Jeb Bush's Foreign Policy Plan: More Military Spending Will 'Encourage Peace'

WASHINGTON -- Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush will lay out a vision of American foreign policy on Wednesday aimed at pushing his nascent 2016 presidential campaign out of the shadow of his father and brother, two former presidents who waged overseas wars.

"I love my father and my brother … But I am my own man –- and my views are shaped by my own thinking and own experiences," Bush will say in a speech to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, according to excerpts provided to reporters late Tuesday night.

In his first major foreign policy address, the likely 2016 Republican front-runner will make the case for increased military spending so America can "project power and enforce peaceful stability in far-off areas of the globe." He will also criticize President Barack Obama's foreign policy, calling it "inconsistent and indecisive."

"Having a military that is equal to any threat ... makes it less likely that we will need to put our men and women in uniform in harm’s way," Bush plans to tell attendees, adding that he believes "fundamentally, that weakness invites war… and strength encourages peace."

The idea that a bigger U.S. military would act as a bigger deterrent to potential foes is one that reached its apex during the Cold War, but has been repeatedly challenged in the 21st century by the rise of global terrorism and sectarian conflicts.

More: Jeb Bush's Foreign Policy Plan: More Military Spending Will 'Encourage Peace'

So, Jeb plans to ride the boogeyman to the White House. More Bush fearmongering and warmongering.

Goddam, the same exact failed policies of over a generation of establishment Republicans:

Increase military spending while cutting taxes, thus not paying for it, thus ballooning the deficit.

Intervention, entanglement, imperialism, foreign meddling. The perpetual war that will eventually destroy the US.

WASHINGTON -- Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush will lay out a vision of American foreign policy on Wednesday aimed at pushing his nascent 2016 presidential campaign out of the shadow of his father and brother, two former presidents who waged overseas wars.

"I love my father and my brother … But I am my own man –- and my views are shaped by my own thinking and own experiences," Bush will say in a speech to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, according to excerpts provided to reporters late Tuesday night.

In his first major foreign policy address, the likely 2016 Republican front-runner will make the case for increased military spending so America can "project power and enforce peaceful stability in far-off areas of the globe." He will also criticize President Barack Obama's foreign policy, calling it "inconsistent and indecisive."

"Having a military that is equal to any threat ... makes it less likely that we will need to put our men and women in uniform in harm’s way," Bush plans to tell attendees, adding that he believes "fundamentally, that weakness invites war… and strength encourages peace."

The idea that a bigger U.S. military would act as a bigger deterrent to potential foes is one that reached its apex during the Cold War, but has been repeatedly challenged in the 21st century by the rise of global terrorism and sectarian conflicts.

More: Jeb Bush's Foreign Policy Plan: More Military Spending Will 'Encourage Peace'

So, Jeb plans to ride the boogeyman to the White House. More Bush fearmongering and warmongering.
Not mongering fear OR war.
Just common sense.
Just like the bar/restaurant where all the employees carry guns and there's no fear of getting robbed.

Yeah, that really scares ISIS.
Not the bar, dembulb.
If we were to show the world that we're armed and not afraid to use it, a lot of our troublemakers would sit down and shut up.

Really? Like Bush showed them? ISIS isn't even afraid of our nukes. They aren't afraid of death.
They did sit down and shut up.
Until The Obama took over.

Kinda the opposite of what happened in Iran. Just the thought of Reagan got our hostages released

bushshoepolishcopy.jpg

'In his first major foreign policy address, the likely 2016 Republican front-runner will make the case for increased military spending so America can "project power and enforce peaceful stability in far-off areas of the globe."'

Bush is just another republican advocating for the same failed conservative foreign policy of militarism and war, which will serve only to waste taxpayers' money and American lives.

'In his first major foreign policy address, the likely 2016 Republican front-runner will make the case for increased military spending so America can "project power and enforce peaceful stability in far-off areas of the globe."'

Bush is just another republican advocating for the same failed conservative foreign policy of militarism and war, which will serve only to waste taxpayers' money and American lives.
So Obama's policies have been a success? I f that's success, I'd hate to see what you consider failure.

Y
MORE military spending will not defeat terrorism - it must be SMART military spending. President Obama is using our military forces and budget much smarter than Bush did.
you are right about one thing smarter military spending is key....but obama!!!? Terrible commander in chief for the military, he has decimated morale throughout the ranks. No one knows what is going on, all we hear is cut cut cut. No mission statement, shuts down training opportunities, no vision no planning, worked in Clinton and bush and obama era's and this has been the worst I have ever seen with morale and leadership issues, and lived through tons of cuts before and do more with less policy, explanations were given and new mission statements but with obama? Silence and floundering. He doesn't get the military, we want to do the jobs we trained for, he acts like he is doing us a favor by not deploying us, everyone was pissed off. And the administration said congrats.... Even our commander rolled his eyes and apologized. The man is clueless. He did get one thing right, getting rid of the don't tell don't ask policy....it should has. Always been a non issue, but that is the only good thing I can think of.

So Obama's policies have been a success? I f that's success, I'd hate to see what you consider failure.

Invading Iraq was a failure that nothing under Obama in the last 6 years even comes close to.

Y
MORE military spending will not defeat terrorism - it must be SMART military spending. President Obama is using our military forces and budget much smarter than Bush did.
you are right about one thing smarter military spending is key....but obama!!!? Terrible commander in chief for the military, he has decimated morale throughout the ranks. No one knows what is going on, all we hear is cut cut cut. No mission statement, shuts down training opportunities, no vision no planning, worked in Clinton and bush and obama era's and this has been the worst I have ever seen with morale and leadership issues, and lived through tons of cuts before and do more with less policy, explanations were given and new mission statements but with obama? Silence and floundering. He doesn't get the military, we want to do the jobs we trained for, he acts like he is doing us a favor by not deploying us, everyone was pissed off. And the administration said congrats.... Even our commander rolled his eyes and apologized. The man is clueless. He did get one thing right, getting rid of the don't tell don't ask policy....it should has. Always been a non issue, but that is the only good thing I can think of.
Obama thinks trhat IF we sit down with the muslim terrorist, get them all jobs they are qualified for (seasonal vegi-pickers), THEN we can all hold hands, sing kumbaya and everyone in the world will just be nice to everyone else and the whole world will be a utopia. (SIC).

Invading Iraq was a failure that nothing under Obama in the last 6 years even comes close to.
How about "turning Iraq over to isis", you know, the terrorists that hate ANYONE that doesn't belong to their form of islam?
The isis that regularly behead people that don't convert to their form of islam and burn people to death because they enjoy watching the flames? (SIC).
Or do you think that "IS A GOOD THING"?

How about "turning Iraq over to isis", you know, the terrorists that hate ANYONE that doesn't belong to their form of islam?
The isis that regularly behead people that don't convert to their form of islam and burn people to death because they enjoy watching the flames? (SIC).

The invasion destabilized Iraq and is the root cause of all of this.

How does that explain Jordan,Lebanon and Syria?

How does that explain Jordan,Lebanon and Syria?

"turning Iraq over to isis",

that's what I replied to.

Do you know that there are large numbers of ex-Baathists in ISIS?

Jeb Bungles Facts, Pronunciation in His Big National Security Speech

Trying to sound presidential, Bush instead came off like a confused former governor.

Likely presidential candidate Jeb Bush delivered a nervous, uncertain speech on national security Wednesday, full of errors and confusion.

Seeking to differentiate himself from his father and brother, both former presidents, the former governor of Florida asserted, “I am my own man.”

But the man who emerged on stage at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs did not sound well-versed in foreign policy.

Bush’s clunky, rushed delivery paled in comparison to the hazy facts in the speech and vague answers he gave during a Q&A session following his remarks.

Speaking of the extremist group based in Nigeria that has killed thousands of civilians, Bush referred to Boko Haram as “Beau-coup Haram.” Bush also referred to Iraq when he meant to refer to Iran.

Further, Bush misrepresented the strength of ISIS, saying it has some 200,000 men, which is far greater than the U.S. intelligence community’s estimates. Last week National Counterterrorism Center Director Nicholas Rasmussen pegged the fighting strength of ISIS at between 20,000 and 31,500.

“Governor Bush misspoke,” Bush aide Kristy Campbell told The Daily Beast after the speech. “He meant 20,000.”

Referring to the leader of the so-called Islamic State, Bush referred to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as “the guy that’s the supreme leader or whatever his new title is—head of the caliphate.”

Bush was also short on describing how he might combat the threat of ISIS. “Taking them out” in partnership with regional allies was about as specific as he got.

“We have to develop a strategy, that’s global, that takes them out,” Bush said. “First, the strategy, you know, needs to be restrain them, tighten the noose, and then taking them out is the strategy.”

More: Jeb Bungles Facts, Pronunciation in His Big National Security Speech - The Daily Beast

Sounds like Jeb ain't ready for prime time. Reminds me of his brother - and Sarah Palin.

If the entire U.S. budget was spent on military strength, America still wouldn't be safe from terrorists - domestic or foreign.

Did jeb vote for the war? The hilary did. You're going to vote for the hilary.....and is exactly the reason why that you have no credibility and are a complete laughingstock.

If the entire U.S. budget was spent on military strength, America still wouldn't be safe from terrorists - domestic or foreign.

Did jeb vote for the war? The hilary did. You're going to vote for the hilary.....and is exactly the reason why that you have no credibility and are a complete laughingstock.

That's why the enthusiasm for Hillary on the left is not what you might think it is.

Forum List

Back