Judge says he can order abortion for disabled Nevada woman

I think it would be impossible to procecute a rape case on any of the men, although she was clearly raped.

However that's why I said any investigation should be on the home and the parents.

I don't think it would be impossible, but it would be a bitch-and-a-half.

I don't know that the parents require investigation, since she didn't live in their home. I suspect the whole "slipping away and prostituting herself" was a big part of WHY they had her in a group home instead. But if I were her parents, I would definitely want to know how she managed to get away from the group home.

To me, if nothing bad happens to the lady and her baby during the pregnancy and delivery, then the baby should be allowed to live. The baby can always be put up for adoption if the family is not able to keep it.

God bless you and the family always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Last edited:
I think questions need asked.

Was this a faluire of the home? Or was she placed in an a facility that was never intended for someone of her limited capacity. If her parents knew she was leaving the home and what was happening when she did, and they didn't act to stop it, then they are as guilty as the men who took advantage of their daughter, IMO.

To me, if nothing bad happens to the lady and her baby during the pregnancy and delivery, then the baby should be allowed to live. The baby can always be put up for adoption if the family is not able to keep it.

God bless you and the family always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Yes, but you probably think that babies are generally good things. You have to understand that there are people in the world who think that babies are almost never good things.

If we give the government the authority to order the killing an unborn baby against the will of the victim or the victim's legal guardian what's next?

I think questions need asked.

Was this a faluire of the home? Or was she placed in an a facility that was never intended for someone of her limited capacity. If her parents knew she was leaving the home and what was happening when she did, and they didn't act to stop it, then they are as guilty as the men who took advantage of their daughter, IMO.

Oh, I'd imagine those questions ARE being asked. Just don't be too certain that her unauthorized departure from the group home necessarily indicates that any of that is the case. Sometimes, shit just happens. Severely retarded adults can be very difficult to keep controlled and monitored at all times.

What concerns ME is that there seems to be more focus on trying to kill the baby than there is on these questions.

Yes, but you probably think that babies are generally good things. You have to understand that there are people in the world who think that babies are almost never good things.
I am just thinking about those who want kids of their own, but they are not able to have any.

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

CaféAuLait;6286657 said:
Judge says he can order abortion for disabled Nevada woman

CARSON CITY, Nev. A Nevada state judge says he has the authority to order an abortion for a pregnant 32-year-old mentally disabled woman, even against the will of her Catholic adoptive parents.

Washoe County District Court Judge Egan Walker didn't make a decision, but asked the Nevada Supreme Court on Monday to let him go ahead with hearings as early as Tuesday to collect medical evidence about the woman's case.

The Las Vegas Sun reports that Walker called it "illogical and contrary to law" to prevent him from gathering evidence to determine if an abortion should be performed.

In a case being watched by national anti-abortion organizations, the woman's parents want the state high court to stop the proceedings.

Judge says he can order abortion for disabled Nevada woman - CBS News

Should a judge be able to rule in this manner? Is it overstepping his bounds?

I recognize the contemporary unpopularity of the low concepts of right and wrong but malevolent national moral pulse notwithstanding, this matter is not a political, a legal, or religious issue. I can't speak for the parents of the victim--which she is by the way, but I hope they seek a solution for their adoptive daughter based on what they think is best for her and...wait for it...their unborn grandchild. Hopefully they are acting out of love and not out of fear of defiance of religious, legal, political issues/beliefs. You've just got to hop up and down over instances of sentient human interaction such as this one. Oh the humanity. Concepts as exotic as right and wrong do exist. They're there, really. But then again, these days, the easy way out, the efficient move, is to terminate the pregnancy. A nice clean solution for everyone. Someone ought to hire a lawyer for the daughter's unborn child.

No possibility of consensual sex exists.

Thiis was rape.

This is the call of her parents.
CaféAuLait;6286771 said:
Here is an article which tells more about her condition:

The lawyer said the woman was adopted along with several siblings from Costa Rica. She suffers from fetal alcohol syndrome, along with several other maladies. She reportedly has an IQ of 42. The woman was living in a Reno group home when she wandered away and became pregnant 13 weeks ago. The child's father has not been identified and it remains unknown whether the pregnancy was the result of rape or consensual sex.

The couple acknowledges that the pregnancy poses health risks to their daughter and the baby, but they say medical experts back them in their decision to continue the pregnancy, Guinasso said.

In abortion fight, disabled woman's parents turn to Nevada high court - latimes.com

Shades of "Eugenics". If we agreed to involuntarily abort every unborn child on the basis of the parent's mental capacity we could start by sterilizing every degenerate gambler in Vegas.

Just because she can't raise a child is not a valid reason to force someone to have a medical procedure against the will of their guardians.

Her parents have no right to force their religious beliefs upon their daughter. Take away the right to argue in favor of their religion and see what argument they have.

What the fuck? The state is the own that is prohibited from forcing religious belief on people, not parents. Where the fuck did you learn to think?

The state is currently her guardians, however I think precedent will prove him wrong if he chooses to rule in favor of an abortion.

Having read about the case, I doubt he will choose to abort.

The article says the parents are her guardians.

The state is currently her guardians, however I think precedent will prove him wrong if he chooses to rule in favor of an abortion.

Having read about the case, I doubt he will choose to abort.

I would like to know where you got "the state is currently her guardians" from that article, since it stated quite clearly that HER PARENTS are her legal guardians.

I posted the article where they mention the issue of guardianship in this thread.

IMO, the group home and the woman's parents should be investigated for neglect. As long as the woman's doctor believes the pregnancy isn't putting her life at risk, she should be able to continue it, because her parents want that, and when the child is born her parents can make the decision to either keep it themselves or put it up for adoption.

In my opinion, you are a busybody who thinks she knows what is best for everyone. The girl wandered away from a group home which was probably mandated by the nanny state, how is that the parent's fault?

The woman was clearly raped. Repeatedly. Children cant consent to sex, and neither can a woman with the mind of a child. The woman's opinion on having an abortion or not should also not be in question, as she can't make those choices either.

Most states do not define statutory rape by IQ.

Lol! A busybody?

The parents said their daughter often left the home to prostitute herself at a local truck stop. You cant say, her parents are her guardians and then absolve them of any culpability if they knew what was happening and did nothing.

If I knew my child was being raped at school and I do nothing, am I guiltless because it happened when she wasn't with me?

Lol! A busybody?

The parents said their daughter often left the home to prostitute herself at a local truck stop. You cant say, her parents are her guardians and then absolve them of any culpability if they knew what was happening and did nothing.

If I knew my child was being raped at school and I do nothing, am I guiltless because it happened when she wasn't with me?

What evidence do you have that they did nothing? Is there proof that they never filed a police report? Do you think it is remotely possible that the parents, the police, and the group home new about her proclivity, and were unable to do anything because the law actually makes it illegal to chain people to their beds?

Forum List

Back