Isaiah 53, the forbidden chapter of the Hebrew Bible

"Messiah" means anointed one. The Jewish people are looking for the human person who is anointed to be as great a political ruler as David. Jesus insisted he was not this messiah. To back this up, Jesus said it was Moses (not Isaiah) who referenced him--Moses who lived long before David and Saul, in the time Judges--not kings--were first appointed.

For all we know, perhaps there will be another human Jewish leader appointed by God. This takes nothing from the task Jesus was anointed to do.

Jesus did indeed claim to be the Messiah. He may not have gone around yelling "I am the Messiah" but he did communicate it, more than once.

The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”​
Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”
Mark 14:61-62​
_____​

But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”​
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”​
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.​
John 4:25-26​
_____​

But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.​
Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”
“I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Mark 14:61-62​

There are more scriptures I could post, but it would take time to round them all up.

He also claimed to be one with God.

I believe one of the reasons the Jewish people rejected Jesus is because they didn't understand that the Messiah came as both the suffering servant, AND the conquering king. They were looking for the conquering king, a political ruler, so they missed the Messiah as the suffering servant, as prophesied in Psalms, Isaiah and other places.

Who do you believe Jesus is?

Christians shouldn't fiddle with Jewish writings and change their meaning after the fact. It does a disservice to Jesus. Isn't he enough without the dishonest embellishments?

Christians shouldn't fiddle with Jewish writings and change their meaning after the fact. It does a disservice to Jesus. Isn't he enough without the dishonest embellishments?
Christians are not fiddling with Jewish writings. What some Christians have is a much different perspective--and that's all right, too, as long as we are not telling people of other faiths and denominations what perspective they must have.

Somewhere along the the line many began to associate the words 'prophet' and 'prophecy' not with the original intent (someone who speaks for God) but as someone who foresees the future. They also seemed to form a picture of Jesus as someone who was unaware of the teachings in Isaiah, not as someone who knew them well and took them all very much to heart. He lived the life every Israelite is called to live.

For this alone, Jews have reason to be awed and inspired by such a man and such a life. Instead, as Jesus pointed out, "A prophet has no honor in his native place." That being the case, I consider myself hugely blessed that I was born in a place that can honor Jesus and his life. I think, to Jews, Jesus was just like everyone else. Therefore, we Christians have every reason to honor Jews as well--instead of telling them everything they are doing wrong.

Christians are not fiddling with Jewish writings. What some Christians have is a much different perspective--and that's all right, too, as long as we are not telling people of other faiths and denominations what perspective they must have.

Somewhere along the the line many began to associate the words 'prophet' and 'prophecy' not with the original intent (someone who speaks for God) but as someone who foresees the future. They also seemed to form a picture of Jesus as someone who was unaware of the teachings in Isaiah, not as someone who knew them well and took them all very much to heart. He lived the life every Israelite is called to live.

For this alone, Jews have reason to be awed and inspired by such a man and such a life. Instead, as Jesus pointed out, "A prophet has no honor in his native place." That being the case, I consider myself hugely blessed that I was born in a place that can honor Jesus and his life. I think, to Jews, Jesus was just like everyone else. Therefore, we Christians have every reason to honor Jews as well--instead of telling them everything they are doing wrong.

You are right about prophets.. There were schools for prophets from the time of Saul..

I think that Christians have fiddled with the OT scripture.. like in Hosea.. reading Jesus into the text to prove something.

There is no mention of Jesus anywhere in the Torah..

Jesus being aware of the teachings of Isaiah doesn't mean the scripture was about Jesus. The Jewish idea of a messiah was very different than our belief in Jesus.

I think that Christians have fiddled with the OT scripture.. like in Hosea.. reading Jesus into the text to prove something.

Jesus being aware of the teachings of Isaiah doesn't mean the scripture was about Jesus. The Jewish idea of a messiah was very different than our belief in Jesus.
There is nothing fiddling or wrong about any scripture reminding anyone of Jesus. For Christians, that is exactly what scripture should do. It takes nothing from that scripture. While Jesus was not mentioned by name, Jesus noted that Moses referenced him. And yes, I already mentioned the differences in how people use the word 'Messiah'. A Smurf saying, "I'm blue" is very different from someone who is sad say, "I'm blue." Same goes for the word 'Messiah'.

There is nothing fiddling or wrong about any scripture reminding anyone of Jesus. For Christians, that is exactly what scripture should do. It takes nothing from that scripture. While Jesus was not mentioned by name, Jesus noted that Moses referenced him. And yes, I already mentioned the differences in how people use the word 'Messiah'. A Smurf saying, "I'm blue" is very different from someone who is sad say, "I'm blue." Same goes for the word 'Messiah'.

Claimants

Isaiah 53 is about the suffering servant, the Jewish People.

No.

Read Isaiah 52; 13,14. This is the introduction to Isaiah 53

"Time was when many were aghast at you, my people; so now many nations recoil; at sight of him, and kings curl their lips in disgust. For they see what they had never been told and things unheard before fill their thoughts."

He a clear distinction is made between the Jewish people, my people (plural), and him (singular), the suffering servant whose description follows in 53.

Let's go to the source, Prophet Isaiah:

But you, Israel, My servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, My friend; you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are My servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off.” -- Isaiah 41: 8,9

But now hear, O Jacob My servant, Israel whom I have chosen! -- Isaiah 44: 1

Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for you are My servant; I formed you; you are My servant; O Israel, you will not be forgotten by Me. -- Isaiah 44: 21

For the sake of My servant Jacob, and Israel my chosen, I called you by your name, I name you, though you do not know Me. -- Isaiah 45: 4

Go out from Babylon, flee from Chaldea, declare this with a shout of joy, proclaim it, send it out to the end of the earth; say, “The Lord has redeemed His servant Jacob!” -- Isaiah 48: 20

And He said to me, “You are My servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.” --Isaiah 49: 3

That Isaiah is talking about a nation and not an individual is confirmed by chapter 53: 8, "for the transgressions of My people [we gentiles] they [i.e., the Jewish People] were stricken."

"You are My witnesses, said the Lord, And My servant whom I have chosen" -- Isaiah 43: 10

"My witnesses" (plural); "My servant" (singular)

All the servant verses in Isaiah are referring to the Jewish People collectively.

I could quote just as many passages that decry Israel as a faithless servant, a whore, an unfaithful wife, etc.,

True?

...not to mention, "Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you,”

My point was that the purpose of Israel being given the law was to be a light to the nations. To this day the Jewish people still profess that the law was given to them and only for them, screw the nations, let them follow some bullshit noahide laws. One cannot fail to do what God commands and claim to be a servant of God at the same time..

That's why Jesus turned to the gentiles, to fulfill the command of God to be a light to the nations during a time when the hidden meaning of the law was being kept secret even from Jewish laity.

Thats why he said "no one lights a candle and then hides it under a bushel, but puts in on a lampstand to give light to everyone in the room."

Thats when Isaiah makes a clear distinction between the people of Israel and the faithful servant, singular and male which corresponds to deuteronomy 18:18

I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will convey all my commands." ; Explain the hidden meaning and purpose of God in giving the law.( as a light to the nations.)

again one person,not a nation..

This is the only way to resolve Isaiah 52; 13,14.

"Time was when many were aghast at you, my people; so now many nations recoil at sight of him, and kings curl their lips in disgust. For they see what they had never been told and things unheard before fill their thoughts."

Last edited:

No.

"Time was when many were aghast at you, my people; so now many nations recoil; at sight of him, and kings curl their lips in disgust. For they see what they had never been told and things unheard before fill their thoughts."

He a clear distinction is made between the Jewish people, my people (plural), and him (singular), the suffering servant whose description follows in 53.

But you, Israel, My servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, My friend; you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are My servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off.” -- Isaiah 41: 8,9

Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for you are My servant; I formed you; you are My servant; O Israel, you will not be forgotten by Me. -- Isaiah 44: 21

For the sake of My servant Jacob, and Israel my chosen, I called you by your name, I name you, though you do not know Me. -- Isaiah 45: 4

Go out from Babylon, flee from Chaldea, declare this with a shout of joy, proclaim it, send it out to the end of the earth; say, “The Lord has redeemed His servant Jacob!” -- Isaiah 48: 20

And He said to me, “You are My servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.” --Isaiah 49: 3

That Isaiah is talking about a nation and not an individual is confirmed by chapter 53: 8, "for the transgressions of My people [we gentiles] they [i.e., the Jewish People] were stricken."

"You are My witnesses, said the Lord, And My servant whom I have chosen" -- Isaiah 43: 10

All the servant verses in Isaiah are referring to the Jewish People collectively.

I could quote just as many passages that decry Israel as a faithless servant, a whore, an unfaithful wife, etc.,

True?

...not to mention, "Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you,”

My point was that the purpose of Israel being given the law was to be a light to the nations. To this day the Jewish people still profess that the law was given to them and only for them, screw the nations, let them follow some bullshit noahide laws.

That's why Jesus turned to the gentiles, to fulfill the command of God to be a light to the nations.
Thats why he said "no one lights a candle and then hides it under a bushel, but puts in on a lampstand to give light to everyone in the room."

Thats when Isaiah makes a clear distinction between the people of Israel and the faithful servant, singular and male which corresponds to deuteronomy 18:18

I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will convey all my commands." ; Explain the hidden meaning and purpose of God in giving the law.( as a light to the nations.)

"Time was when many were aghast at you, my people; so now many nations recoil at sight of him, and kings curl their lips in disgust. For they see what they had never been told and things unheard before fill their thoughts."
I thought that was about Cyrus who returned the Jews from Babylon.

No.

True?

My point was that the purpose of Israel being given the law was to be a light to the nations. To this day the Jewish people still profess that the law was given to them and only for them, screw the nations, let them follow some bullshit noahide laws.

That's why Jesus turned to the gentiles, to fulfill the command of God to be a light to the nations.

Did Cyrus ever reveal the hidden purpose of God? Did he teach that kosher law was not about what you put into your mouth but what you put into your mind? That the flesh of one creature or another either clean or unclean was a metaphor for teaching? That the described creatures either clean or unclean are painfully obvious metaphors for human archetypes?

Be opened.

Swine who do not ruminate, teeming vermin who go down on all fours, vultures, wolves, sheep, goats, dogs, cattle, parasites, bottom feeders, and every foul and loathsome beast or bird...etc.,

Do you see what I see?

Last edited:

No.

True?

Did Cyrus ever reveal the hidden purpose of God? Did he teach that kosher law was not about what you put into your mouth but what you put into your mind? That the flesh of one creature or another either clean or unclean was a metaphor for teaching? That the described creatures either clean or unclean are painfully obvious metaphors for human archetypes?

Deuteronomy 18:18 right? The problem is that Jesus isn't a prophet of Judaism.

No.

True?

Thats a shame.

By saying "eat my flesh", a revelation from God about the hidden meaning of the words and subjects of Kosher law, he was the one you were expecting to convey all of God's commands.

No.

True?

Thats a shame.

By saying "eat my flesh", a revelation from God about the hidden meaning of the words and subjects of Kosher law, he was the one you were expecting to convey all of God's commands.

Muslims think its Muhammed. Christians say its Jesus.. What do the Jews think Deuteronomy 18:18 is about?

No.

True?

Thats a shame.

Muslims think its Muhammed. Christians say its Jesus.. What do the Jews think Deuteronomy 18:18 is about?

Hey we could go on and on about whats been said and who believes what but the proof is in the pudding.

Give it a try. If you don't already do it differentiate between clean and unclean teaching. Stand guard over the sanctity of your own mind. It's the only way to understand and comply with the divine commands that leads to eternal life. You don't have to go anywhere, buy anything, join any group, chant, sing songs, wear silly clothes, strap a box on your head, mutilate weenies, light candles, pray to a mangod, starve yourself, give away your possessions, or abandon your religion.

Its easy.

you can even do it in secret.

Last edited:

No.

True?

Thats a shame.

Hey we could go on and on about whats been said and who believes what but the proof is in the pudding.

Give it a try. If you don't already do it, differentiate between clean and unclean teaching. Stand guard over the sanctity of your own mind. It's the way that leads to eternal life. You don't have to go anywhere, buy anything, join any group. Its easy.

I know Isaiah 53 is about Israel.. I don't understand deuteronomy 18:18 ..

Jesus is nowhere mentioned in the OT and he doesn't fit the messiah they were looking for.

So who do the Jews think the passage is about?

No.

True?

Be opened.

Swine who do not ruminate, teeming vermin who go down on all fours, vultures, wolves, sheep, goats, dogs, cattle, parasites, bottom feeders, and every foul and loathsome beast or bird...etc.,

Do you see what I see?

nope----you are wrong-----you slander the faithful pharasee "Jesus"

No.

True?

Thats a shame.

Give it a try. If you don't already do it, differentiate between clean and unclean teaching. Stand guard over the sanctity of your own mind. It's the way that leads to eternal life. You don't have to go anywhere, buy anything, join any group. Its easy.

Jesus is nowhere mentioned in the OT and he doesn't fit the messiah they were looking for.

Jesus does not fit your messianic expectations because they are about as irrational as christian expectations for Jesus to float down from the sky. ANY MINUTE!

No.

True?

Be opened.

Do you see what I see?

nope----you are wrong-----you slander the faithful pharasee "Jesus"

Don't do that. We're trying to sort this out.

No.

True?

Thats a shame.

Jesus does not fit your messianic expectations because they are about as irrational as christian expectations for Jesus to float down from the sky. ANY MINUTE!

Jesus is NOT an anointed warrior king who vanquished the enemies of the Jews and threw off the Roman occupation.

That doesn't mean he wasn't a holy man. Jesus never preached to the Gentiles, did he?

Jesus is NOT an anointed warrior king who vanquished the enemies of the Jews and threw off the Roman occupation.

That doesn't mean he wasn't a holy man. Jesus never preached to the Gentiles, did he?

I know. The messiah was supposed to vanquish the enemies of the Jewish people with a sword, lead people to the sanctuary of God, etc. You think he didn't do these things. I say he did.

Jesus was reaching out to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. He sent his disciples to smite the gentiles nations with his sword..

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them." Jeremiah 25:15

:wine:

"From his mouth there went a sharp sword with which to smite the nations." rev.19:15

Take this cup of wine and drink it, all of you. This is a cup of my blood, the blood of the covenant. (Jesus H. Christ)

"Just art thou, in these thy judgments, thou Holy One who art and wast; for they shed the blood of thy people and of thy prophets and thou hast given them blood to drink"

"He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword."

Take a good look around. Piles of unburied corpses are everywhere, slain by that cruel sword.

And Jesus didn't build a temple but by teaching the only right way to understand and comply with the divine commands that leads to eternal life he led people to the sanctuary of God. God is God of the living. Again, leading people to the sanctuary of God is not about leading people to a fancy slaughterhouse made by human hands.

Last edited:

I know. The messiah was supposed to vanquish the enemies of the Jewish people with a sword, lead people to the sanctuary of God, etc. You think he didn't do these things. I say he did.

Jesus was reaching out to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. He sent his disciples to smite the gentiles nations with his sword..

"Take from my hand this cup of fiery wine and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. When they have drunk it they will vomit and go mad; such is the sword that I am sending among them." Jeremiah 25:15

"From his mouth there went a sharp sword with which to smite the nations." rev.19:15

Take this cup of wine and drink it, all of you. This is a cup of my blood, the blood of the covenant. (Jesus H. Christ)

"Just art thou, in these thy judgments, thou Holy One who art and wast; for they shed the blood of thy people and of thy prophets and thou hast given them blood to drink"

Take a good look around. Piles of unburied corpses are everywhere, slain by that cruel sword.

And Jesus didn't build a temple but by teaching the only right way to understand and comply with the divine commands that leads to eternal life he led people to the sanctuary of God. God is God of the living. Again, leading people to the sanctuary of God is not about leading people to a fancy slaughterhouse made by human hands.

Jeremiah 25:15 isn't about Jesus.

Jeremiah 25:15 isn't about Jesus.

I agree. It is about a sword clearly defined as a curse under the appearance of a cup of wine that is sent out to smite the nations beginning in Jerusalem to the ends of the earth.

Clearly Jesus was drawing from this when he said that he did not come to bring peace but a sword. and took a cup of wine and said, "Take this cup of wine and drink it, this is a cup of my blood."

Do you think it is a coincidence that both the so called great and lesser commissions parallels the rest of that chapter Jeremiah wrote almost verbatim?

Is it a coincidence that everyone who drinks from that cup goes insane?

He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword and all that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back