Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz (R) Seek to Cancel MLB By Introducing Legislation

I thought maybe put in Sports section, but it's probably more political than Sports since it involves Senators.

A group of Senators, including Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley introduced a bill to end Major League Baseball’s monopoly by eliminating their special antitrust exemption.

The group says the bill is an immediate reaction to MLB’s decision to relocate the All Star game from Georgia to Colorado.

Forbes says The antitrust exemption, which dates back to a 1922 Supreme Court case and has been held up in multiple subsequent cases, is the only one of its kind for a sports league. Its elimination would expose MLB to antitrust litigation and weaken the MLB’s power to reduce competition.

Good idea. All for-profit entities should be subject to anti-trust laws. The Big Tech companies are next.
What a pity you rightards only support that now out of spite because MLB is moving the all-star game out of Georgia and because Republicans are now pushing the idea...

... and not because of principles. Which you clearly lack.
There are people who for years who have gotten tired of the massive salaries with many strikes for decades and cable TV increases and insane prices to go see games with your family. Capitulation point in sports happened for some. Then the sports turned political. Capitulation for a little more. The virus affected people. And the stands were almost empty. For me at this point I have stopped about 90% of my sports viewing and unless its paid for by someone else I will most likely not pay for a another game in any major league sport. And Progs are ruled by their god. the party is their god. They have Abrams and two brand new senators in Georgia and they take away an all star game from an area dominated by blacks. You cheated. And have been. By hook or by crook you will give us a Castro, Stalin, Mao type government whether we want it or not. And then the Mensheviks will become Bolsheviks and the deaths will pile up.
"And Progs are ruled by their god. the party is their god."

A rather odd observation given it was the loser of the last presidential election who led his flock to the Capitol to "stop the steal," which turned into an unprecedented event of sedition that unfolded before our very eyes.
ah wasn't anything I hadn't seen since Nov 2016...actually frankly, far more peaceful then most of the events the insurrectionist, looting, rioting, assaults, murder etc I'd seen since Nov 2016...
None others were acts of sedition. You're just making shit up again just like you did when you falsely claimed Clinton used banned combat weapons against civilians. :cuckoo:
yep...what Mad Max did was clear sediation...she clearly was encouraging the overthrow of the duly elected Admin, and Harris was funding it.

I never said he used banned weapons, I said he used weapons that he did ban. Weapons he didn't think should be used in combat, but was happy to use against Americans

Guilty

Look, whatever your political beliefs - Baseball is as American as Apple Pie or Supersize meals. Nobody touches my MLB.

Look, whatever your obsession with your personal sacred cow is, nobody touches our right to self-governance. Maybe you should tell your precious MLB to stick to playing baseball and quit picking fights for you to then whine about.

If Joe Biden wants to use big league baseball to intervene and interfere in Georgia election legislation
I am 100% in favor of revoking their special protections granted by Congress, for what that's worth.
Why can't we revoke Big Tech's special carve outs also?
Cruz and Hawley seem to be two members of Congress, at least, who get what's going on.
Those anti-trust protections didn't come from congress, they came from the USSC.
And congress can't take it away without doing so, being a "bill of attainder"

Bullshit.

Don't edit my posts. -marvin martian

Oh, okay.

Look, whatever your political beliefs - Baseball is as American as Apple Pie or Supersize meals. Nobody touches my MLB.

MLB is all about whoring for China, just like the Biden family.

...huh?

Did you not know that MLB whores for money from the oppressive, anti-civil rights, tyrannical communist government of China, just like the Biden family has done for decades?

Essentially that's what the USSC said in 1922, and upheld ever since.
well no, they said that the league organized baseball games within states, and thus wasn't engaged in interstate commerce thus not subject to the Sherman Anti-Trust act.

Later the Court found they were engaged in interstate commerce, but didn't overrule that case.

I never said he used banned weapons, I said he used weapons that he did ban. Weapons he didn't think should be used in combat, but was happy to use against Americans

Guilty
The police use bullets that are banned in war.

Look, whatever your obsession with your personal sacred cow is, nobody touches our right to self-governance. Maybe you should tell your precious MLB to stick to playing baseball and quit picking fights for you to then whine about.
You have it backwards. MLB shouldn't be forced by the government to play where they don't agree with the venue.

Guilty
The police use bullets that are banned in war.
Yeah but they don't use military grade weapons...such as military grade CS gas, that Clinton thought was to dangerous for combat, but ok to use on American citizens...including children

Those anti-trust protections didn't come from congress, they came from the USSC.
And congress can't take it away without doing so, being a "bill of attainder"
Alright. I'm corrected and mea culpa. The point remains that baseball benefits from antitrust protections
and when they abuse their special position by playing "hardball" with Biden and the commissioner
stealing the all star game away from Atlanta baseball may get more than they bargained for.

You have it backwards. MLB shouldn't be forced by the government to play where they don't agree with the venue.
Nobody is forcing MLB to play. This legislation isn't about that.

With that said, I noticed the MLB still has a lot of games in GA this year...and when they moved the All-Star game they moved it to a state that has similar law as GA...ie voter ID......and is also populated by very very few minorities.

So let's not act like MLB did this about principals. The Commish is a big Dem, and Xiden supporter, that is doing this simply trying to support lying Xiden's propaganda

Liberals suddenly turning for MLB in an effort at virtue signaling are having a Hell of a time figuring out how the game is played. They can't understand why not all the players stand in left field.

Legislation against monopoly is generally far more harmful than helpful.

It's government that gives the power to these big companies in the first place.

You have government regularly interfering with a business whose success is a result of satisfying their market demand by coming in and saying, no, you're too big. But then how many failing companies does government come in and subsidize?

Try to draw up a voluntary contract, btw, and see how quickly the government steps in and tells you what you can and can't do.

Now there's a long-lost, forgotten term. Voluntary contract....

When government colludes with big business that's known as fascism.
Atlanta could really use the money Biden is stealing away from them and awarding it to mostly white Denver.
You have no idea to what degree MLB objects to Atlanta Georgia.

Oh, yeah, tell me all about the "oppression" of a multi-billion-dollar industry that's being "forced" to play somewhere they don't want to, while ignoring the fact that they're changing long-standing decisions about where to play precisely for the purpose of forcing a political agenda on the electorate. Because that sort of "It's okay when it's for purposes I like" hypocrisy is absolutely going to convince me to feel all softhearted to a bunch of rich, elitist wannabe autocrats.

MLB gave the government the right to take a hand in their decisions 1) the day they decided to ask the government to give them special protections, and 2) the day they decided to become political actors attempting to dictate public policy matters to the people. MLB picked this fight, and neither they nor you get to crybaby at us about how "mean" it is for people to fight back instead of just capitulating. If you can't take a few hits, stay out of the arena.

You have government regularly interfering with a business whose success is a result of satisfying their market demand by coming in and saying, no, you're too big. But then how many failing companies does government come in and subsidize?

Try to draw up a voluntary contract, btw, and see how quickly the government steps in and tells you what you can and can't do.

In this case, though, the suggestion isn't to break MLB up at all. It's simply to remove the very government power you're talking about, and let them do without that protection of their monopoly, just like so many other businesses have to do.

I never said he used banned weapons...
LOL

Now you're lying to cover for other lies you spew...

Sure there was military grade...and it was banned in combat in 1993...that however didn't keep the Clinton Admin from using it on civilians, when he order the military to raid the Waco compound

[emphasis mine to highlight your lies]

LOL

Sure there was military grade...and it was banned in combat in 1993...that however didn't keep the Clinton Admin from using it on civilians, when he order the military to raid the Waco compound

That's when Clinton wanted it banned in combat...in 1993...but still felt the need to gas his own people, including children, with it.

and you continue to defend this Saddam like behavior...come to think of it, maybe that's why you all were so good with Obama turning a blind eye to Assad gassing his own people too

In this case, though, the suggestion isn't to break MLB up at all. It's simply to remove the very government power you're talking about, and let them do without that protection of their monopoly, just like so many other businesses have to do.

I guess what I was getting at is that there is a remarkable difference between a ''free-market monopoly'' and a ''market monopoly.''

Clarification is necessary. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a free-market monopoly. Market monopoly is a consequence of the distortion that is so rabid, thanks to government intrusion.

But, yeah. Noted, Cecilie. I see the point you're making.

LOL

That's when Clinton wanted it banned in combat...in 1993...but still felt the need to gas his own people, including children, with it.

and you continue to defend this Saddam like behavior...come to think of it, maybe that's why you all were so good with Obama turning a blind eye to Assad gassing his own people too
LOL

You literally said CS being banned didn't prevent Clinton from using it on civilians when in fact, it was banned 4 years after the Waco raid. And now you're trying to deny saying what you said.

You really are fucked in the head. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back