Keurig is a complete piece of crap....don't buy it

Meh, mine works just fine.

Sounds like the OP needs one of these instead.

il_794xN.4659700035_ht35.jpg

We ran two of them at hunt camp every morning.
Best coffee pot ever made

We love coffee! Best coffee maker for people that drink a lot, of coffee, that I have experience with was a Bunn Coffee maker, we had in our office, before corporate shut down our branch. It was a plumbed coffee maker (basically stainless inside and out with two warming burners, came with three full sized urns and used the pre-measured pouches in standard drip/filter like a cheap Mr. Coffee. Being plumbed and stainless was key, as the water stayed full and heated when set to auto, so the moment you pushed the start, water started to pour through the coffee giving a consistent brew. We were coffee fiends in that office, going back to the days when we could actually smoke at our desk, a steaming mug usually present, and for me that was on more days average 10 to 12 hours, than 8.
PJ and I are using a Keurig. For consistency and speed, without an urn sitting there over-heating cooking the coffee in the urn, it is great! We are not having the problem you speak of, though putting countless boxes of Keurig cups through it over the last 5 years, though obviously we have had to descale many times. Only thing I would change if buying now, would be to make it a plumbed model, so we didn't have to pour in the water, where it stays under the cabinet above. Our Starbucks, Pike Place Roast expenditure is significant.
I bought my brother-in-law and his wife a bun two decanter coffee maker 40 years ago for they were anniversary they still use it today.

I bought my brother-in-law and his wife a bun two decanter coffee maker 40 years ago for they were anniversary they still use it today.
It's a fine machine, not surprising it stands the test of time. Ours had been in the office break room since shortly after it became our break room instead of the printing room, probably 12 years, never a burp or a misbrew. Free coffee on demand was a hell of a benefit.

Bunn is pretty much the last word in commercial drip machines. When was the last time you went to a restaurant and there wasn't a Bunn machine on the counter?

They make a single-cup brewer called a MyCafe, it can use k-cups and comes with different types of holders so you can use your own grounds or whatever. After burning through a few Keurigs I bought one of the Bunn MyCafe machines. I liked it, but it only lasted a couple years, not a lot longer than a Keurig for me.

I have a shelf of dead Keurigs. Tried the fancy ones with the computers and they died, tried the Office Pro commercial version, it died, went to the cheapest, non-programmable, no display, 4 buttons only, the "classic" model or whatever it's called. They still crap out, but they seem to last longer than the others. I use filtered tap water and the Keurig has a filter too.

I buy k-cups in 80-count boxes for $30, and I have a burr grinder and grind my own beans and use a paper k-cup filter and that works good too. The grounds stay in the filter and it doesn't make a mess.

The coffee from Keurig machines is so-so. French press is better but too damn much work and mess for the amount of coffee I go through (or goes through me, depending on how you look at it).

My sister has a Cuisinart automatic drip machine that I really like. It has a hopper for beans, and an insulated carafe that keep the coffee hot for hours. Fresh grind every time and makes better coffee than the Keurig.

Bunn is pretty much the last word in commercial drip machines. When was the last time you went to a restaurant and there wasn't a Bunn machine on the counter?

They make a single-cup brewer called a MyCafe, it can use k-cups and comes with different types of holders so you can use your own grounds or whatever. After burning through a few Keurigs I bought one of the Bunn MyCafe machines. I liked it, but it only lasted a couple years, not a lot longer than a Keurig for me.

I have a shelf of dead Keurigs. Tried the fancy ones with the computers and they died, tried the Office Pro commercial version, it died, went to the cheapest, non-programmable, no display, 4 buttons only, the "classic" model or whatever it's called. They still crap out, but they seem to last longer than the others. I use filtered tap water and the Keurig has a filter too.

I buy k-cups in 80-count boxes for $30, and I have a burr grinder and grind my own beans and use a paper k-cup filter and that works good too. The grounds stay in the filter and it doesn't make a mess.

The coffee from Keurig machines is so-so. French press is better but too damn much work and mess for the amount of coffee I go through (or goes through me, depending on how you look at it).

My sister has a Cuisinart automatic drip machine that I really like. It has a hopper for beans, and an insulated carafe that keep the coffee hot for hours. Fresh grind every time and makes better coffee than the Keurig.
We like the Keurig and it seems to be holding up well, possibly because we have some of the best water in the country, filtered through sand all the way from the Arkansas highlands to Jackson, TN. If it ever does bite the dust, I will go with a Bunn as I love coffee and I deserve it.:D

If it ever does bite the dust, I will go with a Bunn as I love coffee and I deserve it.:D
The Bunn is a pour-in machine. It has a tank and holds enough hot water for one cup, but you pour in the water each time. It never brewed a short cup on me- however much water you pour in is how much coffee you get back, every time. It made better coffee than the Keurig, I think it has better temperature control.

It doesn't have an on-off, it goes into standby and wakes up when you use it. One day it just didn't wake up. :206:

The Bunn is a pour-in machine. It has a tank and holds enough hot water for one cup, but you pour in the water each time. It never brewed a short cup on me- however much water you pour in is how much coffee you get back, every time. It made better coffee than the Keurig, I think it has better temperature control.

It doesn't have an on-off, it goes into standby and wakes up when you use it. One day it just didn't wake up. :206:
I am pretty sure I can find a plummed model, like I got spoiled on, back in the day, for the counter by the fridge and above the dishwasher, so water supply not a problem. I would prefer a single cup option, but I can live with full carafe. The only temperature problem I had with the Bunn was on the warming burner further cooking the coffee, if I was working late, by myself. If it sucked, I threw it out and made a new pot and nobody complained as I kept juggling so many projects and functions, they were tickled shtless, whatever hours I was willing to put in, so coffee to keep me happy was cheap, besides, everything came past me anyway.

I am pretty sure I can find a plummed model, like I got spoiled on, back in the day, for the counter by the fridge and above the dishwasher
I don't have the counter space for a commercial machine.

I got room for the commercial milk-shake machine though! :D

20211101_193129.jpg

I don't have the counter space for a commercial machine.

I got room for the commercial milk-shake machine though! :D

View attachment 766491
You Da Man! That's far easier than getting out the damned blender! I don't think it would fly with PJ, though, as it would be calling to her constantly and she knows it.

Like many before me I was beguiled at the thought of a cup of coffee on demand with the help of the Amazing new Coffee Machine when it first hit the markets. I held out for quite some time but finally broke down and got one. Big Mistake. My house drinks gallons of coffee so we use whatever coffee machine we have A LOT. This is not a good fit for the Keurig which has an awful tendency to scale up inside even with regular descaling.

Now I work with water chemistry as part of my job so I understand a little bit more about scaling than most and even I was confused by the way this machine claims to work out this problem. It claims that if you descale regularly based on total usage it will not be a problem. WRONG..... Turns out that even with normal earth salts content in local drinking water supplies you can't descale enough to keep the darn thing working. The Calcium and magnesium deposits get harder and harder and more removal resistant in some of the smaller grooves and channels on the interior of the machine where the heat sensors and flow sensors are located. Once this happens no amount of descaling will work. You can try disassembling it and manually scaping it out....but that is a massive task with no guarantee of getting it back together correctly.

Tried to use demineralized water to compensate but get this.... If the machine detects demineralized water it will shut down...lol... It depends on the conductivity of the mineral ppm to make certain adjustments to its running conditions. Sooooo...... conclusion:

The $19.99 Mr coffee maker that I have always depended on that usually lasts about two years Even in my house costs about 20% of the K cup Klunker...is much less expensive to own. Have you seen the prices on the damn K cups lately? Also many of the k cup firms purposely underfill the units to cut on overhead. Not worth it at all. Back to Mr Coffee or to the electric tea kettle and NesCafe....

The Keurig may be useful for households that use it sparingly over the course of the year or so it seems to be good for....but definitely not for heavy usage and it definitely needs a clean out redesign to be worth the trouble.
Stovetop or electric percolater; you'll do just fine with those. :D

We like the Keurig and it seems to be holding up well, possibly because we have some of the best water in the country, filtered through sand all the way from the Arkansas highlands to Jackson, TN. If it ever does bite the dust, I will go with a Bunn as I love coffee and I deserve it.:D

I like the Keurig l use in America. No complaints.

But you don’t see those things in Europe. I used an Illy machine yesterday. Very nice. And small and compact.

my hubby is a coffee drinker....for some reason he thinks that since i do all the household buying that i should buy coffee and filters...sometimes i do...sometimes i dont....he fears a coffee shortage...i swear....and what he can use as filters....he uses #4 bamboo filters they can be hard to find sometimes like everything else in the last few years..he loves gas station coffee all thick and burned....i have never drank a cup of coffee never ...
If you ever do, make sure it's Cuban coffee from Cuban people. You'll get a crash course into coffeeness. :D

lol i dont think i will start drinking coffee now..thank you ...i am an instant on person....the coffee drinkers in the house hate that..seems asking him while he is staring into his coffee what his plans for the day are...is upsetting

I like the Keurig l use in America. No complaints.

But you don’t see those things in Europe. I used an Illy machine yesterday. Very nice. And small and compact.
Really? I thought they were marketed worldwide. The name doesn't even sound American. Last time I was in Europe, it had not been invented. Shows how much I get around, anymore, eh?

We have a Keurig coffee maker, and it fits a niche. Our main coffee maker is a basic drip coffee maker. It makes good coffee and has held up.

We also have several other coffee makers. A moka pot, a french press, a press that we bought for camping that looks like a secret agent coffee maker, and 2 old fashioned percolator coffee pots. Needless to say, we can ALWAYS make coffee.

The secret is what you put in any coffee maker. We have a Berkey water filter that takes the crap out of the water. And our own blend of coffee. We use equal parts Folgers Black Silk and Gevalia Espresso Roast for a delicious dark coffee.

lol i dont think i will start drinking coffee now..thank you ...i am an instant on person....the coffee drinkers in the house hate that..seems asking him while he is staring into his coffee what his plans for the day are...is upsetting

I basically drink only water and black coffee. I occasionally have a beer or a mixed drink. But not often enough to count.

We have a Keurig coffee maker, and it fits a niche. Our main coffee maker is a basic drip coffee maker. It makes good coffee and has held up.

We also have several other coffee makers. A moka pot, a french press, a press that we bought for camping that looks like a secret agent coffee maker, and 2 old fashioned percolator coffee pots. Needless to say, we can ALWAYS make coffee.

The secret is what you put in any coffee maker. We have a Berkey water filter that takes the crap out of the water. And our own blend of coffee. We use equal parts Folgers Black Silk and Gevalia Espresso Roast for a delicious dark coffee.
You sir, are a true conservative, in the best way. If it works, you keep it and keep it serviceable, never to be without.

Forum List

Back