Is Slavery Wrong?

I’m just gonna say I oppose slavery.

I consider it an evil.

So what purpose is served by this OP and by this thread is unclear.
He knew that some conservatives would struggle to plainly state that slavery is wrong.

• Winner
Reactions: IM2
No link, no personal input.

fail, whiner. please show on the doll where the bad Moderator hurt you

It depends entirely on the context.

Imagine an adult in a primitive society. He owns no land, no tools, has no marketable skills. If nature takes its course, he will starve or die of some disease, and nobody will care.

But he is captured by a human-trader, shackled, and sold to a plantation owner. He is housed, fed, clothed, but forced to work without other compensation. If he escapes or seeks to escape he will be punished severely, or killed.

But why would he escape?

As "bad" as slavery is, it always must be compared with the alternatives. It has been around for eons, in all cultures, races, and religions. But of course "we" are better than that, right? "We" would never participate in such an institution, even if we were born into a society where it was the norm.

Ya think? Didn't America actually fight a war to end it? Slavery existed thousands of years before, and it still exists NOW in Arab Muslim countries. Ask the people still practicing it.
Are you now going against "The Lost Cause" myth and admitting that the Civil War was, indeed, about slavery?

• Winner
America's Honky Taxpayers ponied up big time to fight a major war against Slavery in the 1860's. Many honky families lost sons in the conflict because they opposed slavery on principal.

And they did that, even though a lot of those folks didn't even like black people.

Yet, in spite of this momentous sacrifice made by the Honkies, they are still being asked to pony up for "reparations".

What a load of shit.
That didn't happen. Furthermore, blacks fought for freedom before and during the Civil War. After the civil war ended, those same taxpayers youu talk about paid for Jim Crow until 1964 by overt practice. So if you don't know anything about history, don't try to tell it.

Well you clearly missed the point of my post. The OP obviously thinks the answer is "slavery is bad", yet he doesnt give two shits about modern day slaves. None of you whiney fucks do. All you do is bitch about the past.

In short, suck my dick. :dunno:
Now that would be child molestation, boy.

• Thanks
No link, no personal input.

People break that rule all the time. You don't say anything when a white person starts a racist thread dissing blacks.

Are you now going against "The Lost Cause" myth and admitting that the Civil War was, indeed, about slavery?
Someone tell Mary that the war wasn't fought to end slavery.

That didn't happen. Furthermore, blacks fought for freedom before and during the Civil War. After the civil war ended, those same taxpayers youu talk about paid for Jim Crow until 1964 by overt practice. So if you don't know anything about history, don't try to tell it.

Focus, IM.

We're talking specifically about SLAVERY here, not the Jim Crow policies of liberals in the post-civil war people.

Like I said in my post, a lot of the Honkies that paid in treasure as well as blood to end slavery, never liked black people. That isn't in dispute.

But even though they didn't care for African Americans, they still died and paid high taxes to end slavery.

BTW, I'm sure that blacks were always against slavery too. But they weren't the ones conscripted into the Grand Army of the Republic.

Imagine an adult in a primitive society. He owns no land, no tools, has no marketable skills. If nature takes its course, he will starve or die of some disease, and nobody will care.

But he is captured by a human-trader, shackled, and sold to a plantation owner. He is housed, fed, clothed, but forced to work without other compensation. If he escapes or seeks to escape he will be punished severely, or killed.

But why would he escape?

As "bad" as slavery is, it always must be compared with the alternatives. It has been around for eons, in all cultures, races, and religions. But of course "we" are better than that, right? "We" would never participate in such an institution, even if we were born into a society where it was the norm.
No it doesn't.

Try not imagining things that were not so.

From a Virginia 7th grade textbook, circa 1956

“A feeling of strong affection existed between masters and slaves in a majority of Virginia homes. . . The house servants became almost as much a part of the planter’s family circle as its white members. . . The Negroes were always present at family weddings. They were allowed to look on at dances and other entertainments . . . A strong tie existed between slave and master because each was dependent on the other. . . The slave system demanded that the master care for the slave in childhood, in sickness, and in old age. The regard that master and slaves had for each other made plantation life happy and prosperous. Life among the Negroes of Virginia in slavery times was generally happy. The Negroes went about in a cheerful manner making a living for themselves and for those for whom they worked. . . But they were not worried by the furious arguments going on between Northerners and Southerners over what should be done with them. In fact, they paid little attention to these arguments.”

But why would he escape?

You must have written that textbook I quoted in post 36.

Focus, IM.

We're talking specifically about SLAVERY here, not the Jim Crow policies of liberals in the post-civil war people.

Like I said in my post, a lot of the Honkies that paid in treasure as well as blood to end slavery, never liked black people. That isn't in dispute.

But even though they didn't care for African Americans, they still died and paid high taxes to end slavery.

BTW, I'm sure that blacks were always against slavery too. But they weren't the ones conscripted into the Grand Army of the Republic.
I am focused and what I said applies. The north fought to preserve the union. Northern whites did not give a damn about slaves. The south fought to keep slaves. And blacks fought for freedom for over 200 years before the Civil War as well as fighting during the civil war. You say blacks were not conscripted? You could have fooled the black soldiers in The First Kansas Infantry or the 55th Massachusetts and others. Again, if you don't know anything about history, stop trying to tell it.

Forum List

Back