Jesus died for your sins ??

Actually, that is your own assessment. There are many Holy Books that are not of my faith, and I (and most of those who are not of that faith) respect them as the Holy Ground of people of that faith. That you cannot do the same for the Bible (or probably any other Holy writing) says a lot.
I've read religious texts from various faiths and I hole them all in the same regard as valuable sociological and anthropological resources.

Religion and belief in gods has been part of the human societal fabric for as long as there have been humans.

I've read religious texts from various faiths and I hole them all in the same regard as valuable sociological and anthropological resources.

Religion and belief in gods has been part of the human societal fabric for as long as there have been humans.
Insincerity becomes no one. Especially when it is also patronizing.

OK so let's play the game again where I ask you to quote me where I said we can't know anything and you refuse to do so because you are lying about what I said
Then why else would you keep bringing up dark matter if to not to cast a dispersion on the universe being created from nothing?

Insincerity becomes no one. Especially when it is also patronizing.
Maybe you need to not be so defensive.

My opinion is not patronizing nor insincere.

Religious texts have different meanings to different people, you said so yourself.

Then why else would you keep bringing up dark matter if to not to cast a dispersion on the universe being created from nothing?
Dispersion?

Really?

I am presenting a valid argument as to what we as humans actually understand about the universe.

We have a working understanding of 5% of the stuff that makes up the universe. we have no clue as to what the other 95% is and yet you seem to think you can state with absolute certainty how 100% of the universe was created.

For all we know what we call dark matter and dark energy which might not even be matter or energy was already here when the universe inflated maybe it was the framework into which the universe expanded. We simply don't know.

The fact of the matter is that all we are doing is providing our best guess based on what we observe and we can't observe. Those observations are limited to the 5% of the universe we actually understand.

Maybe you need to not be so defensive.

My opinion is not patronizing nor insincere.
I am far from being defensive. This began when you said the Bible was fiction. I noted that the Bible was more likely compared to a library of ancient man--yes, some fiction, but also, law, philosophy, history, biography--but you still labeled it fiction. You dismiss their laws, the wisdom of the day, how they communicate histories and biographies so they remain memorable, etc. Even the themes of the fiction pieces carry profound truths.

So in your eyes, the Bible is still fiction, and me presenting how many see it is being defensive. Shrug. Could it be you are defending the Bible as fiction and are projecting your own defensiveness onto me?

I am far from being defensive. This began when you said the Bible was fiction. I noted that the Bible was more likely compared to a library of ancient man--yes, some fiction, but also, law, philosophy, history, biography--but you still labeled it fiction. You dismiss their laws, the wisdom of the day, how they communicate histories and biographies so they remain memorable, etc. Even the themes of the fiction pieces carry profound truths.

So in your eyes, the Bible is still fiction, and me presenting how many see it is being defensive. Shrug. Could it be you are defending the Bible as fiction and are projecting your own defensiveness onto me?
Just to get this straight this is what I actually said

It's a story that many believe is fictional.

That is neither insincere nor patronizing but is a mere statement of fact.

That is neither insincere nor patronizing but is a mere statement of fact.
Exactly. Like the sun rises in the east. That is why it is patronizing. It is insincere because I am not talking to "many", I am talking to you and what you believe about the Bible, not what "many" believe.

I know you wrote this for shock effect, but no. Mary gave permission; it wasn't rape; you can't murder a life that you created. That's not murder.

If you read more carefully without letting your imagination run amok you will see that it was just some guy dressed in robes who came to her window in the middle of the night claiming to be an angel who was sent by God to impregnate her with a holy child.

It was either a sardonic roman centurion tricking her into giving up the goods for laughs or a temple priest who took the name of angels and believed it was his duty to pass on his holy seed. Either way she was taken advantage of for being parthenos, in a gullible virgin state.

Can you imagine the looks her parents gave each other when she said that she was never with a mere man, she was with an angel who came to her window in the middle of the night etc. etc.,

Last edited:
Dispersion?

Really?

I am presenting a valid argument as to what we as humans actually understand about the universe.

We have a working understanding of 5% of the stuff that makes up the universe. we have no clue as to what the other 95% is and yet you seem to think you can state with absolute certainty how 100% of the universe was created.

For all we know what we call dark matter and dark energy which might not even be matter or energy was already here when the universe inflated maybe it was the framework into which the universe expanded. We simply don't know.

The fact of the matter is that all we are doing is providing our best guess based on what we observe and we can't observe. Those observations are limited to the 5% of the universe we actually understand.
And ignoring the conversation about the origin of the universe and all that cosmic background radiation that makes you uncomfortable.

By the way... you can turn on any TV set with an old school antenna and see the background radiation of the universe on any channel that isn't broadcasting. You know... the evidence for the universe being created from nothing. You can literally see it represented as static with your own eye. But don't let your own eyes fool you. Ignore seeing that background radiation because you don't understand dark matter... if it even exists in the first place.

If you read more carefully without letting your imagination run amok you will see that it was just some guy dressed in robes who came to her window in the middle of the night claiming to be an angel who was sent by God to impregnate her with a holy child.

It was either a sardonic roman centurion tricking her into giving up the goods for laughs or a temple priest who took the name of angels and believed it was his duty to pass on his holy seed. Either way she was taken advantage of for being parthenos, in a gullible virgin state.

Can you imagine the looks her parents gave each other when she said that she was never with a mere man, she was with an angel who came to her window in the middle of the night etc. etc.,
If you read more carefully
howabout - she was pregnant ... and they weren't married yet and he wasn't the daddy - - had to have been supernatural, how else could it have happened.

Exactly. Like the sun rises in the east. That is why it is patronizing. It is insincere because I am not talking to "many", I am talking to you and what you believe about the Bible, not what "many" believe.
I told you what I believe, the the bible is a valuable sociological and anthropological resource.

I do not think it is the word of a god just like I don't think the Koran is the word of a god.

There are an estimated 4000 different religions in the world it only makes sense that they all can't be correct.

There are an estimated 4000 different religions in the world it only makes sense that they all can't be correct.
That's like saying, "There are over 6,500 languages in the world and it only makes sense that they all can't be correct."

We use language to communicate. We use religion to acknowledge and reach out to a higher power. Claiming that since there are thousands of different ways of reaching out to a power higher than self so they cannot all be correct, is like claiming since there are thousands of ways to communicate, they can't all be correct.

Trying to find the "correct" religion is as futile as trying to find the "correct" language. In which language can you best communicate? In which religion can you best know the Higher Power?

Can you be respectful of those who speak a different language? Can you be respectful of others holy grounds when it comes to their religion?

That's like saying, "There are over 6,500 languages in the world and it only makes sense that they all can't be correct."

We use language to communicate. We use religion to acknowledge and reach out to a higher power. Claiming that since there are thousands of different ways of reaching out to a power higher than self so they cannot all be correct, is like claiming since there are thousands of ways to communicate, they can't all be correct.

Trying to find the "correct" religion is as futile as trying to find the "correct" language. In which language can you best communicate? In which religion can you best know the Higher Power?

Can you be respectful of those who speak a different language? Can you be respectful of others holy grounds when it comes to their religion?
Poor analogy.

If there is only one god then there can be only one correct religion unless it is your assertion that the one god told different people different ways to live and worship.

And not believing what you believe about a book isn't being disrespectful.

If there is only one god then there can be only one correct religion unless it is your assertion that the one god told different people different ways to live and worship.
Ever teach art? Even with the same model, the variations in each depiction are noticeable. Ever teach any class? The variations in what students hear can be quite astounding. (Some don't hear a thing. ;) ) Do you have children? Parents who have more than one can tell you how surprised they are at the variations that occur in children with the same parents and parenting.

Perhaps it never occurred to you that God can work with a people all marching to different drummers? Why do you think it important that we all be in lockstep with one another, cookie stamp versions of each other?

What you see as weakness is most likely strength.

Forum List

Back