Jimmy Carter was not the worst president we ever had.

WE ALL watched that energy spike. Which hit by the way in 1973, on Nixon's watch, two POTUSes before Carter.
Linear time. Get used to it.
Grow up!
There were two energy crisis in the 70's. The second one not only on Carter's watch but caused by Carter.

Google failed you again.

Oh I don't need Da Googles. I already knew that. I was actually there. Which makes "grow up" a fountain of irony.
Even better, I know contrived made-up bullshit when I see it. And I point it out, for free. You're welcome.

Btw the plural of crisis is crises. Richard Nixon actually used that word (correctly) in a book title. The more you know.
You didnt know shit. And yes, you are pretty good at contradicting yourself, you state it was nixon not carter, then you say you know it was carter, then you say it is made up bullshit that it was carter.

Grow up.

Actually I had already cited Nixon as catalyst, three weeks ago. See post 4. And then added to it the next day in post 41. Way to keep up.
Btw we actually capitalize proper nouns in English, tovarich.
Yes, english, you are terrible. would it not be, "nixon as a catalyst"? Btw? How about By the way? Who cares about nixon in this thread about carter?
I addressed carter and the energy crisis he created, you stated that carter did not have an energy crisis.

My comments had nothing to do with post 4, and post 4 has nothing to do with carter. Good job at, keeping up?

No, it would be "English" and "Nixon as catalyst". Ask your teacher what "capital letters" are.

Of course you didn't read post 4. Or 41. If you had you would have realized that the bullshit you just plopped was pre-scooped before you plopped it, and therefore never existed. You cited an energy crisis that Nixon created, and then pinned the name "carter [sic]" on it. Because you're a nidiot.

Finally I didn't "state that carter [sic] did not have an energy crisis". Prove me wrong. Then learn to read.
It's my opinion that this rhetoric has been repeated so often that Americans generally believe it to be true, that Carter was the worst president, even though it's obviously not true to anyone with an honest perspective of history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/opinion/jimmy-carters-unheralded-legacy.html

Call it historical perspective, call it acquired wisdom, call it simple nostalgia, but most things tend to look better in the rear view mirror. Take the hapless Jimmy Carter administration for example. Arguably, among the (many) negative things Carter will be remembered for are runaway inflation, the Iran hostage debacle, and questionable deregulation of the transportation, communication, and financial industries.

Vilified by the Republicans and mocked by the Democrats, Carter reached the point where he was regarded by his own party as such a political liability that they (in the person of Ted Kennedy) tried to torpedo him in the 1980 primary. Not something you do to a successful incumbent.

But despite the bad memories, Carter accomplished some fairly important things during his single term in office — things that, given the near-paralytic gridlock that defines today’s politics, seem all the more impressive in hindsight. Here are ten of them.

1. Created the Department of Energy. The DOE provided the administration with the bureaucratic chops to formulate and implement what could have been a comprehensive, long-term national energy strategy. Had Carter’s aggressive gas mileage standards continued to be pursued by subsequent administrations, we would today — 30-odd years later — be dramatically less dependent on Saudi oil.

2. Created the Department of Education. Despite howls from anti-government groups who opposed yet another federal agency, the decision to carve out Education from the already over-burdened Department. of Health, Education and Welfare (now the Department of Health and Human Services) was a bold and necessary one.

3. Supported SALT II (Strategic Arms Limitations Talks). It sounds trivial today, but in the 1970s a nuclear non-proliferation pact, even a flawed one, was seen as an important step in forging a lasting peace with the USSR. A generation ago, people were genuinely frightened of a nuclear holocaust. Although Carter and Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev signed the agreement, the U.S. Congress, in the wake of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, refused to ratify it.

4. Brokered the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. By initiating the Camp David Accords between Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian President Anwar Sadat (which led directly to the landmark treaty), Carter laid the groundwork for improved Israeli-Arab relations. That good relations in the region never materialized wasn’t Carter’s fault.

5. Installed solar panels in the White House. This was not only a practical gesture, but a symbolic one as well, demonstrating to the world that America was serious about conserving energy, and that conservation does, indeed, begin at home. Alas, Ronald Reagan believed solar panels made the United States look pathetic and needy, and had them removed.

6. Boycotted the 1980 Olympics. In response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Carter boycotted the Moscow games, a decision that earned him ridicule and scorn, even though Japan, West Germany, China, Canada, et al, supported his decision. Boycotts are unpredictable. Some work, most don’t. Still, who knows what would have happened if the world had boycotted the 2004 Olympics to protest of the U.S. invasion of Iraq? It might have made a difference.

7. Granted amnesty to Vietnam draft-dodgers. Even though Carter issued these unconditional pardons on January 21, 1977 (his first day in office), the political fallout was severe enough to cost him votes in the 1980 election. Controversial as it was, this gutsy call helped move the country forward, providing closure to one of the most divisive issues in American history.

8. Established diplomatic relations with China. Officially transferring U.S. diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to mainland China seems like a no-brainer today, but in the year 1979 it was a singularly progressive move.

9. Pushed for comprehensive health care reform. Carter’s plan was bigger, better, cheaper and — right out of the blocks — had a greater chance of passing in its original form than either Clinton’s or Obama’s plan, but inertia, timidity, and old-fashioned politics (both Democratic and Republican) ultimately killed it.

10. Returned the Panama Canal to Panama. Another gutsy move that surely cost him votes. By ceding the canal to tiny Panama, the mighty U.S. looked confident and magnanimous.... instead of paranoid and petty. Although Carter was able to secure bipartisan support, of the 20 senators who voted in favor of the treaty, and were up for re-election, only 7 were re-elected.

10 Good Things President Carter Did | HuffPost

I'm not sure people in general believe that outside an echo chamber like this board. Buchanan, Harding and Grant are usually cited at or near the position of "worst". Lotta people though seem to attribute the freeing of the Iran hostages to Carter's successor and sweep under the rug that he got it done.

Carter didn't create that inflationary economy or the oil crises --- the "Nixon Shock" did that in 1973 and it saddled both Ford and Carter through the 1970s. And Carter has pointed out that in his tenure we never started a war, never dropped a bomb, never fired a shot. One of precious few POTUSes who can say that, and the only one since Hoover. Of course the MIC isn't going to like that, that's why he was not in the script and had to go. Because Lockheed Martin ain't gonna make no money from peace bombs.

It's my opinion that this rhetoric has been repeated so often that Americans generally believe it to be true, that Carter was the worst president, even though it's obviously not true to anyone with an honest perspective of history.

Call it historical perspective, call it acquired wisdom, call it simple nostalgia, but most things tend to look better in the rear view mirror. Take the hapless Jimmy Carter administration for example. Arguably, among the (many) negative things Carter will be remembered for are runaway inflation, the Iran hostage debacle, and questionable deregulation of the transportation, communication, and financial industries.

Vilified by the Republicans and mocked by the Democrats, Carter reached the point where he was regarded by his own party as such a political liability that they (in the person of Ted Kennedy) tried to torpedo him in the 1980 primary. Not something you do to a successful incumbent.

But despite the bad memories, Carter accomplished some fairly important things during his single term in office — things that, given the near-paralytic gridlock that defines today’s politics, seem all the more impressive in hindsight. Here are ten of them.

1. Created the Department of Energy. The DOE provided the administration with the bureaucratic chops to formulate and implement what could have been a comprehensive, long-term national energy strategy. Had Carter’s aggressive gas mileage standards continued to be pursued by subsequent administrations, we would today — 30-odd years later — be dramatically less dependent on Saudi oil.

2. Created the Department of Education. Despite howls from anti-government groups who opposed yet another federal agency, the decision to carve out Education from the already over-burdened Department. of Health, Education and Welfare (now the Department of Health and Human Services) was a bold and necessary one.

3. Supported SALT II (Strategic Arms Limitations Talks). It sounds trivial today, but in the 1970s a nuclear non-proliferation pact, even a flawed one, was seen as an important step in forging a lasting peace with the USSR. A generation ago, people were genuinely frightened of a nuclear holocaust. Although Carter and Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev signed the agreement, the U.S. Congress, in the wake of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, refused to ratify it.

4. Brokered the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. By initiating the Camp David Accords between Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian President Anwar Sadat (which led directly to the landmark treaty), Carter laid the groundwork for improved Israeli-Arab relations. That good relations in the region never materialized wasn’t Carter’s fault.

5. Installed solar panels in the White House. This was not only a practical gesture, but a symbolic one as well, demonstrating to the world that America was serious about conserving energy, and that conservation does, indeed, begin at home. Alas, Ronald Reagan believed solar panels made the United States look pathetic and needy, and had them removed.

6. Boycotted the 1980 Olympics. In response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Carter boycotted the Moscow games, a decision that earned him ridicule and scorn, even though Japan, West Germany, China, Canada, et al, supported his decision. Boycotts are unpredictable. Some work, most don’t. Still, who knows what would have happened if the world had boycotted the 2004 Olympics to protest of the U.S. invasion of Iraq? It might have made a difference.

7. Granted amnesty to Vietnam draft-dodgers. Even though Carter issued these unconditional pardons on January 21, 1977 (his first day in office), the political fallout was severe enough to cost him votes in the 1980 election. Controversial as it was, this gutsy call helped move the country forward, providing closure to one of the most divisive issues in American history.

8. Established diplomatic relations with China. Officially transferring U.S. diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to mainland China seems like a no-brainer today, but in the year 1979 it was a singularly progressive move.

9. Pushed for comprehensive health care reform. Carter’s plan was bigger, better, cheaper and — right out of the blocks — had a greater chance of passing in its original form than either Clinton’s or Obama’s plan, but inertia, timidity, and old-fashioned politics (both Democratic and Republican) ultimately killed it.

10. Returned the Panama Canal to Panama. Another gutsy move that surely cost him votes. By ceding the canal to tiny Panama, the mighty U.S. looked confident and magnanimous.... instead of paranoid and petty. Although Carter was able to secure bipartisan support, of the 20 senators who voted in favor of the treaty, and were up for re-election, only 7 were re-elected.

Woodrow Wilson is by far the worst President EVA!!

He oversaw the expansion of the Progressive era, with the Federal Income tax, creation of the Fed, entrance into WW1, and sowing the seeds for WW2 with the League of nations.

Did I mention he was an insane racist who despised the Constitution?

Putting it into perspective, all the monuments in Washington DC are built for war time Presidents......EXCEPT Jefferson and Wilson. Jefferson was such a great President he got his own monument without starting a war, and Wilson was so terrible he did not get a monument despite overseeing a major war.

Everyone knows it.

I'm not sure people in general believe that outside an echo chamber like this board.
You challenged me to read your other posts. So I am. I came across this sentence. Seeings how you have become the grammar police of this thread (typically that means you lost your argument), I am wondering what you think you were trying to convey in this sentence? Do you consider this proper grammar.

You should practice what you preach and be perfect before you attack someone's simple mistakes. I would say this is a gross error on your part. Were you drunk? Were you just stupid? Were you being lazy? Do you consider yourself a hypocrite!

I get it, you are pissed off that you have no argument, that history does not agree with you. That experts in the Petroleum industry correct the people you formed your opinion of "fungible" from.

So you attack grammar. You lost the grammar attack before I joined this thread. Your comments are littered with poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

I almost hate to say this, but only a complete moron would attack another's grammar, spelling and or puctuation without making sure that first and foremost, theirs is in order.

I'm not sure people in general believe that outside an echo chamber like this board. Buchanan, Harding and Grant are usually cited at or near the position of "worst". Lotta people though seem to attribute the freeing of the Iran hostages to Carter's successor and sweep under the rug that he got it done.

Carter didn't create that inflationary economy or the oil crises --- the "Nixon Shock" did that in 1973 and it saddled both Ford and Carter through the 1970s. And Carter has pointed out that in his tenure we never started a war, never dropped a bomb, never fired a shot. One of precious few POTUSes who can say that, and the only one since Hoover. Of course the MIC isn't going to like that, that's why he was not in the script and had to go. Because Lockheed Martin ain't gonna make no money from peace bombs.
I highlighted some of your errors, you make many. You do not use commas, your grammar is poor. Hell, you use words that are not words. Of course, I understood and stuck to the subject. You could not because you can not support your opinion by providing facts. Hence you became the grammar police. Your grammar and punctuation is atrocious.

Hostages, Iran released the hostages after Carter lost the presidency, after Reagan was inaugurated. Carter did not get it done. Had carter got it done, they would not of spent 444 days in captivity.

Nixon created the Carter economy? Nixon created the oil crisis of 1979. Sorry, history records the oil crises of the 1970's as two very separate crises. Separate crises with a separate cause for each crisis.

Carter never started a war? No, but Iran did commit an act of war in which carter should of responded. Invading our embassy and taking the hostages.

Carter never fired a shot? Because his effort to rescue the hostages crashed in a dust storm! He certainly was prepared to fire, he just tripped and fell in the sand. Of course carter can twist that gross mishap into, "I never fired a shot".

Carter never dropped a bomb. Nope, instead he sat slack jawed and dumbfounded as Adolph Dubs, our ambassador to Afghanistan was murdered.

Carter, the worst president in history? It is hard to argue otherwise.

Last edited:

I highlighted your first sentence, it makes no sense. It is not proper English.

Hostages, Iran released the hostages after Carter lost the presidency, after Reagan was inaugurated. Carter did not get it done. Had carter got it done, they would not of spent 444 days in captivity.

Nixon created the Carter economy? Nixon created the oil crisis of 1979. Sorry, history records the oil crises of the 1970's as two very separate crises. Separate crises with a separate cause for each crisis.

Carter never started a war? No, but Iran did commit an act of war in which carter should of responded. Invading our embassy and taking the hostages.

Carter never fired a shot? Because his effort to rescue the hostages crashed in a dust storm! He certainly was prepared to fire, he just tripped and fell in the sand. Of course carter can twist that gross mishap into, "I never fired a shot".

Carter never dropped a bomb. Nope, instead he sat slack jawed and dumbfounded as Adolph Dubs, our ambassador to Afghanistan was murdered.

fdr was worse.

WE ALL watched that energy spike. Which hit by the way in 1973, on Nixon's watch, two POTUSes before Carter.
Grow up!
There were two energy crisis in the 70's. The second one not only on Carter's watch but caused by Carter.

Google failed you again.

Oh I don't need Da Googles. I already knew that. I was actually there. Which makes "grow up" a fountain of irony.
Even better, I know contrived made-up bullshit when I see it. And I point it out, for free. You're welcome.

Btw the plural of crisis is crises. Richard Nixon actually used that word (correctly) in a book title. The more you know.

Hey pogo where you been

Of course, he was not the worse.

He did NOT get us into a bloody Civil War.
He did NOT get us into World War I.
He did NOT get us into World War II.
He did NOT get us into the Korean War.
He did NOT get us into the Vietnam War.
He did NOT invade Iraq based on a lie.
That’s why people always have shit on their face with their bs crap that he was the worst,those are just a few excellent examples that prove there were many others before him worse than him and too many others out there that can be listed all the other one we had after him were ALL worse than he was as well.lol

This thread is some funny shit....These goofballs are all act as though history began the day they were born.

Worst presidents?....Lets start with Woodrow Wilson, then move on to Lincoln, FDR, and LBJ....All four the the most racist, wormongering, power drunk thugs ever to infest 1600 Pennsylvania.

Carter was merely and incompetent fart in the wind in comparison to these titans of tyranny.
Yes. Americans generally have notoriously short attention spans and even shorter recollection of history. Sometimes on purpose, other times out of pure apathy and ignorance.
Indeed especially forgetting all the crimes against humanity all the other presidents after carter have committed that were ten times worse than anything he ever did.hee hee.

Of course, he was not the worse.

He did NOT get us into a bloody Civil War.
He did NOT get us into World War I.
He did NOT get us into World War II.
He did NOT get us into the Korean War.
He did NOT get us into the Vietnam War.
He did NOT invade Iraq based on a lie.

He also did not escalate the war in Afghanistan, bomb Libya, fight the war in Iraq for three years, lie to us about Benghazi, create that disastrous Obamacare, use the IRS to curtail a grassroots political movement, kiss Castro ass in front of the whole world and give billions of dollars to the Iraina Mullahs so that is why he considered only the second worst President.
Blah blah blah blah from you as always,grow up.

I didn't like Carter and was no fan of Reagan either. A shill for corporate America and screw the worker.
See this poster is being fair AND objective unlike idiot trolls like flasH and others calling him the second worst after Obama.This poster is objective coming down on carter but at that same time does not ignore facts that Reagan was a traiter to lower class workers posting the TRUTH that he was a corporate shill who screwed the workers.so enough of this bullshit already that Reagan was a great president,thats the biggest gross lie and an insult to patriotic Americans.

Grow up!

Google failed you again.

Hey pogo where you been

Kind of on strike after having had e-fucking-nough of this board's rampant moderation bias. Thanks for askin' Bear. Cheers and good health to you 'n' yours.

I'm not sure people in general believe that outside an echo chamber like this board.
You challenged me to read your other posts. So I am. I came across this sentence. Seeings how you have become the grammar police of this thread (typically that means you lost your argument), I am wondering what you think you were trying to convey in this sentence? Do you consider this proper grammar.

You should practice what you preach and be perfect before you attack someone's simple mistakes. I would say this is a gross error on your part. Were you drunk? Were you just stupid? Were you being lazy? Do you consider yourself a hypocrite!

I get it, you are pissed off that you have no argument, that history does not agree with you. That experts in the Petroleum industry correct the people you formed your opinion of "fungible" from.

So you attack grammar. You lost the grammar attack before I joined this thread. Your comments are littered with poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

I almost hate to say this, but only a complete moron would attack another's grammar, spelling and or puctuation without making sure that first and foremost, theirs is in order.

You've committed blatant gross and basic fuggups of failing to capitalize proper nouns, e.g. "carter [sic]", "nixon [sic]". My sentence you've cited above could have been clearer given a comma between "that" and "outside", but that's optional punctuation. It's more telling however that, (<comma), after failing to make your cases of complete historical fabrications (no comma) you've shifted to whining about punctuation instead.

And yes, I do make up my own words, in this case "fuggups". You let me know if you can't figure out what it means.

You've committed blatant gross and basic fuggups of failing to capitalize proper nouns, e.g. "carter [sic]", "nixon [sic]". My sentence you've cited above could have been clearer given a comma between "that" and "outside", but that's optional punctuation. It's more telling however that, (<comma), after failing to make your cases of complete historical fabrications (no comma) you've shifted to whining about punctuation instead.

And yes, I do make up my own words, in this case "fuggups". You let me know if you can't figure out what it means.
your grammar is terrible, very bad, i am almost surprised you attacked mine but i recognize stupid when i see it

certainly you will never comprehend that history disagrees with your opinion

He oversaw the expansion of the Progressive era, with the Federal Income tax, creation of the Fed, entrance into WW1, and sowing the seeds for WW2 with the League of nations.

Putting it into perspective, all the monuments in Washington DC are built for war time Presidents......EXCEPT Jefferson and Wilson. Jefferson was such a great President he got his own monument without starting a war, and Wilson was so terrible he did not get a monument despite overseeing a major war.

Everyone knows it.

He committed a lot more fuggups (see last post) than you've cited here, f'rinstance intervening all over Latin America, f'rinstance having troops fighting in the friggin' Soviet Union up to 1920, f'rinstance ignoring the plea of a young nationalist to back up his (Wilson's) own rhetoric challenging imperialist nations to let their colonies rule themselves and thus help his country fend off one of those imperial powers (that would be Ho Chi Minh), f'rinstance presiding over the infamous Palmer Raids which deported people for their friggin' political beliefs, f'rinstance sending the so-called "Spanish" (read: Kansas) flu to decimate Europe, while himself contracting that virus and lying about it.

American history however does not begin in 1913, and thus there are other competitors for the "worst" title, such as Buchanan -- and a string of POTUSes before him -- failing to mend the rift that led to the Civil War; such as the deep corruption of the Grant and Harding administrations, such as invading a sovereign nation on the basis of 9/11 while acknowledging it had nothing to do with it, and of course the current colossal COVID fuggup, so the superlative of "worst" is very much up for debate.

Wilson was so nationally despised by the time he left office that the next Republican challenger in 1920 hardly had to campaign at all and cruised to what was then the biggest landslide in electoral history --- a scenario to which Joe Biden can readily relate. His image has been sanitized since then largely by his wife, the erstwhile acting President.

Meanwhile Carter, just to return to original topic, didn't send troops into Russia, didn't deport people for political beliefs, didn't run around starting wars, didn't have corruption scandals, didn't lie about pandemics, didn't fail to address national schisms, and didn't claim his father was born in a very wonderful place in Germany, so he's not even IN that mix.

Last edited:

Everyone knows it.

He committed a lot more fuggups (see last post) than you've cited here, f'rinstance intervening all over Latin America, f'rinstance having troops fighting in the friggin' Soviet Union up to 1920, f'rinstance ignoring the plea of a young nationalist to back up his (Wilson's) own rhetoric challenging imperialist nations to let their colonies rule themselves and thus help his country fend off one of those imperial powers (that would be Ho Chi Minh), f'rinstance presiding over the infamous Palmer Raids which deported people for their friggin' political beliefs, f'rinstance sending the so-called "Spanish" (read: Kansas) flu to decimate Europe, while himself contracting that virus and lying about it.

American history however does not begin in 1913, and thus there are other competitors for the "worst" title, such as Buchanan -- and a string of POTUSes before him -- failing to mend the rift that led to the Civil War; such as the deep corruption of the Grant and Harding administrations, such as invading a sovereign nation on the basis of 9/11 while acknowledging it had nothing to do with it, and of course the current colossal COVID fuggup, so the superlative of "worst" is very much up for debate.

Wilson was so nationally despised by the time he left office that the next Republican challenger in 1920 hardly had to campaign at all and cruised to what was then the biggest landslide in electoral history --- a scenario to which Joe Biden can readily relate. His image has been sanitized since then largely by his wife, the erstwhile acting President.

Meanwhile Carter, just to return to original topic, didn't send troops into Russia, didn't deport people for political beliefs, didn't run around starting wars, didn't have corruption scandals, didn't lie about pandemics, didn't fail to address national schisms, and didn't claim his father was born in a very wonderful place in Germany, so he's not even IN that mix.
I forgot this bold accomplishment.

Everyone knows it.

I forgot this bold accomplishment.

And that gives him a credit directly counter to the criticisms of Buchanan, Pierce et al for their allowing national divisions to fester and eventually erupt in the Civil War, in the list of failures of the "worst" list.

Tellingly nobody whines about that move today, so Carter was right to do so.

RE that Panama Canal thingy by the way, like the Iran hostage situation where the Algiers Accords that ended it provided that the US would not intervene politically or militarily in that country's affairs (as we blatantly did in 1953 which begat the Shah and all the Shit which followed), Panama itself had been created by the Teddy Roosevelt administration fomenting (via fake news) a revolt that seceded what had been a province of Colombia, so those who adopt the butthurt position about that are implicitly endorsing the US imperialism that made it happen in the first place. Add to that that tensions about the Canal status had been boiling for fifteen years and that the treaty Carter signed had been assembled during the administrations of Nixon and Ford (who also supported the treaty), and we're left with a Carter "criticism" with all the air let out of its tires.

I highlighted some of your errors, you make many. You do not use commas, your grammar is poor. Hell, you use words that are not words. Of course, I understood and stuck to the subject. You could not because you can not support your opinion by providing facts. Hence you became the grammar police. Your grammar and punctuation is atrocious.

The Iranian revolution caused the oil crisis in 1979.

The embargo of 1973 was Israel and Nixon.

The Iranian revolution caused the oil crisis in 1979.

The embargo of 1973 was Israel and Nixon.
The Iranian revolution, brought on by inept policies of Jimmy Carter was one factor in 1979. But the energy crisis during Carter's term as president, was the entire term, from the day he took office to the day he left office.

As we see now, there is plenty of oil in the USA, plenty of natural gas. There was no reason there should of been an energy shortage.

Carter's inept policies made things worst. Carter began the GREEN ENERGY scam, which was certainly part of the reason there was a gas shortage.

Forum List

Back