It's Finally Warm Enough Here to Start Trimming the Trees and Bushes

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
I have a few bushes that need trimming every year but I really don't know what I'm doing so I end up just "hacking" them down to size.

One thing I've learned is that you can't really kill arose bush. I got sick of this one rose bush a few years ago and just hacked it down to almost ground level and you know what? A few months later it had grown back and was looking good!

A few days ago I had a Tree Trimming Company come and haul away a huge branch that fell off one of my trees last fall and cut out an invasive tree that was growing straight up through an old bush in my back yard. I'd just get rid of the bush but apparently it's like a hundred years old and the Wife wants it to stay.

And finally today I have to do the annual maintenance on both of my mowers, so that should be "fun". THEN after all that I get to reorganize and clean up the garage that doubles as my "Man Cave".

My Dad said a long time ago that he wished he didn't have to sleep, that way he could get more things done. Now I know what he means! :lol:

Cold again in the southern Mid-Atlantic, 30's at night and 50's and windy during the day. It's almost May and I hear the Big Sky country is still getting snow.

Did my annual weed spraying today. Here in Arizona, you really have to do it about now, because it is too damn hot to do ANYTHING outside for the next 6 months.

Eh, give and take.

Cold again in the southern Mid-Atlantic, 30's at night and 50's and windy during the day. It's almost May and I hear the Big Sky country is still getting snow.

Had on my air conditioner in the car today. 96 degree's on the highway today. Whew.

I have a few bushes that need trimming every year but I really don't know what I'm doing so I end up just "hacking" them down to size.

One thing I've learned is that you can't really kill arose bush. I got sick of this one rose bush a few years ago and just hacked it down to almost ground level and you know what? A few months later it had grown back and was looking good!

A few days ago I had a Tree Trimming Company come and haul away a huge branch that fell off one of my trees last fall and cut out an invasive tree that was growing straight up through an old bush in my back yard. I'd just get rid of the bush but apparently it's like a hundred years old and the Wife wants it to stay.

And finally today I have to do the annual maintenance on both of my mowers, so that should be "fun". THEN after all that I get to reorganize and clean up the garage that doubles as my "Man Cave".

My Dad said a long time ago that he wished he didn't have to sleep, that way he could get more things done. Now I know what he means! :lol:

Pruning is an art. You really should check it out before you start. Would give a much nicer result. I learned from a woman I used to work with. Back when we grew grapes, we had the plumpest and the best. It was all due to my pruning know how. And shrubs need more than just a 'hair cut' to make them look good.

If you don't know how to prune different things....google it. All things are different in how & when to do it. Roses are generally cut back to 12-18" before they start to get new growth.

If you don't know how to prune different things....google it. All things are different in how & when to do it. Roses are generally cut back to 12-18" before they start to get new growth.

When you prune things like hollies, you need to carefully cut out some of the middle so they will be lush from the inside out. That takes some know how to keep from messing up the outside shape of the bush. Just going around the edges gives you a shell of a bush. I had hollies in my yard from the 1960s until I moved here. Here I have things you don't have to prune. Doing it right is a lot of work and you can't do it all with an electric trimmer.

We've got a small rose bush that was here when we moved in. Very pretty of course, but the blooms have very little fragrance. The neighbor's also have a few bushes and those blooms are out of this world fragrant. I'm going to ask if we can somehow pinch a start or two. :)

Forum List

Back