It Could Have Been Worse: The First 9/11 Terror

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Imagine if the events of 9/11/2001 had included bombing the White House, killing the president and imposing a viscous military dictatorship responsible for "disappearing" hundreds of thousands of US citizens?

"I am, of course, referring to what in Latin America is often called 'the first 9/11': September 11, 1973, when the U.S. succeeded in its intensive efforts to overthrow the democratic government of Salvador Allende in Chile with a military coup that placed General Pinochet’s brutal regime in office.

"The goal, in the words of the Nixon administration, was to kill the 'virus' that might encourage all those 'foreigners [who] are out to screw us' to take over their own resources and in other ways to pursue an intolerable policy of independent development.

"In the background was the conclusion of the National Security Council that, if the US could not control Latin America, it could not expect 'to achieve a successful order elsewhere in the world.

The US can't control the "foreigners (who) are out to screw us" out of our share of their natural resources without bringing the virus we helped inflict on Chile home in ways that make the terror of 9/11/2001 look like Henry Kissinger's assessment of Salvador Allende's suicide: "It was 'nothing of very great consequence.'"

9/11 and the Imperial Mentality | Common Dreams

While the terror attacks of 9/11/2001 also qualify as a known truth, there's a "myth" of Al-Qa'ida that many Americans still place firmly in the conspiracy theory category:

"What was the most devastating attack by al-Qa'ida in the past few months?

"Despite all the pious talk this weekend about combating 'terrorism', few will have heard of it. It happened on August 15th when bombers killed 63 people in 17 cities up and down Iraq in the space of a few hours.

"Such carnage is ignored because the US and Britain see al-Qa'ida only in relation to themselves, and because all the victims were Iraqis.

"The real motives of al-Qa'ida, often rooted in local struggles between Palestinians and Israelis or Sunni and Shia, are disregarded and replaced by fantasies about clashing civilizations."

The linkage of 9/11 and Israel's occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, for one example, needs to make the leap from conspiracy theory to known truth, imho. Since there are more eyes on the Conspiracy Theories Forum today than any other, I decided to post it here.

Al-Qa'ida, and the Myth Behind the War on Terrorism | Common Dreams

Why is this in conspiracy theory? This is a known truth.

well you got to remember,the mods around here consider FACTS to be conspiracy theories so no sense in him posting it there just to watch it get moved here.
Normally I would have posted this on "Politics", but today there appear to be more people watching Conspiracy Theories. I'm also sure this thread would have eventually found its way to "conspiracy" status.

The posters on this thread either have red rep or have their rep turned off. Interesting. Pause..............................waiting for the shit obsessed Rimjob to post..................

While we're waiting....1,0...

What rep do you give Noam Chomsky?

"A number of analysts have observed that although bin Laden was finally killed, he won some major successes in his war against the U.S.

"'He repeatedly asserted that the only way to drive the U.S. from the Muslim world and defeat its satraps was by drawing Americans into a series of small but expensive wars that would ultimately bankrupt them,' Eric Margolis writes. "'Bleeding the U.S.,' in his(Osama's) words.'

"'The United States, first under George W. Bush and then Barack Obama, rushed right into bin Laden’s trap... Grotesquely overblown military outlays and debt addiction... may be the most pernicious legacy of the man who thought he could defeat the United States--'”

"(P)articularly when the debt is being cynically exploited by the far right, with the collusion of the Democrat establishment, to undermine what remains of social programs, public education, unions, and, in general, remaining barriers to corporate tyranny."

I have TWO of Chomsky's books. Opportunist piece of shit after reading them is my opinion. Another asshole that would NEVER survive outside the so-called academic world.:lol::lol:

I have TWO of Chomsky's books. Opportunist piece of shit after reading them is my opinion. Another asshole that would NEVER survive outside the so-called academic world.:lol::lol:
Is the 8th most widely quoted author of all time being opportunistic or accurate when he agrees with the claim that the US has been bin Laden's "only indispensable ally" over the last ten years?

"The senior CIA analyst responsible for tracking Osama bin Laden from 1996, Michael Scheuer, wrote shortly after that 'bin Laden has been precise in telling America the reasons he is waging war on us.

"'[He] is out to drastically alter U.S. and Western policies toward the Islamic world,' and largely succeeded: 'U.S. forces and policies are completing the radicalization of the Islamic world, something Osama bin Laden has been trying to do with substantial but incomplete success since the early 1990s.

"'As a result, I think it is fair to conclude that the United States of America remains bin Laden’s only indispensable ally."'

"And arguably remains so, even after his death."

Forum List

Back