'Who cares? Another dead cop': Florida firefighter terminated after text messages surface about deceased police officer

Not really. It shows his character. I wouldn't want some idiot like that working for me.
Nor would I want somebody who really felt that way. But I wouldn't fire somebody for one text that harmed nobody. Maybe he was having a really bad day, was angry, frustrated and just reacted, perhaps out of character. Maybe he was just being sarcastic. I would question the motive of somebody receiving a text like that and reporting it instead of talking to the person to figure that out.

I recall the day Kennedy was shot. When the announcement was made, a woman in the room with me blurted out "good." Well of course everybody expressed their disapproval of the comment, and she immediately backed down. And when we were told that he had died, she felt terrible and expressed that.

Things like that happen, even with basically good people. They don't merit firing somebody based on one bad incident.

Nor would I want somebody who really felt that way. But I wouldn't fire somebody for one text that harmed nobody. Maybe he was having a really bad day, was angry, frustrated and just reacted, perhaps out of character. Maybe he was just being sarcastic. I would question the motive of somebody receiving a text like that and reporting it instead of talking to the person to figure that out.

I recall the day Kennedy was shot. When the announcement was made, a woman in the room with me blurted out "good." Well of course everybody expressed their disapproval of the comment, and she immediately backed down. And when we were told that he had died, she felt terrible and expressed that.

Things like that happen, even with basically good people. They don't merit firing somebody based on one bad incident.

In general when I see people making comments like those about normal working people, it is because they either truly despise that particular profession, or the people drawn to it.

This dude was a first responder, they are supposed to work together, but there is a mindset in the firefighting world that is very insular.

Those people can be incredible assholes, and they shouldn't hold those jobs.

In general when I see people making comments like those about normal working people, it is because they either truly despise that particular profession, or the people drawn to it.

This dude was a first responder, they are supposed to work together, but there is a mindset in the firefighting world that is very insular.

Those people can be incredible assholes, and they shouldn't hold those jobs.
I'm not really arguing with you. I don't want the true assholes working for me either. But I don't want to be quick to condemn somebody for one out of character quip either.

I'm not really arguing with you. I don't want the true assholes working for me either. But I don't want to be quick to condemn somebody for one out of character quip either.
..Agreed.

Forum List

Back