It's Official--Romney and Ryan for 2012!!!

What do you think of Paul Ryan as the Vice President pick?

• A good choice.

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • I’m disappointed but will support the ticket.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A poor choice.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Ryan is a good man but will make it more difficult for Romney to win.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Barack Obama just won the election.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
Actually I am encouraged because every one of our more leftists friends here are declaring Ryan a terrible choice, a disaster, a final nail in Romney's coffin, etc. etc. etc.

Usually that kind of reaction means that they see him as a real threat.

They were able to pretty well successfully destroy Sarah Palin who simply didn't have enough credentials accumulated to fight them off.

I rather expect Ryan is going to be more difficult to demonize, and will be better at setting the record straight and defending himself.

This is what the right wing said about Bachman, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum. You remember those guys right? The liberals were supposedly so "scared" of those guys and everytime you said that; they would implode. It was obvious to most it was going to happen. The sad thing is that the myopic supporters of these candidates couldn't see the innate shortcomings and just how bad they were at campaigning in Perry's case.

Ryan doesn't give me cause for pause in the least. I say this for the obvious medicare reform he wants to enact. The truth is that most seniors are happy with their medicare and happy that the President is closing the Part D "donut hole." In other ways, the qualification question will come up eventually. He didn't run for President so obviously he doesn't think he's ready to assume the office; has served 13 innocuous years as a congressman from the Wisconsin 1st district; not exactly Broadway or Sunset. His resume is thin and it points to the Governor's judgment that this guy is "ready on day one" to take over. If anyone were to say that they'd feel comfortable with a Ryan Presidency at this stage, you'll get a howling laugh from most of the public.

This was a terrible pick from the choices that Romney had. Choices that would have delivered the same demographic without the baggage that will sink the Governor's aspirations for winning Florida. Arizona may be back on the table.

The Governor could have done worse, however. Ryan is a superior pick to Sarah Palin.

My only regret is that this isn't 2016. That would ensure a 12th year of the Oval being center-left.

Horrible pick, Mitt just lost independents and bored most of his base to death. The only people that like this are the same people that would have been all "FUCK YEAH!!!" even if he picked Hillary Clinton. Seriously, Paul has to work major damage control out the gate, a VP candidate that has to explain himself after way to many people didn’t care about his reasoning the first 50 times.

Your situation is a bad one without question......

But Obamacare basically doesn't exist anymore after the USSC ruling. What happens if your insurance tells you you've reached your limit and you're no longer covered?

At this point there are no contingency plans from either the Dems or the Pubs that I'm aware of that would deal directly with your pre-existing problem.

I assume you trusted Obama but his healthcare plan has failed in major ways. So you need to ask yourself why you don't trust Romney and why you would be willing to stick with the guy who failed. And be honest with yourself.

I have seen the congress fail us with anything that Obama wanted to pass. Their whole focus was on getting Obama out and could cares less for the people who pay them.
Your 71 and have lived through the Vietnam war and Nixon.. I am sorry to say but Romney reminds me of Nixon big time and I do feel if he gets elected ( not only will pre-existing people be hurt badly ) we are going to have to not only focus on zillionair corruption but a failed economy as well. I do not trust him at all until he wants to really show us who he is, way way too sneaky like Nixon.

Horrible pick, Mitt just lost independents and bored most of his base to death. The only people that like this are the same people that would have been all "**** YEAH!!!" even if he picked Hillary Clinton. Seriously, Paul has to work major damage control out the gate, a VP candidate that has to explain himself after way to many people didn’t care about his reasoning the first 50 times.
{edited for clean zone compliance.}

Completely wrong.

Color me not surprised at all.

Last edited:
This entire move reeks of bad planning and terrible judgement. Ryan does not help this campaign at all and signals that they have officially abadoned any attempt to gain broad support and instead are trying to get the base energized but announcing it this early leaves plenty of time for the base to cool back down and the media time to correctly paint this guy as the one who leads the charge to shift the tax burden sharply downward while abandoning the poor and elderly.

I hope so but as a 70 year old on medicare I am concerned about his remark this morning about taking it away.; As a congressman he has the typical govt sweetheart deal for he and his family but wants to strip me of the only thing I have for medical care. I need details.

I just went from sitting out the election to voting for Obama. I'm 65 and don't care for the youngster's plan.

I hope so but as a 70 year old on medicare I am concerned about his remark this morning about taking it away.; As a congressman he has the typical govt sweetheart deal for he and his family but wants to strip me of the only thing I have for medical care. I need details.

I just went from sitting out the election to voting for Obama. I'm 65 and don't care for the youngster's plan.

oh well

Actually I am encouraged because every one of our more leftists friends here are declaring Ryan a terrible choice, a disaster, a final nail in Romney's coffin, etc. etc. etc.

Usually that kind of reaction means that they see him as a real threat.

They were able to pretty well successfully destroy Sarah Palin who simply didn't have enough credentials accumulated to fight them off.

I rather expect Ryan is going to be more difficult to demonize, and will be better at setting the record straight and defending himself.

I hope you are right.

I've read that the DNC is publicly acting excited, but they're actually scared of the fact of having to face Ryan in the Presidential race.

I can say one thing.. I was called a racist by a moveon.org activist today for asking a black guy if he supported abortion.. Haha, what nerve.. My future wife is half-black..

There were also a LOT of black folks at the Romney event.. What an encouraging sign! One of the guys held a Romney sign across from the protestors and you could tell they didn't like it!

Last edited:
His plan to convert Medicare to a voucher system.

Yes, that is a controversial concept that the Democrats and Obama will no doubt try to demonize as much as possible.

So it all boils down to whether likely voters understand that if we don't fix that program, it will continue to swallow more and more of the nation's resources and be more and more of a drag on the economy. . . .or. . . .

They will vote for the status quo out of fear.

We are ready for real hope and change and Romney/Ryan's competence in being able to sell it, or we aren't. It all comes down to that.

They do not have to try to demonize what is seen as a demon by many if not most. The "we" you speak of that is important is a small subset of voters in an all important state that is so equally divided that small subsets are important. The senior citizens in Florida will need equal convincing. Ryan's only hope is that they break out large-type actuarial tables cross referenced to the changes he wishes to make and have faith that they keep listening after the "no" answer to "Will we still get our checks?"

I like to think we senior citizens are also capable of rational thought and respond to truth and reason and good information. Unfortunately only some of us participate on boards like this or dig for our own education on any given issue. The rest depend on the newspapers and television for their information.

So yes, because the Obama supporters and their surrogate mainstream media will so distort the truth, it is going to take great skill on the part of Romney and Ryan to make the truth understandable. And they'll probably have to buy the space and time to get it out there as we no longer have an honorable press who can be trusted to tell the truth about much of anything.

Two questions you can expect to hear repeated over and over for the next three months:

Where's your plan, Mr. President?

Where's your budget, Mr. President?

Isn't The ONE the FIRST President in HISTORY to have a budget proposed which was not only defeated in both houses of Congress, but which received not even ONE "yes" vote?

He is quoted as saying that those collection Medicare and SS should stay on it, also those close to being on either should remain untouched. Those who are younger is where he wants to start the fix... And the system does need a fix.....

Two questions you can expect to hear repeated over and over for the next three months:

Isn't The ONE the FIRST President in HISTORY to have a budget proposed which was not only defeated in both houses of Congress, but which received not even ONE "yes" vote?

I seem to recall somewhere back in the dim recesses of my memory that Bill Clinton's first budget, also submitted to a Democratically controlled Congress, also was universaly DOA. But at least he stayed on the job and did it for the next seven years. It seems our current Fearless Leader just quits or changes the subject if things don't go his way.

I was actually hoping for Rubio, but I can live with Ryan....

Same here Ollie. Rubio was my first choice. But after reading up on Ryan and intentionally hearing what he had to say this morning, and also thinking through the common sense values of what he can bring to the table, I am encourged.

I seem to recall somewhere back in the dim recesses of my memory that Bill Clinton's first budget, also submitted to a Democratically controlled Congress, also was universaly DOA. But at least he stayed on the job and did it for the next seven years. It seems our current Fearless Leader just quits or changes the subject if things don't go his way.

I don't think Pres. Clinton though received ZERO votes in the House AND zero votes in the Senate.

Pres. Obama's budget proposal did suffer that ignominious fate.

the tea party is not the people robmoney needed to win this.

The tea party make it impossible for the republicans to win elections

over 60 congressman and 6 senators says different, that was just 20 months ago, hello.

and then your tea party got known by its real intentions.

The debt debacle comes to mind.

Your party is done this election

Yes, Obama's $5.3 trillion addition to the national debt, with unemployment still higher and number of jobs still lower, since he took office truly is a debacle.

Forum List

Back