Jeb Bush: Replace 'Monstrosity' Of Obamacare

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) denounced the Affordable Care Act and its health insurance exchanges on Saturday, calling instead for a "market-oriented" alternative in line with what many in his party support.

"We've created a monstrosity of consolidating power in Washington, D.C., suppressing wages, making it uncertain for investment. In fact, the greatest job suppressor in the so-called recovery that we've gone through is Obamacare. And I think replacing Obamacare with a market-oriented approach -- that is, where local and state input starts to drive the policies away from this top-down system -- is something I think we ought to be doing," Bush said at the Iowa Ag Summit, a forum on agriculture issues that also drew several other would-be presidential hopefuls.

Republicans have been promising an Obamacare alternative for years, without any success in coalescing around a single proposal in Congress or on the campaign trail. The latest measure, drawn up by three House Republicans -- Paul Ryan (Wis.), John Kline (Minn.) and Fred Upton (Mich.) -- promises to offer some type of temporary relief should the Supreme Court decide to strike down subsidies provided to state insurance exchanges later this summer.

In his remarks in Iowa, Bush endorsed the idea of a government-sponsored safety net for people who don't have insurance.

More: Jeb Bush: Replace Monstrosity Of Obamacare

Jeb seems all over the map on several issues - including Obamacare and healthcare in general. I wonder what he means by a "government-sponsored safety net"?

The irony of this is that the ACA is a market-oriented plan, the creation of republicans and conservatives in response to what they thought would be an expansion of Medicare by the Clinton Administration, designed to protect and enrich private insurance companies.

For most on the right their opposition to the ACA has little to do with the merits of the Act and everything to do with the party affiliation of the president who signed the Act into law.

And of course neither Bush nor anyone else on the right has anything viable to replace the ACA with – their 'plan' is to return to the bad old days of millions of Americans without access to affordable health maintenance.

Forum List

Back