Just tried watching

iu

"Westerns" became a genre of "wink, wink, you know, it was the time when..." and then a situation is presented in an accepted context; a context, that is, of myth that stands for reality.
Most "war" movies are similar in that they play on being in a time of extremes so that other excesses, such as emotion or obsession, are more quickly accepted by the viewers so that we can get directly to the point of the author. Often, of course, this "point" is itself facile, simplistic and banal.
An interesting western that digs a little into the American soul is the original "Unforgiven" from 1960. Nothing to do with the Eastwood one of the same name. It has what may seem an unlikely cast, but there is exceptionally good acting and story, especially psychologically.
It's funny, one of my favorite westerns is pretty much 100% Hollywood following their old movie template and that is Silverado.

I like Kevin Klines performance in that. He was the only believable character. Fun movie regardless.

My favorite is probably El Dorado. Bob Mitchum was a friend of mine so that colors my view a little, but it is just a good tale.

James Caan is a hoot too!

I know it is a bit cliche, and the fighting scenes are unrealistic...but I can't help liking the movie Open Range.
It bothered and perplexed me that it looks as if Duval's character takes a bullet in the shoot out, but afterwards he has nothing.

Unlike most (not all) of his later films John Wayne's first leading role in The Big Trail (a box office flop) was very historically accurate or as historically accurate as Hollywood can get. Wayne didn't get his big break again until the release of Stagecoach nine years later. Released in 1930, much of the props and weapons were real leftovers from the old pioneer days some of the stuff that was still being used by many people out west. Of course the Indians all wearing full feathered headdresses was horribly inaccurate but it doesn't detract all that much from the overall accuracy displayed in the movie.
The movie is free on YouTube, Dailymotion and a few others.

I know it is a bit cliche, and the fighting scenes are unrealistic...but I can't help liking the movie Open Range.
Actually the fighting scenes in that one are fairly accurate, the movie itself is relatively cliche but also one of my favorites.

Actually the fighting scenes in that one are fairly accurate, the movie itself is relatively cliche but also one of my favorites.
By unrealistic I mean like when Blue Bonnet (lol) shoots a couple guys with a shotgun it lifts them off their feet and blows them through a wall. As with any gun, when a person is shot it doesn't even knock them off balance - let alone blow them through a wall haha

Another Wayne movie that is almost completely historically accurate (props, clothing, scenes, weapons, saddles) is Rio Grande.

I was a little kid when Clints spaghetti westerns were being shot. I loved them, because I thought he was such a bad ass

Forum List

Back