It’s Time to Unplug the Hype Over Electric Vehicles

Yes, when the grid has gone down it was nice having rudimentary electricity generation. Later on I built a water wheel to augment the solar, but it rapidly surpassed the electricity I got from the solar system.
how big is your wheel and what do you run it on??

take a really big generator to surpass a big solar system with batteries,,

how big is your wheel and what do you run it on??

take a really big generator to surpass a big solar system with batteries,,

My wheel is six feet, and I diverted a creek on my property, and you are wrong. The water wheel gives consistent power all of the time.

I had it freeze on me once. Took two hours to get it running again.

you did when you said daytime usage,, if you had batteries it would work at night too,,

It does, but it can only power the lights. Not the appliances. I gave the daytime output because that is the best, obviously.

Right on.

Without the battery, EVs are cheap and simple.

Yes, pure engineering beauty and simplicity if not for those nasty batteries.

MUCH so. An ICE engine is a cacophony of kludges, fixes, and subsystems to FORCE it into smooth, efficient operation.

Wouldn't a better solution be to just bring the power to the car like a streetcar or a subway? That is actually a century-old technology which not only is reachable, but eliminates all need for big batteries and charging. An EV car might then only need a small battery like now just to power it short distances into the garage or parking area and so forth.
Running a third rail on every road in the country would be a bit expensive don;t you think?

Btw....dOy.....

I saw this and damn near shit my shorts from laughing so hard....

img_2_1647343257454.jpg

Running a third rail on every road in the country would be a bit expensive don;t you think?

You wouldn't need them on side and local roads just main roads. And if you think that is expensive, have any idea the cost of revamping our grid to power each vehicle independently? That third rail would also free EVs of their heaviest and most expensive cargo making them cheaper, too.

You wouldn't need them on side and local roads just main roads. And if you think that is expensive, have any idea the cost of revamping our grid to power each vehicle independently? That third rail would also free EVs of their heaviest and most expensive cargo making them cheaper, too.
You don;t need to revamp the grid since most people will be able to charge their cars at home

Why do charging stations have to cost the public anything?

We don;t pay to build gas stations.

You don;t need to revamp the grid since most people will be able to charge their cars at home
EXCUSE ME? How the hell do you think that all of this additional energy is going to get generated and transmitted to your house w/o major revamping of the grid? Do you really think the current grid is designed with twice the headroom as the present load to accommodate millions of cars all sucking in high amperage current?

Why do charging stations have to cost the public anything?
Because the government is pushing this and everything the government does costs you money. Most people will not be able to afford an EV much less the upgrades to their homes to accommodate them, then there is the matter of all the folks who don't have a garage or a home and park on the street, etc.

EXCUSE ME? How the hell do you think that all of this additional energy is going to get generated and transmitted to your house w/o major revamping of the grid? Do you really think the current grid is designed with twice the headroom as the present load to accommodate millions of cars all sucking in high amperage current?

Because the government is pushing this and everything the government does costs you money. Most people will not be able to afford an EV much less the upgrades to their homes to acciomodate them, then there is thye matter of all the folks who don't have a garage or a home and park on the street, etc.

He doesn't know that PHASE 2 power is needed to supply that much power which homes is doesn't have at all.

Daelim Belefic

What is the Difference Between 1 Phase 2 Phase and 3 Phase Power?

Definition of 1 Phase 2 Phase and 3 Phase Power​

Three-phase power:
It is composed of three phase wires.
Mutual voltage: 380V.
Application: Three-phase motor

Two-phase electricity:
It consists of two-phase wires.
Mutual voltage: 380V.
Application: AC welding machine

Single-phase electricity:
It is composed of a phase wire and a neutral wire.
Voltage: 220V
Application: Household appliances.

He doesn't know that PHASE 2 power is needed to supply that much power which homes is doesn't have at all.

Most homes around here are wired with 240V split phase and 20-30 amp service. That should be enough to charge an EV, especially as any AC power will have to converted to DC anyway, I would think.

Forum List

Back