ground-Like Defense | ThinkProgress

Seventeen-year-old Diren Dede lost his life Sunday, while in Missoula, Montana on a high school exchange program from Germany. He was shot dead at the home of Markus Kaarma, after Kaarma set a trap for intruders by intentionally leaving the garage open and placing a purse in clear view.

After motion sensors detected someone in the garage, Kaarma shot Dede. And while he has since been charged with first degree murder, he is already invoking a Stand Your Ground-like defense.

Kaarma is not the first to claim he was justified in killing someone after setting a trap. A Minnesota jury rejected Byron Smith’s argument that he was standing his ground when he made it look as though he wasn’t home, and waited in the basement with food and water until two teen intruders descended, and he shot them dead. Audio recorded by Smith depicted him toying with the victims after he shot them, according to the New York Daily News, saying “you’re dead.” He also likened them to “vermin.”

I don't want my belongings stolen but no way is my TV worth more than a human life.

Next it will be psychos inviting people into their house, killing them, and claiming they broke in.

in the news stories you have no idea why the kid went into the garage. he may well have been intending to burglarize the place. he may not have.

your material possessions are not worth the life of anyone.

Could be he was trying to sell something or had a real reason to talk to the guy. With the garage open he might have gone in there first looking for him.

Not condoning anyone setting traps. I think that's wrong. But you're assuming that an intruder is in your home for the sole intent to steal your TV. But that's certainly not the only thing that intruders do. They rape, torture, kidnap, and murder as well.

Your TV may not be worth another person's life but is your life or the life of a loved one worth a dangerous intruder's life? You may still not think so but I would shoot an intruder dead in his tracks to protect my wife.

Last edited:
So.....I am driving on a moderately busy back road yesterday with my daughter. We pass by three puppies frolicking on the side of the road.....basically in the road.

The kid demands that I turn around and go back to get them out of the road. Knowing that the two hour ride will be insufferable if I don't.......I oblige.

The pups were picking at a buzzard that had been run over. The house was apparently vacant....no cars out front. We grabbed the pups and started to bring them up to the house.

As we got a few feet into the driveway, I saw the sign on the porch:

"If you can read this, you are within range"

So much for helping your fellow American. Hope the dogs didn't become road kill.

She cried herself to sleep, by the way.

Another pointless anecdote.

Forum List

Back