Jon Stewart calls national anthem a 'weird ritual' at games

To me, anyone who thinks that it is weird should just be glad that it isn't done before other occasions get started which only brings me to this question, why does it seem to be only done before a sporting event?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I said this to my girlfriend last weekend. Its fucking weird and is a weird remnant of the cold war.

Praising the country before a football game is fucking strange

Conservatives threw a fit when athletes started kneeling during the national anthem. They argued that these athletes were making an unpatriotic statement before the game.

Why is there even a need to make a patriotic gesture prior to a game? Just play the game. It’s a weird and unnecessary tradition that has proven to be a source of unnecessary tension.

Let’s be honesty. Our anthem sucks. We have the worlds best music. Absolute best in any genre across the board and our anthem blows chunks. Biden ought to commission a modernization of it. Then I’d love to hear it at sporting event and movies and at the end of a news cast.

Conservatives threw a fit when athletes started kneeling during the national anthem. They argued that these athletes were making an unpatriotic statement before the game.

Why is there even a need to make a patriotic gesture prior to a game? Just play the game. It’s a weird and unnecessary tradition that has proven to be a source of unnecessary tension.
sad that others showing the patriotic causes you tension

Let’s be honesty. Our anthem sucks. We have the worlds best music. Absolute best in any genre across the board and our anthem blows chunks. Biden ought to commission a modernization of it. Then I’d love to hear it at sporting event and movies and at the end of a news cast.
personally i think it’s the best and one of the most amazing songs ever written. I can’t imagine how Key must of felt when he looked out that window after the Brits tried take our country back and saw our flag still standing

sad that others showing the patriotic causes you tension
Doesn’t cause me tension at all. I’m going to continue watching the NFL regardless of who is standing or kneeling during the national anthem. I don’t care.

I’m not one of the man-babies who threw a hissy fit and decided to boycott the NFL over what’s happening during the national anthem.

Doesn’t cause me tension at all. I’m going to continue watching the NFL regardless of who is standing or kneeling during the national anthem. I don’t care.

I’m not one of the man-babies who threw a hissy fit and decided to boycott the NFL over what’s happening during the national anthem.
We can question the anthem at sports events. But then again why was it questioned anyway after it was started many decades ago? The globalists are deconstructing the United States. Sometimes at games I would question. But then I realized when I was younger that there were men who died for you. Even if you do not appreciate it. So, I saw older people standing up. And I stood up with them whether if it was under shaming or then realizing out of respect. We are a spoiled lot. You have to wonder what the percentage of NFL players are from single parents. From parent who was a teenager when giving birth. From getting away with criminal ways because of being a sport athlete. Then you think the same thing from people not so fortunate in sports. It's not a knee its sexual organs not taking responsible ways for the irresponsible actions. Perhaps a person with a knife could show up on the sidelines and cut the dicks off of those so inclined. Things would improve I tell you.

1. You are right. Our anthem is unsingable for most "lay" people. The tune is an old English drinking song, and we end our nat'l anthem with a question. Literally, a question. But that's not the end of course, there are four verses. Although I am patriotic, just as a song, I don't like it. The entire first verse that we sing means "Which flag is flying". It's not about how great our nations is, how strong or beautiful. It's a very specific question pertaining to a very specific event. "Hey right there, at Fort McHenry, which flag is flying right now? I can't really see cause it's 1812 and it's pitch black....no electric light....OH HEY! Rockets going up! Oh good, it's still the American flag"

That's our national anthem. Yep.

2. I agree with you wholeheartedly that we have the world's best POPULAR music which we exported all over the globe. No one can compare. However, although we have good classical music....I mean, Europe. Europe and the old European traditions when it comes to classical beats us up down and sideways

Its fucking weird and is a weird remnant of the cold war.

You're think of The Pledge of Allegiance in schools, which in my opinion should go the way of the dodo unless there is in class instruction on its meaning and history, why it was altered from the original.

The National Anthem at sporting events dates back to 1918, a few years before the Cold War:

Nowadays, pretty much pointless ceremony if you ask me. But hey, whatever makes people feel better, I guess...

It isn't about a "need". The song is played so show some basic decorum. The song isn't the source of unnecessary attention.

Forum List

Back