It’s the sun and it’s coming for us

When the sun hits Earth with a big solar flare and CME, the electrical grid could be irreparable damaged. Experts think this could be coming in our life time. Sending mankind back to a pre-electrical age, resulting in mass death.

This has been known for a long time but until recently, the msm hasn’t reported it.

Solar Cycle 25 is Exceeding Predictions and Showing Why We Need the GDC Mission

With more activity comes an increase in space weather events including solar flares and solar eruptions, which can impact radio communications, electric power grids, and navigation signals, as well as pose risks to spacecraft and astronauts. We have an increasing dependence on space-based technology and ground-based infrastructure that are susceptible to the dynamic nature of space.
Solar Cycle 25

Solar eruptions, flares could impact Earth, NASA says

Solar eruptions, flares could impact Earth, NASA says
LOL I posted a thread on the possibility of a Carrington Event some time ago, and all you dumb fucks made fun of it. Yes, such an event is a definite possibility. However, while it's effects would be severe, it would not be the end of the world, and I expect that we would muddle through it. But all of you silly asses that are hoping for Armageddon believing that somehow your silly beliefs would allow you to profit will find that is simply another one of your fantasies.

LOL I posted a thread on the possibility of a Carrington Event some time ago, and all you dumb fucks made fun of it. Yes, such an event is a definite possibility. However, while it's effects would be severe, it would not be the end of the world, and I expect that we would muddle through it. But all of you silly asses that are hoping for Armageddon believing that somehow your silly beliefs would allow you to profit will find that is simply another one of your fantasies.
Faggot sez whut?

Damn! You crazy.

Could you post the link to your post?

Not likely. We have been working at this possibility for awhile. The department of energy has been amassing a stockpile of emergency transformers, they have developed some devices that basically can suck electricity off the grid in such an event to keep it from collapsing (which will come in handy as we add more uncontrolled green energy sources to the grid), etc. We would take the hit and then get back on line pretty quick.....big blue cities first of course because that is where all the points of accounting are.
I have zero faith in any government agencies "plans"

It’s merely a matter of time. The earth will be hit with a big solar flare and cme. Then we’ll find out how the electrical grid responds.

Some say this storm from 2012 would have done great damage, had it hit earth.

Near Miss: The Solar Superstorm of July 2012​

July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.
splash
A ScienceCast video recounts the near-miss of a solar superstorm in July 2012. Play it
Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.

"If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces," says Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado.

A similar storm today could have a catastrophic effect. According to a study by the National Academy of Sciences, the total economic impact could exceed $2 trillion or 20 times greater than the costs of a Hurricane Katrina. Multi-ton transformers damaged by such a storm might take years to repair.

"In my view the July 2012 storm was in all respects at least as strong as the 1859 Carrington event," says Baker. "The only difference is, it missed."

In February 2014, physicist Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in Space Weather entitled "On the probability of occurrence of extreme space weather events." In it, he analyzed records of solar storms going back 50+ years. By extrapolating the frequency of ordinary storms to the extreme, he calculated the odds that a Carrington-class storm would hit Earth in the next ten years.

The answer: 12%.

In their Dec. 2013 paper, Baker et al. estimated Dst for the July 2012 storm. "If that CME had hit Earth, the resulting geomagnetic storm would have registered a Dst of -1200, comparable to the Carrington Event and twice as bad as the March 1989 Quebec blackout."
Near Miss: The Solar Superstorm of July 2012 | Science Mission Directorate

It’s merely a matter of time. The earth will be hit with a big solar flare and cme. Then we’ll find out how the electrical grid responds.

Some say this storm from 2012 would have done great damage, had it hit earth.

Near Miss: The Solar Superstorm of July 2012​

July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.
splash
A ScienceCast video recounts the near-miss of a solar superstorm in July 2012. Play it
Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.

"If it had hit, we would still be picking up the pieces," says Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado.

A similar storm today could have a catastrophic effect. According to a study by the National Academy of Sciences, the total economic impact could exceed $2 trillion or 20 times greater than the costs of a Hurricane Katrina. Multi-ton transformers damaged by such a storm might take years to repair.

"In my view the July 2012 storm was in all respects at least as strong as the 1859 Carrington event," says Baker. "The only difference is, it missed."

In February 2014, physicist Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in Space Weather entitled "On the probability of occurrence of extreme space weather events." In it, he analyzed records of solar storms going back 50+ years. By extrapolating the frequency of ordinary storms to the extreme, he calculated the odds that a Carrington-class storm would hit Earth in the next ten years.

The answer: 12%.

In their Dec. 2013 paper, Baker et al. estimated Dst for the July 2012 storm. "If that CME had hit Earth, the resulting geomagnetic storm would have registered a Dst of -1200, comparable to the Carrington Event and twice as bad as the March 1989 Quebec blackout."
Near Miss: The Solar Superstorm of July 2012 | Science Mission Directorate

Well ... it's been ten years ... the probability of a big CME turns out to have been ZERO % ... no surprise there ... fear-mongering at it's ugliest ... do these people really think the readers are this stupid ... this insults the intelligence ... "physicist Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in Space Weather" ... no link? ... let's get this straight ... Mr Riley looked at the past 50 years of data and concluded a 1 in 8 chance for a Big CME ... that's means he found 6 CMEs that hit Earth in those fifty years ... 12% ... and you believe him? ... [shakes head] ...

The next violation of common sense is damaged caused ... ships at sea aren't effected because they're grounded through the ocean water ... people, pets, homes, businesses, schools and hospitals are also grounded, so no effect ... what wasn't grounded in 1854?, telegraph wires ... and for the most part, these wires picked up enough charge to run without the operators spining the rheostats ... only in a few places were there fires or damage ... the system never went down ... operators were able to quickly install spare equipment ...

That was then and this is now ... today we have far more overhead wires and we have come to depend on these wires more than 170 years ago ... at least some of us have ... a good 20% of us don't even have an electric grid and no electricity in our homes or businesses ... 50% of us have such piss-poor service that we can't rely on the grid to begin with ... another 20% who have only recently received such modern invention and have yet to come to depend on the grid ...

That leaves the 10% in Anglo-America and Western Europe who would suffer ... [shrugs shoulders] ... hardly the existential threat some imagine this will be ... and with the 24 hour warning, really only Texas is stupid enough to not open their breakers and set everything to Earth ground ...

Well ... it's been ten years ... the probability of a big CME turns out to have been ZERO % ... no surprise there ... fear-mongering at it's ugliest ... do these people really think the readers are this stupid ... this insults the intelligence ... "physicist Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in Space Weather" ... no link? ... let's get this straight ... Mr Riley looked at the past 50 years of data and concluded a 1 in 8 chance for a Big CME ... that's means he found 6 CMEs that hit Earth in those fifty years ... 12% ... and you believe him? ... [shakes head] ...

The next violation of common sense is damaged caused ... ships at sea aren't effected because they're grounded through the ocean water ... people, pets, homes, businesses, schools and hospitals are also grounded, so no effect ... what wasn't grounded in 1854?, telegraph wires ... and for the most part, these wires picked up enough charge to run without the operators spining the rheostats ... only in a few places were there fires or damage ... the system never went down ... operators were able to quickly install spare equipment ...

That was then and this is now ... today we have far more overhead wires and we have come to depend on these wires more than 170 years ago ... at least some of us have ... a good 20% of us don't even have an electric grid and no electricity in our homes or businesses ... 50% of us have such piss-poor service that we can't rely on the grid to begin with ... another 20% who have only recently received such modern invention and have yet to come to depend on the grid ...

That leaves the 10% in Anglo-America and Western Europe who would suffer ... [shrugs shoulders] ... hardly the existential threat some imagine this will be ... and with the 24 hour warning, really only Texas is stupid enough to not open their breakers and set everything to Earth ground ...
It’s merely a matter of time.

It’s well known and accepted by experts everywhere, its just a matter of time.

Let's be clear .... you think there has been a catastrophic civilization-ending CME in the past 60 years? ... or are you saying there could be one in the next 60 years? ... pay attention to the difference between "has been" and "could be" ... they mean different things ...

Either way, your link is crazy wrong ... read the paper and give us a rough idea of the math they used ...

Let's be clear .... you think there has been a catastrophic civilization-ending CME in the past 60 years? ... or are you saying there could be one in the next 60 years? ... pay attention to the difference between "has been" and "could be" ... they mean different things ...

Either way, your link is crazy wrong ... read the paper and give us a rough idea of the math they used ...
Where do you get this? Not from anything I’ve posted. Read the thread before jumping to stupid conclusions.

Thank God we aren't doing anything to harden the grid. How stupid would that be
Lol, that would cost money. That would hurt the bottom line. Profits above all. Ya things like burying lines and putting brass mesh cages around important infrastructure would make to much sense. Ah, piss on it. The whole damn world is buried in their phone. Maybe generations after ward would actually pay attention to the person they were actually with.

Your post #46 ... this is your defense of the claims you made there? ... I said your link was wrong, not you, your link ... there's a difference ...

Experts believe a big one is coming and it could be devastating. I tend to believe them since there have been many in the past.

I have zero faith in any government agencies "plans"

Fair enough. I know our local municipal utilities normally keeps an inventory of extra things on hand as I recall it being mentioned in an article when the great telephone pole shortage happened. The article said they had lots of extra pole transformers but were running low on extra poles. It is part of being in the south where we get whacked by hurricanes and thunderstorms and the regular litany of falling trees and reckless drivers. They were down to having to pull poles from other places if they needed ones somewhere more critical because of the backorders during covid.

Experts believe a big one is coming and it could be devastating. I tend to believe them since there have been many in the past.

Well ... you're reading the wrong material if you want facts ... or do you want your silly beliefs? ... this is your OP, I shouldn't be the one telling you what you mean ...

You never did answer my question about your first link ... it has NOTHING to do with CMEs ... why did the language in the bill confuse you so much? ... you seem to have not read your other link, because you are incapable discussing it ...

Why are you bothering? ...

Well ... you're reading the wrong material if you want facts ... or do you want your silly beliefs? ... this is your OP, I shouldn't be the one telling you what you mean ...

You never did answer my question about your first link ... it has NOTHING to do with CMEs ... why did the language in the bill confuse you so much? ... you seem to have not read your other link, because you are incapable discussing it ...

Why are you bothering? ...
You think CMEs won’t do damage. Proof you’re uninformed.

Forum List

Back