Jon Stewart shares why he was wrong about Trump

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Can't blame Jon for latching on to the comedy gold that was Donald Trump. But by 2018, it truly wasn't funny anymore.

Jon Stewart admitted the mistake he made when Donald Trump first announced his candidacy for president in 2015.​
Back then, the then-host of “The Daily Show” figured the reality TV personality was a comedic “gift from heaven.”​
But in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter published Wednesday, Stewart said he misjudged, failing to consider that Trump’s “certainty, his ridiculousness, his shamelessness is what made him dangerous.”​
“I thought it made him a buffoon, and I thought that’s what would disqualify him,” said Stewart, whose new Apple TV+ show “The Problem With Jon Stewart” debuts on Sept. 30.​
“What it did is made him the perfect vessel,” Stewart continued. “You have to be shameless to do shameful things.”​
“I’m not saying he’s the same as these figures, but the most dangerous figures are the ones that seem comic and absurd,” Stewart added. “Saddam Hussein seems absurd. Muammar Gaddafi would stand in a kaftan and rant like a madman.”​

Can't blame Jon for latching on to the comedy gold that was Donald Trump. But by 2018, it truly wasn't funny anymore.

Jon Stewart admitted the mistake he made when Donald Trump first announced his candidacy for president in 2015.​
Back then, the then-host of “The Daily Show” figured the reality TV personality was a comedic “gift from heaven.”​
But in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter published Wednesday, Stewart said he misjudged, failing to consider that Trump’s “certainty, his ridiculousness, his shamelessness is what made him dangerous.”​
“I thought it made him a buffoon, and I thought that’s what would disqualify him,” said Stewart, whose new Apple TV+ show “The Problem With Jon Stewart” debuts on Sept. 30.​
“What it did is made him the perfect vessel,” Stewart continued. “You have to be shameless to do shameful things.”​
“I’m not saying he’s the same as these figures, but the most dangerous figures are the ones that seem comic and absurd,” Stewart added. “Saddam Hussein seems absurd. Muammar Gaddafi would stand in a kaftan and rant like a madman.”​

The country - the world - didn't have a grasp on the amount of frustration, rage, misinformation and paranoia that was just waiting for someone to unlock. It was right there in front of us, the whole time, building for 30 years.

And even if we had known, there's no way we could have anticipated that a flamboyant, hypersensitive, pugilistic, childish, New York billionaire would be the one to do it. In Middle America? This guy, of all people? No way.

The country - the world - didn't have a grasp on the amount of frustration, rage, misinformation and paranoia that was just waiting for someone to unlock. It was right there in front of us, the whole time, building for 30 years.

And even if we had known, there's no way we could have anticipated that a flamboyant, hypersensitive, pugilistic, childish, New York billionaire would be the one to do it. In Middle America? This guy, of all people? No way.
Yea, say what you will about The Former Guy he had an uncanny knack for tapping into white grievance. I just never would have guessed that reservoir to be quite so deep.

I mean, most of us laughed at Archie Bunker. So not surprising that we would laugh at something even funnier. But we probably should have stopped it or at least tamed it after the election.

Is Stewart one of those comedians who thinks Biden is someone that is so perfect, that he just cannot find any faults to make jokes about?

Is Stewart one of those comedians who thinks Biden is someone that is so perfect, that he just cannot find any faults to make jokes about?

I'm sure that if he was still hosting The Daily Show he would have taken many swipes at Biden. He certainly poked at Obama during those years, but Obama just wasn't as funny.

How shameless do you have to be to use your position and your son to collect money from the Chinese and Ukranians? Biden hasnt had any shame for the last 40 years, fuck him.

The problem with Stewart is he proved himself to be anti-union which makes him an asshole in my book, regardless of his comic talent and helping of others to succeed in the field. Still runs circles around Bill Maher though.

Forum List

Back