Keystone pipeline spills more than 350,000 gallons of oil in North Dakota

Oh here's a big surprise.
The Keystone pipeline has spilled hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude oil into North Dakota this week, The New York Times reports.

The pipeline has leaked roughly 383,000 gallons of crude oil, impacting an estimated half-acre of wetland, according to state environmental regulators.

Oil is part of nature.
Did investigators check to see if the line was subject to saboteurs? I'm pretty certain the builders of the line went all-out to ensure that this kind of thing would not likely happen. Of course, human error comes in many forms, and so does the 100-year weather anomaly show itself frequently enough to occur a million times in a billion years....

So many castles in Spain to build, so little time...

Humans won't advance beyond oil. We're in love with mediocrity.
Sorry, Augustine, but oil is responsible for allowing my family to get to see Old Faithful, the beauty of Yellowstone Park, the Cockrell Butterfly Garden at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, a one-on-one experience having my heart jump up into my throat when a huge Snowy Owl thought my little car being driven slowly through a snowstorm after delivering my son to the University of Wyoming after Christmas one winter's night, on the way back home to Casper. The Owl thought my car was food, and he did not know that glass separated me, his prey, from himself when he swooped down and scared the pie outta me, even though I picked up on the details of his exquisite beauty, feather for feather, piercing eyes, and sheer pluck in his mind about having a meal that night, when, his claws that tapped on my front window, let him know this moving target wasn't what he expected, so he swooped up in time to save himself from disaster his mistake caused. It took a whole tank of gas to make the 320-mile round trip to deliver my son and get back home again the same day. I wouldn't change getting to see a predatory bird in his most glorious moment for the world of money, and oil got me there as well as out of there.

Oil gave me the springboard needed for seeing the beautiful places I've been to in this world, and it gives me a way to visit family and new friends in the retirement home we moved to 10 years ago.

Oil also got me to work and back to a wonderful business I own. Every one of us could write a book on where they went because of oil. Even people who say they want to remove oil from this nation use it to go to their day job in Congress. :laugh:

The Keystone pipeline has spilled hundreds of thousands of gallons of crude oil into North Dakota this week, The New York Times reports.

The pipeline has leaked roughly 383,000 gallons of crude oil, impacting an estimated half-acre of wetland, according to state environmental regulators.
A whole half acre
How will the nation ever recover

Yes, we get 160,000 TONS of natural oil seep a year!! Somehow we survive. (see m former post for link, etc.)

Natural oil seep is nothing like the diluted bitumen (dilbit) pumped thru the Keystone. It's a toxic sludge that has to be injected with liquefied natural gas to thin it sufficiently to flow through the pipeline. It's easily contained within 1/2 acre because it doesn't flow without the boosting pump stations of a pipeline. It does, however, have a specific gravity much higher than crude oil. 383,000 gallons on 1/2 acre is 17+ gallons/sf. It won't just sit there - it will seep into the ground. Crude is lighter than water, dilbit is not, increasing the danger to any water table it may contact, or transit top-to-bottom, in the event of a leak. Pipelines are largely-safe, with sensors and excess-flow valves to prevent large leaks, but they are susceptible to attack and accidents. It's borderline insane to transport dilbit across the US and over water tables.

Idiot. The light ends will evaporate and the rest of it will solidify. It's going nowhere. Scoop it up with a loader.

Sorry, Augustine, but oil is responsible for allowing my family to get to see Old Faithful, the beauty of Yellowstone Park, the Cockrell Butterfly Garden at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, a one-on-one experience having my heart jump up into my throat when a huge Snowy Owl thought my little car being driven slowly through a snowstorm after delivering my son to the University of Wyoming after Christmas one winter's night, on the way back home to Casper. The Owl thought my car was food, and he did not know that glass separated me, his prey, from himself when he swooped down and scared the pie outta me, even though I picked up on the details of his exquisite beauty, feather for feather, piercing eyes, and sheer pluck in his mind about having a meal that night, when, his claws that tapped on my front window, let him know this moving target wasn't what he expected, so he swooped up in time to save himself from disaster his mistake caused. It took a whole tank of gas to make the 320-mile round trip to deliver my son and get back home again the same day. I wouldn't change getting to see a predatory bird in his most glorious moment for the world of money, and oil got me there as well as out of there.

Oil gave me the springboard needed for seeing the beautiful places I've been to in this world, and it gives me a way to visit family and new friends in the retirement home we moved to 10 years ago.

Oil also got me to work and back to a wonderful business I own. Every one of us could write a book on where they went because of oil. Even people who say they want to remove oil from this nation use it to go to their day job in Congress. :laugh:
There's nothing wrong with making money, but denying that the fossil fuel industry in general is detrimental to a sustainable future on this planet is unrealistic. We chose profit over the environment and there will be a heavy price, we're already seeing.

There's nothing wrong with making money, but denying that the fossil fuel industry in general is detrimental to a sustainable future on this planet is unrealistic. We chose profit over the environment and there will be a heavy price, we're already seeing.

Then why are you on the internet?

Only idiots care about clean water.
c969495b3ef8dd1546253ec053d0c15f--computer-apple-chicano.jpg

The protestors should all go to jail and pay enormous fines for all the trash they left behind.

------------------ WHERE Angelo .

---------------------------------------------- more importantly is that people need to heat houses and drive cars to go to works Angelo . It gets cold in the Upper Peninsula and all through out the USA Angelo .

---------------------------------------------- more importantly is that people need to heat houses and drive cars to go to works Angelo . It gets cold in the Upper Peninsula and all through out the USA Angelo .
We've been exploiting this planet for decades. It's time to be responsible for a sustainable future.

I'm sure that sounds amusing to all you evangelical oil baron types, since the "Apocalypse is near anyway." smh

Last edited:

We've been exploiting this planet for decades. It's time to be responsible for a sustainable future.

Then you should stop using all petroleum products immediately. Good luck on that, chump.

A whole half acre

Yes, we get 160,000 TONS of natural oil seep a year!! Somehow we survive. (see m former post for link, etc.)

Natural oil seep is nothing like the diluted bitumen (dilbit) pumped thru the Keystone. It's a toxic sludge that has to be injected with liquefied natural gas to thin it sufficiently to flow through the pipeline. It's easily contained within 1/2 acre because it doesn't flow without the boosting pump stations of a pipeline. It does, however, have a specific gravity much higher than crude oil. 383,000 gallons on 1/2 acre is 17+ gallons/sf. It won't just sit there - it will seep into the ground. Crude is lighter than water, dilbit is not, increasing the danger to any water table it may contact, or transit top-to-bottom, in the event of a leak. Pipelines are largely-safe, with sensors and excess-flow valves to prevent large leaks, but they are susceptible to attack and accidents. It's borderline insane to transport dilbit across the US and over water tables.

Idiot. The light ends will evaporate and the rest of it will solidify. It's going nowhere. Scoop it up with a loader.

Those are the same characteristics that make it a more severe threat to water. You're right as to the light ends, but they're a proprietary blend likely containing benzine and wtfelse. The 'solid' is peanut butter-like and there is some transfer. I don't think pipeline safety is a big problem, but they are vulnerable. Why do Canada's dirty work?

A whole half acre

Those are the same characteristics that make it a more severe threat to water. You're right as to the light ends, but they're a proprietary blend likely containing benzine and wtfelse. The 'solid' is peanut butter-like and there is some transfer. I don't think pipeline safety is a big problem, but they are vulnerable. Why do Canada's dirty work?

Fool. It's 35 in Fargo and 26 in Grand Forks today. Sure, that tar is going to flow all over the place.

Then you should stop using all petroleum products immediately. Good luck on that, chump.
------------------------------------------ in the U.P. everyone that can heats with wood . Nowadays though 'do gooders' like YOU are crying about emissions and are regulating wood stove emissions Angelo .

Forum List

Back