Jefferson National Park (St Louis Arch) renamed. Snowflakes strike again!

You can't find anything that says why the name was changed? It's in your second link dufus. They had named the park BEFORE the Gateway Arch was constructed or even thought of, and because more people knew it by the nickname Gateway Arch, meaning that is where the western expansion started and that was where the "gateway" to the West was. And, if you are pissed about the name change, blame Trump, he's the one that signed it into law.

From your link at the bottom of your post......................

ST. LOUIS, MO — The park with the Gateway Arch has a new official name. It is no longer called the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. Now it will be known as Gateway Arch National Park. Supporters say renaming the national park makes it more recognizable to visitors.

“The name ‘Jefferson National Expansion Memorial’ was established long before the Gateway Arch was envisioned, and has simply never been adopted by our millions of visitors,” writes Superintendent at the Gateway Arch National Park Mike Ward. “We hope this new name will best reflect the magnificent renovations and visitor experience we will unveil in a few months.”

President Trump signed the bill into law Thursday. Legislation to change the park’s name was introduced in the U.S. Senate last summer.Both Missouri senators and St. Louis area representatives sponsored the bill. It was passed by the U.S. Senate on Dec. 21, 2017, and by the U.S. House of Representatives on February 7, 2018.

• Banned
You can't find anything that says why the name was changed? It's in your second link dufus. They had named the park BEFORE the Gateway Arch was constructed or even thought of, and because more people knew it by the nickname Gateway Arch, meaning that is where the western expansion started and that was where the "gateway" to the West was. And, if you are pissed about the name change, blame Trump, he's the one that signed it into law.

ST. LOUIS, MO — The park with the Gateway Arch has a new official name. It is no longer called the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial. Now it will be known as Gateway Arch National Park. Supporters say renaming the national park makes it more recognizable to visitors.

“The name ‘Jefferson National Expansion Memorial’ was established long before the Gateway Arch was envisioned, and has simply never been adopted by our millions of visitors,” writes Superintendent at the Gateway Arch National Park Mike Ward. “We hope this new name will best reflect the magnificent renovations and visitor experience we will unveil in a few months.”

President Trump signed the bill into law Thursday. Legislation to change the park’s name was introduced in the U.S. Senate last summer.Both Missouri senators and St. Louis area representatives sponsored the bill. It was passed by the U.S. Senate on Dec. 21, 2017, and by the U.S. House of Representatives on February 7, 2018.
That is the reason they gave in their press releases. It was NOT the reason the discussion began. They have detailed multiple reasons that go much further into depth as well as much further down the rabbit hole.

1. Mexicans
2. Indians
3. Slavery
4. American exceptionalism
5. Auto industry (lol)

What they are telling the public now is the bullshit you just regurgitated. That is NOT what they were saying when this all started.
Jefferson is evil was the initiating reason and the detailed list of absurdity went from there.

Like you Trump was probably clueless otherwise I guarantee you he would not have signed it.

St. Louis landmark officially gets new name: ‘Gateway Arch National Park’

More revisionist history bullshit. Gotta whitewash that American history ya know! And they also said the old name promoted the MYTH of American Exceptionalism.

I can not find a link that lists the specific reasons for the name change but it has been a hot topic of contention on local radio today.

It is like you just ignore the actual article you cited

That is the reason they gave in their press releases. It was NOT the reason the discussion began. They have detailed multiple reasons that go much further into depth as well as much further down the rabbit hole.

1. Mexicans
2. Indians
3. Slavery
5. Auto industry (lol)

What they are telling the public now is the bullshit you just regurgitated. That is NOT what they were saying when this all started.
Jefferson is evil was the initiating reason and the detailed list of absurdity went from there.

Like you Trump was probably clueless otherwise I guarantee you he would not have signed it.

It's not what they were saying when all this started? If that is the case, why did you post the links you did? You should have posted a link that said the actual nefarious reason you think they did.

Trump was clueless when he signed it? Thank you for admitting that the Cheeto In Chief is clueless. But, we already knew that.

And................fwiw.................the only name I ever heard for that place was the nickname Gateway Arch. I never knew that it was called the other longer name, I just knew it as Gateway Arch, and have for most of my 50 plus years.

• Banned

More revisionist history bullshit. Gotta whitewash that American history ya know! And they also said the old name promoted the MYTH of American Exceptionalism.

I can not find a link that lists the specific reasons for the name change but it has been a hot topic of contention on local radio today.

I gave the article as a link to the change. I didn't ignore anything. It is the media that is ignoring the facts.

Unless you too are going to suggest you know more than our local ABC radio affiliate

Grampa is just looking for something to be outraged about. I find it funny that he didn't check his own link which gives the reason, as well as says that Trump is the one that signed it into law, meaning Trump is responsible for the name change, because he could have vetoed it.

Don't worry, there is a memorial and cry-in scheduled for all snowflake butthurt conservatives in driving distance. Be sure to bring plenty of tissue. And for god's sake clean up after yourselves this time you pigs.

:laughing0301:

• Banned

Grampa is just looking for something to be outraged about. I find it funny that he didn't check his own link which gives the reason, as well as says that Trump is the one that signed it into law, meaning Trump is responsible for the name change, because he could have vetoed it.
I read the entire link dumbass. Why else would I say I couldn't find a link with the full story.

It seems it is YOU who can not read.
And yes, it is a reason to bitch.

I gave the article as a link to the change. I didn't ignore anything. It is the media that is ignoring the facts.

Unless you too are going to suggest you know more than our local ABC radio affiliate

But even your local media station (who you apparently think has a good grasp of this story) said that the name change was because people knew the place better as Gateway Arch. Are you saying that you know more than your local media source? Because you have said that they are ignoring the facts, so which is it? Do they know what is going on, or are they ignoring something? You have claimed both.

You are the snowflake melting down over this dude. And, you didn't even bother to read your link which says the opposite of what you are posting. And, finally, there is the FACT that your dear leader Trump is responsible for the name change.

Face it dude.....................thread fail.

I read the entire link dumbass. Why else would I say I couldn't find a link with the full story.

It seems it is YOU who can not read.
And yes, it is a reason to bitch.

If you want to bitch about something, at least get a link that supports your bullshit, not something that says the opposite.

Just sayin'...........................:abgg2q.jpg:

1. Mexicans
2. Indians
3. Slavery
5. Auto industry (lol)

It's not what they were saying when all this started? If that is the case, why did you post the links you did? You should have posted a link that said the actual nefarious reason you think they did.

Trump was clueless when he signed it? Thank you for admitting that the Cheeto In Chief is clueless. But, we already knew that.

And................fwiw.................the only name I ever heard for that place was the nickname Gateway Arch. I never knew that it was called the other longer name, I just knew it as Gateway Arch, and have for most of my 50 plus years.
i agree ...i never heard of the longer name either......

Did you even bother to read the story?

The original name was adopted BEFORE the arch. They wanted a name associated with the Arch so people can find it on the National Parks website, make reservations to visit etc.

I bet 99.99999% of Americans never even knew the original name...nor did they care.

No whitewash. Just sensible marketing of a great landmark using a thing called "name recognition."

But even your local media station (who you apparently think has a good grasp of this story) said that the name change was because people knew the place better as Gateway Arch. Are you saying that you know more than your local media source? Because you have said that they are ignoring the facts, so which is it? Do they know what is going on, or are they ignoring something? You have claimed both.

You are the snowflake melting down over this dude. And, you didn't even bother to read your link which says the opposite of what you are posting. And, finally, there is the FACT that your dear leader Trump is responsible for the name change.

As Gateway Arch Turns 50, Its Message Gets Reframed

For instance, the Arch was built to honor St. Louis' role in westward expansion, a time when Manifest Destiny was used to push Native Americans and Mexicans out of their lands. The museum under the Arch is being redesigned to include that perspective. National Park Service historian Bob Moore says the original museum left a lot of people out of the story.

"Why did they feel that they could go out and just take these lands?" Moore says. "Basically they believed it was their God-given right."

Racial inequality is another shadow some see cast by the Arch.

University of Kentucky historian Tracy Campbell says African-American neighborhoods were razed when the U.S. government annexed 40 acres of historic downtown St. Louis to create the Arch grounds. It was the height of the depression and civic leaders considered the area blighted.

That is just the tip of the iceberg for what the debate was.

The thread is not a fail just because YOU are uninformed on the matter.

Idiot

Grampa just has to have something to be pissed about that he thinks he can blame on the liberals for adopting political correctness.

But, like I said, I never knew it by the longer name, I just knew it as Gateway Arch. And, the reason they made the structure in the form of an arch is because that is where the trails west all started.

I think that if the people who named the park in the first place knew that eventually there would be a memorial there in the form of an arch would have named it Gateway Arch Park as well.

I'm inclined to agree that the "Jefferson national expansion memorial" was an awkward name. Most people referred to it as the "Gateway Arch" anyway.

Trump signed it :itsok:

Grampa just has to have something to be pissed about that he thinks he can blame on the liberals for adopting political correctness.

But, like I said, I never knew it by the longer name, I just knew it as Gateway Arch. And, the reason they made the structure in the form of an arch is because that is where the trails west all started.

I think that if the people who named the park in the first place knew that eventually there would be a memorial there in the form of an arch would have named it Gateway Arch Park as well.
So I like how you just skipped over the post where I proved you wrong

For instance, the Arch was built to honor St. Louis' role in westward expansion, a time when Manifest Destiny was used to push Native Americans and Mexicans out of their lands. The museum under the Arch is being redesigned to include that perspective. National Park Service historian Bob Moore says the original museum left a lot of people out of the story.

"Why did they feel that they could go out and just take these lands?" Moore says. "Basically they believed it was their God-given right."

University of Kentucky historian Tracy Campbell says African-American neighborhoods were razed when the U.S. government annexed 40 acres of historic downtown St. Louis to create the Arch grounds. It was the height of the depression and civic leaders considered the area blighted.

Idiot

Again, your link doesn't quite say what you are claiming. In this case, you actually did read the link, but in your selective editing, you left out one important fact. They aren't redesigning the arch, but are rather expanding the museum's displays and message to include the fact that our expansion west did actually uproot quite a few native people. That isn't really changing what happened, it's expanding it to include more than just the good stuff.

From your link..........................and, I included the part where they say they are expanding the message to include more than just the pioneers, they now are also going to show what the effect was on the natives as we expanded west.

Keep melting snowflake......................

For all the wonder and appreciation St. Louis' Gateway Arch monument inspires, some see the message and history of the Arch as divisive.

Idiot

Again, your link doesn't quite say what you are claiming. In this case, you actually did read the link, but in your selective editing, you left out one important fact. They aren't redesigning the arch, but are rather expanding the museum's displays and message to include the fact that our expansion west did actually uproot quite a few native people. That isn't really changing what happened, it's expanding it to include more than just the good stuff.

From your link..........................and, I included the part where they say they are expanding the message to include more than just the pioneers, they now are also going to show what the effect was on the natives as we expanded west.

Keep melting snowflake......................

For all the wonder and appreciation St. Louis' Gateway Arch monument inspires, some see the message and history of the Arch as divisive.

I never said they were redesigning the arch dumbass.

I proved you wrong. First you said I had no idea what I was talking about. I FINALLY found a link with partial information and you play semantics.

The name change was initiated because of the reasons I stated. Slowly but surely our major historical figures are being whitewashed from the history books except to call them bad men with evil intentions.

You can spin anyway you like. I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG.

Dismissed

Forum List

Back