John Stossel chimes in on EVs

In February 2020, three people died from suffocation at a party in Moscow when dry ice (frozen CO2) was added to a swimming pool to cool it down.[158] A similar accident occurred in 2018 when a woman died from CO2 fumes emanating from the large amount of dry ice she was transporting in her car.[159]
Would one say that a person who was hanged died from lack of oxygen?

"EV" means electric vehicle. "Car" calls up an image of excessive weight, size and power. A majority of personal moving about could be accomplished with electric vehicles and that would help the situation greatly. They might seem quite different for what passes at this time as "cars". Such "cars" will not be totally replaced by electric equivalents, and they shouldn't. The need, where it exists, for heavy-duty work vehicles can still be met with conventional power systems. They are not what is polluting our lungs and the environment seriously. Small, light, one or two passenger vehicles could bring down such pollution by as much as 80%, not to mention reducing traffic problems of all sorts. The only thing that is needed is a fresh look at how to get around and the willingness to try something new.
Please explain how we will evaluate the Tampa Bay Area in the future when everybody owns EVs. In the last evacuation people were having problems getting gasoline.

Please explain how we will evaluate the Tampa Bay Area in the future when everybody owns EVs. In the last evacuation people were having problems getting gasoline.

The area could be evaluated as one that should not be populated beyond the capacities to safely evacuate it, as storms are a certain part of its environment.

The area could be evaluated as one that should not be populated beyond the capacities to safely evacuate it, as storms are a certain part of its environment.
So are you going to depopulate the Tampa Bay Area or just let the people in their wonderful EVs die when the batteries run out on the freeway and the force 5 hurricane is coming?

Note that in a strong hurricane the power goes out for days if not weeks. If you gave everybody a generator to charge their cars you would have to also give them gasoline to run the generator.

To top everything off according to your Global Warming religion there will be more hurricane and stronger hurricanes because of the earth warming.

So are you going to depopulate the Tampa Bay Area or just let the people in their wonderful EVs die when the batteries run out on the freeway and the force 5 hurricane is coming?

Note that in a strong hurricane the power goes out for days if not weeks. If you gave everybody a generator to charge their cars you would have to also give them gasoline to run the generator.

To top everything off according to your Global Warming religion there will be more hurricane and stronger hurricanes because of the earth warming.
Good thought. Of course, when the power goes out, the gas pumps stop as well. Many counties require stations to have backup generators but they often fail and they're expensive. Home solar and wind turbines can charge cars. a single 150 kW portable diesel generatores could run a dozen fast chargers set up at the rest stops and service plazas. And, just to feed the discussion, guess which sort of vehicle lasts longer in stop and go traffic jams? I just made a 150 mile trip on Saturday when the traffic was still bad and my hybrid minivan got 42 mpg. I bet that 5.7 liter diesel next to me didn't do so well.

Good thought. Of course, when the power goes out, the gas pumps stop as well. Many counties require stations to have backup generators but they often fail and they're expensive. Home solar and wind turbines can charge cars. a single 150 kW portable diesel generatores could run a dozen fast chargers set up at the rest stops and service plazas. And, just to feed the discussion, guess which sort of vehicle lasts longer in stop and go traffic jams? I just made a 150 mile trip on Saturday when the traffic was still bad and my hybrid minivan got 42 mpg. I bet that 5.7 liter diesel next to me didn't do so well.
At this time I would consider buying a hybrid but not an EV. I can imagine being stuck in my vehicle between exits on a freeway during an evacuation (I live in Florida). I am not sure how I would get an EV recharged in that situation. I would likely have to be towed to a charging station. In a hybrid all I would need is a can of gas.

At this time I would consider buying a hybrid but not an EV. I can imagine being stuck in my vehicle between exits on a freeway during an evacuation (I live in Florida). I am not sure how I would get an EV recharged in that situation. I would likely have to be towed to a charging station. In a hybrid all I would need is a can of gas.
Which you will not get without electricity. I also live in Florida.

Which you will not get without electricity. I also live in Florida.
Since yuou live in Florida you should be aware of the Road Ranger Program. A road ranger can bring gasoline Unfortunately while that would help a hybrid it will not do anything for an EV.

In the future a road ranger might be able to bring a generator too but recharging takes more time so he will not be able to help as many people. Plus his generator will likely run off off gasoline.

The alternative if you are in a dead battery EV is to be towed.

In a mass evacuation you may be waiting quite a while for a tow truck.

"EV" means electric vehicle. "Car" calls up an image of excessive weight, size and power. A majority of personal moving about could be accomplished with electric vehicles and that would help the situation greatly. They might seem quite different for what passes at this time as "cars". Such "cars" will not be totally replaced by electric equivalents, and they shouldn't. The need, where it exists, for heavy-duty work vehicles can still be met with conventional power systems. They are not what is polluting our lungs and the environment seriously. Small, light, one or two passenger vehicles could bring down such pollution by as much as 80%, not to mention reducing traffic problems of all sorts. The only thing that is needed is a fresh look at how to get around and the willingness to try something new.
...along with no feasible plan to make it work Dimmer. It cannot happen without the ability to produce all that electricity needed.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. The great and powerful Oz has decided that EV’s are our future. How dare you question the great and powerful Oz.

Don't Ever Meet the Gang Green Halfway
I keep hearing about hybrids catching fire. That turns me off.

Since I live in Florida there is always the chance that my vehicle will be flooded. I don’t want an EV that decides to EXPLODE.

Funny, too bad you can't buy one. And if you could, you couldn't afford it. Never mind the fact that all these cars look like Saturn sedans and guess what everyone buys? SUVs. :laugh2:

I wonder how toxic that "salt water" would be? And how expensive?

It probably takes triple the energy to produce that you get out of it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back