July 3, 1863 Pickett's Charge

My ancestors in the 33rd Virginia Infantry were engaged at Culp's Hill on the 3rd and took 27% causalities.

Gettysburg_Day3_Culp%27s_Hill_Morning.png

Culp's Hill - Wikipedia

Reading the HX , there are many points where those troops knew they were to engage in a major battle, where their odds where slim

Many actually readied themselves for oblivion by writing wills on the night before

Brass ones......

~S~

Reading the HX , there are many points where those troops knew they were to engage in a major battle, where their odds where slim

Many actually readied themselves for oblivion by writing wills on the night before

Brass ones......

~S~
At Mine Run and later at Cold Harbor the Yankees pinned-on scraps of paper with their name and the address of their families written upon them.

Meade called off the attack at Mine Run and went into winter quarters but the Yankees were not so lucky at Cold Harbor.....Around 6K casualties in less than a hour.

Hood was supposed to provide recon. And decided to chase Armstrong's wagons. If the south would have won I wonder if there would have been a trial.

Huge mistake by Lee.
Agreed.

Lee should have continued to avoid a major battle and ransacked Pennsylvania, until he found the right spot to fight.

Once he got to Gettysburg, seeing how the Union Army occupied the high ground, he should have withdrawn.

However had Longstreet attacked Little Round Top when first told to, the CSA might have succeeded.

Agreed.

Lee should have continued to avoid a major battle and ransacked Pennsylvania, until he found the right spot to fight.

Once he got to Gettysburg, seeing how the Union Army occupied the high ground, he should have withdrawn.

However had Longstreet attacked Little Round Top when first told to, the CSA might have succeeded.
The Union would have withdrawn to fight another day

That’s another thing that should have resulted in Lee withdrawing from a fight at Gettysburg. He was without Stuart.

Gettysburg was not planned, it just happened as both sides brought in more and more units

Agreed.

Lee took MULTIPLE risks at Chancellorsville that worked out, and deployed arrogantly.

The invasion itself was fool hardy. Reinforcements should have been sent to Vicksburg. Gettysburg was a military blunder.

Actions that day made blunder after blunder in the fog of War.

Forum List

Back