Israel's Documented Story

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
The history of the Jews in Iraq on the whole appear to be a sad one. If there are any Jews left in Iraq, there number must be very, very small.

Israel's Documented Story

The English-language blog of the Israel State Archives (ISA)

Monday, January 27, 2014

45 Years Since the Public Execution of 9 Jews in Baghdad
Today marks 45 years since nine Iraqi Jews were hanged in Baghdad's central square. The murdered Jews were: Ezra Naji Zilkha, Fuad Gabay, Yakub Gorji Namordi, Daud Haskil Barukh Dalal, Daud Ghali, Haskil Saleh Haskil, Sabah Hayim, Naim Khaduri, and Charles Rafael Horesh. Their hanging was a nadir in the persecution of Iraqi Jews, but persecutions did not end with them, and in August 1969 two more Jews were hanged, and scores more were arrested and never seen again, presumed murdered. Today, few if any Jews remain in Iraq – remnants of an illustrious Jewish community that numbered more than 150,000 members in the middle of the 20th century.

The general background of the persecution of the Jews in Arab countries is intertwined with the creation of the state of Israel and Israel's war of Independence in 1948-9. Until the 20th century, Jews in Arab countries were usually treated as inferiors, in accordance with Laws of the Khalif Omar from the 7th century. The encroachment of Western powers to the Middle East brought with it an improvement in the status of the Jews. The resulting growing conflict between Jews and Arabs in Israel/Palestine from the 1920's onwards soon began to influence the condition of Jews in Arab countries. In July 1941, just after the British defeated the Nazi-influenced Iraqi government, an Arab mob (with many soldiers and policemen in its ranks) committed the "Farhud" – a pogrom against the Jews of Baghdad. Almost 200 Jews were murdered in this atrocity.

Continue reading at:
Israel's Documented Story: 45 Years Since the Public Execution of 9 Jews in Baghdad

During these centuries under Muslim rule, the Jewish Community had it’s ups and downs. By World War I, they accounted for one third of Baghdad’s population. In 1922, the British recieved a mandate over Iraq and began transforming it into a modern nation-state.

Iraq became an independent state in 1932. Throughout this period, the authorities drew heavily on the talents of the mall well-educated Jews for their ties outside the country and proficiency in foreign languages. Iraq’s first minister of finance, Yehezkel Sasson, was a Jew. These Jewish communities played a vital role in the development of judicial and postal systems.

In the 1936 Iraq Directory, the “Israelite community” is listed among the various other Iraqi communities, such as Arabs, Kirds, Turkmen, Muslims, Christians, Yazidis and Sabeans, and numbering at about 120,000. Hebrew is also listed as one of Iraq’s six languages.

Yet, following the end of the British mandate, the 2,700-year-old Iraqi Jewish community suffered horrible persecution, particularly as the Zionist drive for a state intensified. In June 1941, the Mufti-inspired, pro-Nazi coup of Rashid Ali sparked rioting and a pogrom in Baghdad during the Jewish Feast of Shavuot. Armed Iraqi mobs, with the complicity of the police and the army, murdered 180 Jews and wounded almost 1,000 in what became known as the Farhud pogrom. Immediately following, the British Army re-entered Baghdad, and success of the Jewish community resumed. Jews built a broad network of medical facilities, schools and cultural activity. Nearly all of the members of the Baghdad Symphony Orchestra were Jewish. Yet this flourisng environment abruptly ended in 1947, with the partition of Palestine and the fight for Israel’s independence. Outbreaks of anti-Jewish rioting regularly occurred between 1947 and 1949. After the establishment of Israel in 1948, Zionism became a capital crime.

snip

Israel used the Mossad's covert operation in Iraqi Kurdistan (which was helping the forces of Mullah Mustapha Barazani (there are photos of Barzani with the Mossad on line.. )

continued

Jews of Iraq | Jewish Virtual Library

During these centuries under Muslim rule, the Jewish Community had it’s ups and downs. By World War I, they accounted for one third of Baghdad’s population. In 1922, the British recieved a mandate over Iraq and began transforming it into a modern nation-state.

Iraq became an independent state in 1932. Throughout this period, the authorities drew heavily on the talents of the mall well-educated Jews for their ties outside the country and proficiency in foreign languages. Iraq’s first minister of finance, Yehezkel Sasson, was a Jew. These Jewish communities played a vital role in the development of judicial and postal systems.

In the 1936 Iraq Directory, the “Israelite community” is listed among the various other Iraqi communities, such as Arabs, Kirds, Turkmen, Muslims, Christians, Yazidis and Sabeans, and numbering at about 120,000. Hebrew is also listed as one of Iraq’s six languages.

Yet, following the end of the British mandate, the 2,700-year-old Iraqi Jewish community suffered horrible persecution, particularly as the Zionist drive for a state intensified. In June 1941, the Mufti-inspired, pro-Nazi coup of Rashid Ali sparked rioting and a pogrom in Baghdad during the Jewish Feast of Shavuot. Armed Iraqi mobs, with the complicity of the police and the army, murdered 180 Jews and wounded almost 1,000 in what became known as the Farhud pogrom. Immediately following, the British Army re-entered Baghdad, and success of the Jewish community resumed. Jews built a broad network of medical facilities, schools and cultural activity. Nearly all of the members of the Baghdad Symphony Orchestra were Jewish. Yet this flourisng environment abruptly ended in 1947, with the partition of Palestine and the fight for Israel’s independence. Outbreaks of anti-Jewish rioting regularly occurred between 1947 and 1949. After the establishment of Israel in 1948, Zionism became a capital crime.

snip

Israel used the Mossad's covert operation in Iraqi Kurdistan (which was helping the forces of Mullah Mustapha Barazani (there are photos of Barzani with the Mossad on line.. )

continued

No doubt the Jews didn't have it good in any of the Muslim countries. There might have been periods when they weren't discriminated against, but probably very few times. By the way, Shaarona, speaking of the Kurds, since they number many, many millions more in population than the Palestinians, are you cheering for a state for them?

snip

continued

No doubt the Jews didn't have it good in any of the Muslim countries. There might have been periods when they weren't discriminated against, but probably very few times. By the way, Shaarona, speaking of the Kurds, since they number many, many millions more in population than the Palestinians, are you cheering for a state for them?

I think a Kurdish state is a mistake, but Israel has armed the more violent and revolution elements since 1950..

A state is probably inevitable. I hope it works, but I fear they have been used to take control of Iraqi oil and gas fields and may no longer be useful.

In Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon and Libya Arab Jews tended to be prosperous and successful. Israel put a lot of pressure on them.

snip

continued

I think a Kurdish state is a mistake, but Israel has armed the more violent and revolution elements since 1950..

A state is probably inevitable. I hope it works, but I fear they have been used to take control of Iraqi oil and gas fields and may no longer be useful.

In Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon and Libya Arab Jews tended to be prosperous and successful. Israel put a lot of pressure on them.

Well, I guess Shaarona doesn't believe that millions and millions of Kurds deserve their own state. No doubt she feel that those terrible Israelis and perhaps Americ are using them to take control of Iraq oil and gas fields. As far as the countries that Shaarona has listed, I think I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, than anything she feels like throwing out about the Jews in the Middle East. I would agree that the Jews and others were prosperous in Iran under the Shah since many of those who fled when those religious nuts took over had to leave all their assets behind and start all over.

Who is an Arab Jew? by Albert Memmi

That all may be a little dry for a lovely Sat. morning. How bout Psalm 137?

The Mourning of the Exiles in Babylon

By the rivers of Babylon
there we sat down, yea, we wept,
when we remembered Zion.
We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.
For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song;
and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying,
Sing us one of the songs of Zion.
How shall we sing the LORD's song in a strange land?
If I forget thee, O Jerusalem,
let my right hand forget her cunning.
If I do not remember thee,
let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth;
if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.
Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom
in the day of Jerusalem;
who said, Rase it, rase it,
even to the foundation thereof.
O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed;
happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth
thy little ones against the stones.

Or this?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdgMo7BjA0Y"]Rivers Of Babylon[/ame]

I almost forgot this;

Destruction of Sennacherib

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.
Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.
For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
And there lay the steed with his nostril all wide,
But through it there rolled not the breath of his pride;
And the foam of his gasping lay white on the turf,
And cold as the spray of the rock-beating surf.
And there lay the rider distorted and pale,
With the dew on his brow, and the rust on his mail:
And the tents were all silent, the banners alone,
The lances unlifted, the trumpet unblown.
And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,
And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal;
And the might of the Gentile, unsmote by the sword,
Hath melted like snow in the glance of the Lord.

Lord Byron

I almost forgot this;

Destruction of Sennacherib

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.
Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.
For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
And there lay the steed with his nostril all wide,
But through it there rolled not the breath of his pride;
And the foam of his gasping lay white on the turf,
And cold as the spray of the rock-beating surf.
And there lay the rider distorted and pale,
With the dew on his brow, and the rust on his mail:
And the tents were all silent, the banners alone,
The lances unlifted, the trumpet unblown.
And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,
And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal;
And the might of the Gentile, unsmote by the sword,
Hath melted like snow in the glance of the Lord.

Lord Byron

I like The Charge of the Light Brigade

The Charge Of The Light Brigade by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Gotta love those Romantics.

One more and I'll stop intruding in this thread;

Kubla Khan

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round :
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree ;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

S.T. Coleridge

snip

continued

Israel didn't put any pressure on anything, you idiot. Muslim countries turned on their ethnic minority Jews and starting killing them in the streets, and then confiscating aka stealing all land and property belonging to them. (shades of prophet Mohammad).

Israel saved the Jews from these intolerant animals by providing a safe haven for them. If there is ever an argument for the state of Israel, it's the treatment of Jews at the hands of their Muslim hosts. For thousands of years Jews lived a persecuted life in all these Arab countries, yet Arab animals managed to finally ethnically cleanse the native Jewish population and it's ancient history from each and every one of those countries. In essence, Arabs accomplished in the Middle East what Nazis in couldn't.

And now, Israel, the land from which all the Jews in the Middle East originated and spread from, is the last stand of three thousand years of Jewish history and civilization in the Middle East. That's why Sephardi Jews are some of the most Zionist Jews you can find. They experienced Muslim savagery first hand.

Kubla Khan

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
Down to a sunless sea.

S.T. Coleridge

No problem because these poems are actually more enjoyable than the made-up stories we hear here. I actually like his The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (text of 1834) by Samuel Taylor Coleridge : The Poetry Foundation

Kubla Khan

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
Down to a sunless sea.

S.T. Coleridge

No problem because these poems are actually more enjoyable than the made-up stories we hear here. I actually like his The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (text of 1834) by Samuel Taylor Coleridge : The Poetry Foundation

I think unless language itself becomes obsolete this stuff with the power to actually stir ones soul will always be around.

Kubla Khan

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
Down to a sunless sea.

S.T. Coleridge

I think unless language itself becomes obsolete this stuff with the power to actually stir ones soul will always be around.

I have to agree with you there. People will not like every poem written, but there will be poems that really hit them which they will enjoy. I haven't checked, but there are probably poetry groups in all the big cities in the U.S.

Israel didn't put any pressure on anything, you idiot. Muslim countries turned on their ethnic minority Jews and starting killing them in the streets, and then confiscating aka stealing all land and property belonging to them. (shades of prophet Mohammad).

Israel saved the Jews from these intolerant animals by providing a safe haven for them. If there is ever an argument for the state of Israel, it's the treatment of Jews at the hands of their Muslim hosts. For thousands of years Jews lived a persecuted life in all these Arab countries, yet Arab animals managed to finally ethnically cleanse the native Jewish population and it's ancient history from each and every one of those countries. In essence, Arabs accomplished in the Middle East what Nazis in couldn't.

And now, Israel, the land from which all the Jews in the Middle East originated and spread from, is the last stand of three thousand years of Jewish history and civilization in the Middle East. That's why Sephardi Jews are some of the most Zionist Jews you can find. They experienced Muslim savagery first hand.

You might want to read up on the history of the Kurds..

Most of the Jews were not native to the Arab world unless you recognize that they were basically Canaanites.. They began moving into the Arab world around 300-400 BC.

snip

continued

I've noticed that Shaarona has usually failed to document most of the assertions made - one more time - how about some links?

Most of the Jews were not native to the Arab world unless you recognize that they were basically Canaanites.. They began moving into the Arab world around 300-400 BC.

Yeah, Sharoona knows more than Roudy who actually comes from the Middle East. Maybe Sharoona can explain to the readers how the Jews came to the Arab world around 300-400 b.c. when so many Jewish artifacts were found in Israel that are certainly older than that. I am beginning to wonder what madrassa Sharoona attended.

Let's get a definition from you for each of those terms in your statements above - and some SOURCES.

ONE of the four or so groups which contributed to the 'coalition' of clans which became the Jewish People was certainly the Caananite 'underclass' of some of the city-states who had revolted and destroyed their overlords - who were Egyptian clients.

Bu that is very far from being all of the story. Shaarona, your OPINIONS as posted leave out far too much to merit description as 'accurate' - and once again, you seem to expect that your words should be taken as fact without any supporting documentation. That's simply not acceptable, not from anyone - least of all such a recent arrival.

ONE of the four or so groups which contributed to the 'coalition' of clans which became the Jewish People was certainly the Caananite 'underclass' of some of the city-states who had revolted and destroyed their overlords - who were Egyptian clients.

Bu that is very far from being all of the story. Shaarona, your OPINIONS as posted leave out far too much to merit description as 'accurate' - and once again, you seem to expect that your words should be taken as fact without any supporting documentation. That's simply not acceptable, not from anyone - least of all such a recent arrival.

Why don't you READ Benny Morris's books and the writings of Sharrett and Moshe Dayan.

Then you might read some archeology.. in particular the Lost Dynasty of Egypt.

My opinions are as good as your penchant for insults .. If you want to know the ME.. start reading seriously. I have for over 60 years.

Yosef Chaim Brenner, David Ben Gurion, and Rachel Yanait. Along with Ben Gurion he composed the book "The Land of Israel Past and Present" promulgating that the Palestinians are descended from Jewish farmers.

Forum List

Back