Just how many jobs did Romney create?

It's funny how it's SUCH a round number, isn't it? I mean, he didn't say he created 96,000 jobs or 108,000 jobs. It's 100,000. Now, what are the chances that the number would be such a round number? It's not likely. I think he just plucked the number out of thin air.

you have to be kidding me with that analysis.

Only a partisan hack would claim that he truly meant exactly 100K

Imagine the outrage if it works out that Bains created 99,999 jobs! :lol:

Only hacks like Mustang will be outraged.

Ravi will say..."I guess he was telling the truth"...even if the number is a mere 90,000.

Or is it you Meghan McCain? 'Emoticon?' lol! :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tCkqjc4eBo]Meghan McCain's On-Air Gaffe: Says Obamas Deserve "Some Small Emoticon of Privacy." Twice! - YouTube[/ame]

It's funny how it's SUCH a round number, isn't it? I mean, he didn't say he created 96,000 jobs or 108,000 jobs. It's 100,000. Now, what are the chances that the number would be such a round number? It's not likely. I think he just plucked the number out of thin air.

Not at all. Do you know what Romney and his associates essentially did at Bain? They were number crunchers. They took facts and figures about businesses and analyzed them to find the underlying value (or lack, thereof) of the company. Based on those numbers, they could have a reasonable expectation of whether or not they could make money (one way or another) from a buyout and an infusion of capital. What that means is that they didn't just cavalierly throw around numbers or deal with guesstimates. The didn't 'spitball' the numbers. They KNEW with certainty what the numbers were.

So, IF Romney really did create jobs, he should have a pretty good idea what those real numbers were. And if he doesn't have those numbers off the top of his head (which I could understand), he should be able to get his hands on a pretty accurate figure instead of just coming up with such an obviously manufactured number.

And exactly what makes you think he didnt?

And dont give me a lesson on what venture capitalists do.

The bottom line...

Without them the firms would go out of business...they would owe all kinds of money and that would be lost..and the employees would lose their jobs.

For them to step in, try to save them, be unable to, and sell off the assets and pay the debt and walk away with some profit is a hell of a lot better than the company running itself in the ground owing all kinds of money.

This OP gets half her News & Information from the lying nutters at NBC. And this is where she gets the other half of her News & Information...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xyW_SDZmPg]Whoopi Goldberg Rips Major Fart On The View - YouTube[/ame]

I like you...so dont take this an an insult....

If you were in the business world as deep as I am...(but actually retiring as we speak).....you would understand why they are saying what they are saying.

two things...

1) they do not want Romenys political career to define who they are...they would like to keep out of the "negaitve limelight"

2) they do not want their reputation to be based on one that is no longer with the firm. They would like tobe seen as a great firm as they are today...not as they were....for they know that when his political career is over, he will likely be their competition.

It is not uncommon for companies to seaprate themselves form those that left and went into the media eye.
You can believe that all you want. Bain is in the business of making money, not creating jobs.

The same is true for every company, unless the company is a 'not for profit'.

The fact is that by investing in those companies, Bains not only made a profit - it created jobs. However much you hate that idea, it is the truth.
:lol: Get off your partisan horse. I don't hate it, I simply want Romney to back up his claim.

Not at all. Do you know what Romney and his associates essentially did at Bain? They were number crunchers. They took facts and figures about businesses and analyzed them to find the underlying value (or lack, thereof) of the company. Based on those numbers, they could have a reasonable expectation of whether or not they could make money (one way or another) from a buyout and an infusion of capital. What that means is that they didn't just cavalierly throw around numbers or deal with guesstimates. The didn't 'spitball' the numbers. They KNEW with certainty what the numbers were.

So, IF Romney really did create jobs, he should have a pretty good idea what those real numbers were. And if he doesn't have those numbers off the top of his head (which I could understand), he should be able to get his hands on a pretty accurate figure instead of just coming up with such an obviously manufactured number.

The bottom line...

Without them the firms would go out of business...they would owe all kinds of money and that would be lost..and the employees would lose their jobs.

For them to step in, try to save them, be unable to, and sell off the assets and pay the debt and walk away with some profit is a hell of a lot better than the company running itself in the ground owing all kinds of money.

You're making an illogical assumption that the only two choices for each one of the businesses that Bain purchased was to either go out of business or be bought by Bain.

The bottom line...

You're making an illogical assumption that the only two choices for each one of the businesses that Bain purchased was to either go out of business or be bought by Bain.

Actually...on the most part...yes...that is exactly what the two choices were.

With the exception of the few companies Bain bought into becuase the original ownership was too timid to grow the company and instead, opted to have more "bold" investors take over.

You do not know the business...that is quite obvious.

You can believe that all you want. Bain is in the business of making money, not creating jobs.

The fact is that by investing in those companies, Bains not only made a profit - it created jobs. However much you hate that idea, it is the truth.
:lol: Get off your partisan horse. I don't hate it, I simply want Romney to back up his claim.

Ravi...right now Romnmey has the entire DNC against him and 3/4 of the GOPers against him.

He does not have to prove his claim. If it is false, it will be found to be false in no time.

Hey at least he's not claiming he created all those fictitious 'Shovel-Ready Jobs' like you know who is. :)

He says 100,000.

I say he's lying.

Anyone know if he created any jobs at all, and if so how many?

I say it does not matter.

What does matter is what he did to ensure Bain's purpose/survivability since it is the company,Bain Capital, that best represents Romney's approach to businesses andorganizations.

Despite what Republicans or democrats feel about taxation, the goernment still needs to cut spending, and Romney will do that with out question. The concept is very simple--strighten out the government finances.

Let's say you purchase 4-5 companies that produce radios (random product I chose), and consolidate them into 1 company that radios. You then liquidate most of the assets, and make the "new" company, more profitable (by expanding the market, cutting back on costs, using the good aspects of each of the 4-5 companies, hiring your own people to run it, etc.). Finally you sell that company for a profit (sometimes very large)-you technically created jobs at that one company-but you also ended many jobs at the 4-5 original companies.

I'm not saying this should be made illegal by any means, but it certainly can be immoral in certain situations.

I support Venture Capital companies.... because they create jobs. That's not 'partisan' thing - Diane Feinstein (Democrat, CA) is married to a venture capitalist.

You said 'Bain is in the business of making money'. Well, so are all businesses.... except those in the 'not for profit' sector. Those are facts. Business does not survive without profit. And business exists to make money, not to provide jobs. Jobs are a consequence of successful business practices. That is something that Bains excels at - creating strong business models for companies.

Let's say you purchase 4-5 companies that produce radios (random product I chose), and consolidate them into 1 company that radios. You then liquidate most of the assets, and make the "new" company, more profitable (by expanding the market, cutting back on costs, using the good aspects of each of the 4-5 companies, hiring your own people to run it, etc.). Finally you sell that company for a profit (sometimes very large)-you technically created jobs at that one company-but you also ended many jobs at the 4-5 original companies.

I'm not saying this should be made illegal by any means, but it certainly can be immoral in certain situations.

OK. So let's say that one company that you created from the 4/5 invests in new machinery, making their product faster and cheaper to produce... and new technology that makes their radios unique in the market. And let's then say that company sees a massive increase in sales.... so they then need more workers... and those who were employed in the 4/5 now find they can get better jobs, at higher pay, and learn new skills....

Both scenarios happen.

But VC companies do not go into businesses to close them down. That is always the least profitable - and therefore the least attractive outcome.

I don't think it's immoral, I think it's Capitalism.

I do consulting on the side...if I were to tell one of my companies or individuals a better way to do things that effects their nose count, that's not immoral, it's simply the best way to do business. Because their competitors are going to find that better way and if they can't compete, the entire ship goes down. True the company that hired me has a reduced nose count but had I not made the recommendation in the consultation, the entire enterprise would be at stake and the nose count would be even greater.

Where it becomes immoral is when you cycle employees, make the claim that you're not cutting corners while using raw materials of lesser quality, or promise X and deliver Y.

By 'Romney' do you mean 'Bains'? One is an individual, the other the company he worked for. If you look at Bain's website, and take a look at the companies they have invested in... then I see it as perfect reasonable for them to quote a figure of 100,000. They have invested in some very large companies.

How does that prove the jobs were created as an effect of that investment?

Forum List

Back