June 6, 1944 Normandy

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Bonsoir, i create this thread so we could see in pictures moment of this important day le Débarquement en Normandie.
I start with this photo of the 4th US Division.

photo507-4dc3880.jpg

photo508-4dc6277.jpg

Photo taken June 6, 1944 at Baudienville / Normandy (2.5 km from the Church of Sainte - Mère) Café Epicerie J.Philippe with the men of the 4th US Division taking a rest

Link : Café J.Philippe Epicerie

Photo from this link : World War 2 Photos - US Army

The 1st Polish Armoured
iconedrapeaupologne-4b97f31.png
Division is responsible for strengthening the divisions already present in Normandy in July 1944, while the British are trying to move toward Falaise and that Americans are getting darker towards Bretagne.

101576764-4b97f2d.jpg

South of Caen in August 1944, Lt. Jerzy Januszajtis of the 1st Polish
iconedrapeaupologne-4b97f31.png
Armoured Division filming the departure of armored early Totalize. (No. 5 Army Film and Photographic Unit, Wilkes (Sgt))

When Commander (Lord) Lovat arrives, he is accompanied by his piper, a bagpiper who before the war was in his service in the castle of the Lord. During the ship's path to the beach, Lovat said, who had taken his instrument and who had not stopped to play in its military base in England: "Play Us Highland Laddie". And the piper is running: when it reaches the ground Normand, he began the well-known song and melody even reaches the ears of the Germans, if one believes the veteran Maurice Chauvet, of the 1st Battalion Fusiliers Marins, witness the scene while he also landed on Sword: "suddenly, when he started to play, the Germans stopped to take a few seconds, they could not believe their eyes ... and ears!"

4444-4b91ea8.jpg

06/06/1944 before stepping onto the soil of France must get wet. It is the HQ barge No. 519 Lord LOVAT
which is part of the second wave and landed at 8:40, after those of the first BFMC (Barge 523 and 527)
In the water right of the column and the Lord LOVAT piper
0001-23f4c9.gif

Your first picture was the cover of a Life Magazine IIRC. Some good pictures!

Etes vous francaise?

Aux E.U. le débarquement s'appel 'the Normandy Invasion', parce que l'optique c'est que, comme le terrain été tenu par les allemands, on a du les envahir. Il n'été jamais vu comme une invasion de la France.

The US should never have started Normandy. Or at least should have stopped there. History has proven in both ww1 and ww2, that France should have been left for Germany to keep. The US didn't, and so went European stability to hell forever. Bravo. If you are a decisive force, you need to understand how far to go and not to go. Normandy was one of history's biggest mistakes.

Etes vous francaise?

Aux E.U. le débarquement s'appel 'the Normandy Invasion', parce que l'optique c'est que, comme le terrain été tenu par les allemands, on a du les envahir. Il n'été jamais vu comme une invasion de la France.
Bonjour, I am French Canadian ( born in Canada) I live in France for a while now
I say D DAY for the libération of France.
Yes, France was occupied by the Nazis but the resistance was very present on all fronts but for the landing strangely it was not much French as for 177 soldiers of Commando Kieffer

The US should never have started Normandy. Or at least should have stopped there. History has proven in both ww1 and ww2, that France should have been left for Germany to keep. The US didn't, and so went European stability to hell forever. Bravo. If you are a decisive force, you need to understand how far to go and not to go. Normandy was one of history's biggest mistakes.
Hello, but France could speak German today, but I agree with you Americans soldiers came to die on the beaches of Normandy for anything, I'll be honest with you I find that many French people do not respect the sacrifice that made the United states for them, it's not everywhere in France the Normans they are different they appreciate what that gave the Americans but I find a little rude sometimes some French do not take consciousness worst they antis Americans, if I speak of the landing in Normandie often one answers that come out is this is an old story and I do not say eveything that is said.
I am far from thinking like all its superficial peoples.

Je suis passé à Ouistreham il y a quelques semaines, manger de moules et frites.

Hello, but France could speak German today, but I agree with you Americans soldiers came to die on the beaches of Normandy for anything, I'll be honest with you I find that many French people do not respect the sacrifice that made the United states for them, it's not everywhere in France the Normans they are different they appreciate what that gave the Americans but I find a little rude sometimes some French do not take consciousness worst they antis Americans, if I speak of the landing in Normandie often one answers that come out is this is an old story and I do not say eveything that is said.
I too live in France. But I refuse to speak French unless I am forced to. It would have worked better for the people of France and the entire European continent, if the Americans had stopped at Normandy, like they stopped at Naples at their Italian front.
France has always been unfair to force all of its people to speak French ever since 1789. And now worse, this French aggression is imported into all countries that ww1-2 created. Disgraceful. French language = murderous looter language.

...whereas English speakers have never been murderers, looters, agressive or destructive?

I too live in France. But I refuse to speak French unless I am forced to. It would have worked better for the people of France and the entire European continent, if the Americans had stopped at Normandy, like they stopped at Naples at their Italian front.
France has always been unfair to force all of its people to speak French ever since 1789. And now worse, this French aggression is imported into all countries that ww1-2 created. Disgraceful. French language = murderous looter language.
True in France we have to talk French some tourist that come in Paris to visit the French want them to speak French, they are not happy about the fact that they come in France and they don't talk French but when they travel in a English speaking country they don't talk English.
They don't talk English with me, but sometime i speak English to them they don't understand what i say i am better in talking English than writing.

True in France we have to talk French some tourist that come in Paris to visit the French want them to speak French, they are not happy about the fact that they come in France and they don't talk French but when they travel in a English speaking country they don't talk English.
They don't talk English with me, but sometime i speak English to them they don't understand what i say i am better in talking English than writing.

I am curious. If you are a born French speaker, maybe you can answer this question. A very nice and friendly guy I know here in France is a Provence speaker, but he says that he is not good at speaking Provence but rather speaks French. I think this is an abomination, because his town belongs to him and his father, not to Paris. He doesn't understand my point. How could so many people be brainwashed here so much into giving up what is themselves for some stupid pie in the sky like Paris?

I am curious. If you are a born French speaker, maybe you can answer this question. A very nice and friendly guy I know here in France is a Provence speaker, but he says that he is not good at speaking Provence but rather speaks French. I think this is an abomination, because his town belongs to him and his father, not to Paris. He doesn't understand my point. How could so many people be brainwashed here so much into giving up what is themselves for some stupid pie in the sky like Paris?

The French are very proud and cold peoples who act like they are not accountable to anyone, I was very disappointed with the French when i arrived in France people I know have immediately try to change me for all be it for food leisure they do not accept foreigners and their culture and have no interests other than what is happening in France it may sound harsh but what I say is the truth if I speak often of Canada they have nothing to say, no interest I often try to see it does not interested. suddenly I do not speak or i speak English to piss them off.

English was imposed on everyone in America despite the First Amendment. All countries have done this sort of thing. It may not be right, but it certainly is not particularly 'French'. If there is anything to criticize about France and the French, it is that they are not even more different from other nations and cultures.
Overall, France is a very good country and the people are very nice.

The French are very proud and cold peoples who act like they are not accountable to anyone, I was very disappointed with the French when i arrived in France people I know have immediately try to change me for all be it for food leisure they do not accept foreigners and their culture and have no interests other than what is happening in France it may sound harsh but what I say is the truth if I speak often of Canada they have nothing to say, no interest I often try to see it does not interested. suddenly I do not speak or i speak English to piss them off.

I agree, and this sounds criminal. The French are like criminals, that push borders around, like in Elsaice, then act like you describe them. Isn't that criminal? A form of theft and robbery.

English was imposed on everyone in America despite the First Amendment. All countries have done this sort of thing. It may not be right, but it certainly is not particularly 'French'. If there is anything to criticize about France and the French, it is that they are not even more different from other nations and cultures.
Overall, France is a very good country and the people are very nice.

I think English was imposed as a means of communication. This was possible because America provided something new that others couldn't, summarized in the Bill of Rights. All other countries did such impositions too, yes, but that is different, it is like forcing you to buy a fake Rolex. I live in France, both French and English are a foreign language for me, but I chose English any day. France would be a very good country if it wasn't continuously destroying every country around itself, systematically.

Forum List

Back