Judge names 17 Antioch cops who allegedly sent racist text messages, memes

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina

Names include the union president and several officers already placed on leave as a result of an ongoing federal probe.​

In a move that deepened the scandals engulfing the Antioch police department, a Contra Costa County judge on Friday released the names of 17 city police officers accused of using racist slurs, jokes and memes in text messages over a period of more than two years.

The names include the president of Antioch’s police union, as well as five officers already under investigation by the FBI for alleged crimes. The judge also named 11 other Antioch officers — at least eight of whom have been put on leave over the group texts, which reportedly included frequent use of racial slurs as well as racist memes.

In releasing the names, Judge Clare Maier urged caution, saying the content of the messages was so offensive it could “incite further hate or racial animus.”

But, she said, information about the texts — and the identities of the officers involved — “doesn’t deserve protection” under the California evidence code. She did not disclose what each officer is accused of actually sending but generally categorized the content as “deeply disturbing” and targeting “members of the Black and Hispanic community.”

Among the officers Maier named was Rick Hoffman, the president of the Antioch Police Association, who has been a frequent critic of Antioch Mayor Lamar Thorpe, a police-reform advocate. Hoffman was among the officers placed on leave over the texts, according to multiple Antioch law enforcement officials.

“We’ll go through some challenges because of staffing. Absolutely,” said Thorpe. “But if that’s what they’re doing (making racist and homophobic texts), I don’t want them here.”

Police Chief Steven Ford did not respond to a request for comment.

“I haven’t seen any text messages. I don’t know what the content is. Until I know more, I think it’s irresponsible for me to say anything,” said attorney Michael Rains, who represents Antioch police officers.

The existence of the text messages became known last month as a result of an ongoing federal probe into Antioch and Pittsburg police officers, but Friday’s developments made clear just how many officers are involved in both scandals plaguing APD.

The FBI — which is investigating alleged fraud, bribery, drug distribution and civil rights violations related to the use of force — found the messages after agents served search warrants on a number of officers’ homes and showed up at the police department to seize phones and other personal items.

The first offensive messages date to September 2019, and they continued until January 2022 when the phones were seized, Maier said.

Of the officers Maier named, five — Devon Wenger, Eric Rombough, Andrea Rodriguez, Calvin Prieto and Morteza Amiri — already have been placed on leave amid the FBI investigation. A sixth, Tim Manly, has resigned from the department.

This doesn't happen in America anymore.

There is no racism in police departments.

Names include the union president and several officers already placed on leave as a result of an ongoing federal probe.​

In a move that deepened the scandals engulfing the Antioch police department, a Contra Costa County judge on Friday released the names of 17 city police officers accused of using racist slurs, jokes and memes in text messages over a period of more than two years.

The names include the president of Antioch’s police union, as well as five officers already under investigation by the FBI for alleged crimes. The judge also named 11 other Antioch officers — at least eight of whom have been put on leave over the group texts, which reportedly included frequent use of racial slurs as well as racist memes.

In releasing the names, Judge Clare Maier urged caution, saying the content of the messages was so offensive it could “incite further hate or racial animus.”

But, she said, information about the texts — and the identities of the officers involved — “doesn’t deserve protection” under the California evidence code. She did not disclose what each officer is accused of actually sending but generally categorized the content as “deeply disturbing” and targeting “members of the Black and Hispanic community.”

Among the officers Maier named was Rick Hoffman, the president of the Antioch Police Association, who has been a frequent critic of Antioch Mayor Lamar Thorpe, a police-reform advocate. Hoffman was among the officers placed on leave over the texts, according to multiple Antioch law enforcement officials.

“We’ll go through some challenges because of staffing. Absolutely,” said Thorpe. “But if that’s what they’re doing (making racist and homophobic texts), I don’t want them here.”

“I haven’t seen any text messages. I don’t know what the content is. Until I know more, I think it’s irresponsible for me to say anything,” said attorney Michael Rains, who represents Antioch police officers.

The existence of the text messages became known last month as a result of an ongoing federal probe into Antioch and Pittsburg police officers, but Friday’s developments made clear just how many officers are involved in both scandals plaguing APD.

The FBI — which is investigating alleged fraud, bribery, drug distribution and civil rights violations related to the use of force — found the messages after agents served search warrants on a number of officers’ homes and showed up at the police department to seize phones and other personal items.

The first offensive messages date to September 2019, and they continued until January 2022 when the phones were seized, Maier said.

Of the officers Maier named, five — Devon Wenger, Eric Rombough, Andrea Rodriguez, Calvin Prieto and Morteza Amiri — already have been placed on leave amid the FBI investigation. A sixth, Tim Manly, has resigned from the department.

What are the offensive messages?

Who cares? Were the jokes funny? That’s really all that matters. Unless these cops were doing their jobs in a manner in which they treated blacks and browns less well than they treat whites, then they are doing absolutely nothing wrong. Just because they shared some racial JOKES is no reason to conclude that they are conducting their jobs in a racially prejudicial nature. That’s stupid and illogical.

the fake news tag is ion you,,

no one but you say this doesnt happen anymore,,

everyone knows racists still exist, youre a perfect example,,

the fake news tag is ion you,,

no one but you say this doesnt happen anymore,,

everyone knows racists still exist, youre a perfect example,,
LOL, any other time you Trump Humpers would be defending them. Just look at the other thread with fools like Mac 7 or take Horselighting. They are prime examples.

LOL, any other time you Trump Humpers would be defending them. Just look at the other thread with fools like Mac 7 or take Horselighting. They are prime examples.
so you take what 2 people that you only think are white and apply their POV to all white people,,

thats the definition of racist,,

No those 2 are just examples, kind of like you clowns love to start a post where someone black committed a crime and then claim they are an example of all black folks.
you sure do like combining all white people and blame them for the words of a few,,

thats racist,,

Last edited:
Super, you must know the last 1000 racial incedents have been hoaxes by race hustlers like Smollet. Maybe an actual nigg....ar comment squeaks thru?

You might have a few jokes here or there but who cares? Compared to locker riom talk, BLM?

As you say it could be DOJ FBI hacking in and planting. We live under Tyranny.

Serving the public is a very difficult job these days. But thinking the way it seems these officers did about the people you serve is pernicious. It's bad for the public you serve, of course--and it's bad for you, the cop, or the teacher, or the whatever. It poisonous all the way around.

Complain all day long about criminals because you're in the business of taking care of that. But leave immutable characteristics out of it

Who cares? Were the jokes funny? That’s really all that matters. Unless these cops were doing their jobs in a manner in which they treated blacks and browns less well than they treat whites, then they are doing absolutely nothing wrong. Just because they shared some racial JOKES is no reason to conclude that they are conducting their jobs in a racially prejudicial nature. That’s stupid and illogical.
😄

Look at this Bingo proudly display the fact that he doesn't understand how logic works.

Big deal

A few text messages with the n-word amounts to nothing

Forum List

Back