I've been thinking about a new wheel gun...and here it is.

I wont buy a .223 for that very reason.
I love my Sig 5.56!!!! And if I cant find any 5.56 I can use .223 in a pinch.
The .223" Remington is the same round but it isn't mil-spec.
10-year-old surplus military ammunition will not overpower a civilian .223" under any circumstances. Gunpowder is unstable and degrades to about half its power in 10 years.

10-year-old surplus military ammunition will not overpower a civilian .223" under any circumstances. Gunpowder is unstable and degrades to about half its power in 10 years.

5.56 is a hotter round and you run the risk of damaging your .223 by firing 5.56 through it.
What makes you think you have to buy surplus rounds in 5.56?

5.56 is a hotter round and you run the risk of damaging your .223 by firing 5.56 through it.
NATO and international arms control agreements.
Gunpowder is chemically unstable. That's how it burns or explodes. But for the same reason it is perishable, with a limited lifetime due to natural degradation and internal oxidation.

Oh...the spacing is different between the .223 and the 5.56.
If you shoot a 5.56 through a .223 the actual bullet will enter the rifled section of the of the barrel which is a no no.

NATO and international arms control agreements.
Gunpowder is chemically unstable. That's how it burns or explodes. But for the same reason it is perishable, with a limited lifetime due to natural degradation and internal oxidation.

Why do you insist on claiming you have to buy 5.56 surplus?
That's just not true,I dont buy surplus ammo,I buy new loads.

If you shoot a 5.56 through a .223 the actual bullet will enter the rifled section of the of the barrel which is a no no.
That's only if you fire a steel-jacketed bullet through a soft gun barrel.
Stick with the copper jackets if you don't want to ruin your gun.
Peacenik suppliers are awarded military contracts from time to time. It happens. Why do you think it's called surplus?

Peacenik suppliers are awarded military contracts from time to time. It happens. Why do you think it's called surplus?

WTF are you talking about?
Steel jacketed ammo? Maybe you're referring to steel casings which I dont use and have never even seen in the 5.56 or the .223.
You're in over your head here.

No,the reason why,as I've already stated is the chamber of the .223 is shorter than the 5.56 which puts the 5.56 round to deep into the chamber of the .223 which causes problems with over pressure.

The 10mm or .41"--.44"--.45" pistols are too big for me. That large a caliber knocks my shoulder out of joint and gives me a pain in the neck. A .357" or 9mm would be the maximum caliber handgun I could shoot comfortably.

Some of the "gun safety" and self-defense courses teach you to hold the pistol with both hands, elbows locked, but you need to keep your elbows loose to cushion the recoil shock.

It is necessary to practice shooting a pistol one-handed in either single-action or double-action mode from a variety of positions without too much unwanted political or law enforcement company at the range.
If you want to practice shooting one-handed....get a 45 pistol that shoots cowboy loads or a 22. Then you can practice a bit of quickdraw. I have a couple of them along with a couple of holsters. When it comes to firing a semi-auto or a big revolver...I always use both hands. One to hold on the grip...the other to stabilize my wrist. I stand semi-sideways with my left foot forward and my trigger hand crossing my chest. My left hand is just there to stabilize my wrist and keep me on front sight.

It'll shoot either 10mm or .40 S&W.
We're fudging on the nomenclature again. It's the same thing as the AR-15 or M-16 rifle, which shoots either .223" Remington or 5.56mm NATO ammunition.

Not all .223's can shoot the .556.
The difference between the two is the neck spacing and the .556 is a little hotter. If you buy a .223 it can only shoot .223.
If you buy a .556 rifle it'll shoot either one.

Which is why I bought an M&P15 in 5.56 today...

I love my Sig 5.56!!!! And if I cant find any 5.56 I can use .223 in a pinch.View attachment 415676

Time for me to accessorize...

The first difference is the higher pressure level of the 5.56 NATO cartridge which runs at approximately 58,000 psi. A 223 Remington is loaded to approximately 55,000 psi. The second and most important difference between the two is the fact that a 5.56 NATO chamber has a . 125” longer throat.

If you want to practice shooting one-handed....get a 45 pistol that shoots cowboy loads.
Can't. Guns are banned, and I'm under 24×7 police supervision for the rest of my life as an adjudicated mental defective.
They have plenty of pistols, there are more of them thatn there are of me, and they're baiting and teasing, trying to work up an opportunity to shoot and kill me anytime day or night in the line of duty whenever they can get away with it.

I've been there before. They have kids, and they want their kids safe from people like me.

They're pressing charges in court that have gotten thrown out for sheer stupidity, and I don't want to end up like the Fairbanks Four --- win a $1,000,000 lawsuit for a wrongful conviction, but no restoration of gun rights.

The D.A. is full of shit downtown all over again.

It'll shoot either 10mm or .40 S&W.
We're fudging on the nomenclature again. It's the same thing as the AR-15 or M-16 rifle, which shoots either .223" Remington or 5.56mm NATO ammunition.

Not all .223's can shoot the .556.
The difference between the two is the neck spacing and the .556 is a little hotter. If you buy a .223 it can only shoot .223.
If you buy a .556 rifle it'll shoot either one.

Which is why I bought an M&P15 in 5.56 today...

I love my Sig 5.56!!!! And if I cant find any 5.56 I can use .223 in a pinch.View attachment 415676

Time for me to accessorize...

The Wife calls my guns Man Barbies. :auiqs.jpg:

The first difference is the higher pressure level of the 5.56 NATO cartridge which runs at approximately 58,000 psi.
Drop that figure in half and call it 39,000 psi for 10-year-old ammo if you can't load your own. You're putting on the driving range with a stupid golf club and I don't play your game, because you and your kind have revoked my rights to work, earn, and keep my own money and make my own decisions with my own belongings time and time again.

The first difference is the higher pressure level of the 5.56 NATO cartridge which runs at approximately 58,000 psi.
Drop that figure in half and call it 39,000 psi for 10-year-old ammo if you can't load your own. You're putting on the driving range with a stupid golf club and I don't play your game, because you and your kind have revoked my rights to work, earn, and keep my own money and make my own decisions with my own belongings time and time again.

Again....who buys ten year old ammo?
When I walk into my local Academy Sports and Outdoors I can assure you they are NOT selling surplus NATO ammo.

Again....who buys ten year old ammo?
When I walk into my local Academy Sports and Outdoors I can assure you they are NOT selling surplus NATO ammo.
It's shelf product subject to a ten year prison sentence in a jurisdiction of interstate or foreign commerce. It's not yours even if you pay the full asking price and walk out the door with the receipt.

10mm has about the same power as a .357
how much?
357 has higher velocity and more power

Did a lot of research before making my choice.
At first I was going to go with the .357 but after a shitload of research decided on the 10mm.
Here's why:

The 10mm is actually faster than the .357 and has a larger slug and dumps all of that energy into the target where the .357 has overpenetration.

And you have to take into account I'll be shooting from a revolver with a 6.5 barrel,not a semi auto with a shorter barrel.

Last edited:
All and all both rounds are pretty damn close.
One dumps a bit more energy into the target while the other can penetrate a bit more due to its smaller diameter.
The 10mm expands to .700 the .357 expands to .400.

Forum List

Back