Is Modesty Relevant

Did this thread turn into a battle of the generations while my back was turned?

Well, speaking as a member of the boomer generation, hippi division, all I have to say is nobody in my generation or subset of same has any right whatever to mock what other people wear, that's for DAMNED SURE.

You folks ever see how WE DRESSED back when the sap was running quick in our young veins?

Personally I think kids today are far more sensible in their dress than we were.

There are exceptions of course, but for the most part kids don't seem to care much about making fashion statements like we felt we had to do. (or maybe actually had to do to liberate all of us from the tyranny of fashion.)

Did this thread turn into a battle of the generations while my back was turned?

Well, speaking as a member of the boomer generation, hippi division, all I have to say is nobody in my generation or subset of same has any right whatever to mock what other people wear, that's for DAMNED SURE.

You folks ever see how WE DRESSED back when the sap was running quick in our young veins?

Personally I think kids today are far more sensible in their dress than we were.

There are exceptions of course, but for the most part kids don't seem to care much about making fashion statements like we felt we had to do. (or maybe actually had to do to liberate all of us from the tyranny of fashion.)

Well, according to my teen there are many fashion "statements" made by them today.

Some are:

The 'Scene' Look, emo, punk, slutty, goth, skater, wanna-be ganster, preppy, grunge, nerdy, and jocky....(these terms are straight out of her mouth btw when I asked her what kids were into these days....)

She herself wears bandshirts, sweatshirts and jeans, jeans and jeans.....

Well, according to my teen there are many fashion "statements" made by them today.

Some are:

The 'Scene' Look, emo, punk, slutty, goth, skater, wanna-be ganster, preppy, grunge, nerdy, and jocky....(these terms are straight out of her mouth btw when I asked her what kids were into these days....)

my oldest daughter is called a "straight edge" they also have a huge population of juggalo's out here too that follow that band with all the clown make up.:eek:

I wore halter tops, (without bra) all the time when young! It was the fashion? that, and hip-hugger, bell bottom jeans..... :eek:

Looking back on it now, i can understand why my mom was so upset with me, but at the time....i just thought it was fashion and sex or being so sexy that i drove guys crazy was the farthest thing from my mind....(until later on in life)! :D

Seriously though, i think the best term to describe what our youth wears, no matter the generation, "They know not what they do!"

And also, to the author of this thread....there are plenty of women that do dress moderately....moreso than those that dress like prostitutes in my opinion....

Though, i do admit, i have not been to a high school for decades so maybe it is worse than ever, but i doubt it....?

care

I wore halter tops, (without bra) all the time when young! It was the fashion? that, and hip-hugger, bell bottom jeans..... :eek:

Looking back on it now, i can understand why my mom was so upset with me, but at the time....i just thought it was fashion and sex or being so sexy that i drove guys crazy was the farthest thing from my mind....(until later on in life)! :D

Seriously though, i think the best term to describe what our youth wears, no matter the generation, "They know not what they do!"

And also, to the author of this thread....there are plenty of women that do dress moderately....moreso than those that dress like prostitutes in my opinion....

Though, i do admit, i have not been to a high school for decades so maybe it is worse than ever, but i doubt it....?

care

I was in vegas and married in my teenage years but I was a cyndi lauper/madonna freak and had punky orange hair and spandex ha ha:cool:

I was in vegas and married in my teenage years but I was a cyndi lauper/madonna freak and had punky orange hair and spandex ha ha:cool:

hahahahahaha! See? You and I chloe are the perfect reason of why our youth today should be forgiven! :lol:

hahahahahaha! See? You and I chloe are the perfect reason of why our youth today should be forgiven! :lol:

ha ha yep I don't care how people dress, it's a form of expression. Except jeffree....because hes a whore !:cool:

Some are:

Yeah but that is sort of my point.

The fact that they feel comfortable wearing whatever the hell they want is something that came of the social revolution of the 60s.

Kids are always going to play dressup. They're trying on new identities.

In fact we all do that, really, don't we?

We either dress up to stand out or we dress down to stand down, but either way, we're consciously making decisions about how what we look like will impact those around us.

The gang currently cohabiting with me mostly dresses sideways.

That is to say their fashion statement is no fashionstatement so they can not be goths or hiphoppers or NRA hunter types or Mainer cowboys or any of the other various styles which seem to exist hereabouts.

Their contempt for their goth (or whatever) peers is no less a conceit than those whose dress seems (to me) to be somewhat outlandish.

I think because Matt and I were never able to have children of our own....the youth and how they dress, doesn't matter as much....

Certainly, if i had my own teenage child going nutzoid on their dress, I would probably be right there with those that have posted concerns....but since I am an "outsider" in my age group, with no children, I still view matt and me....as rebellious kids ourselves! :D

:lol:

Though my inventory of daily ready to wear, now that I am a stay at home wife, consists of 30 different colors of Sweat pants and tops! Hardly sexy!!!! lol Heh! But at least I can still recognize that it is not sexy! :p

Care

Last edited:
I think because Matt and I were never able to have children of our own....the youth and how they dress, doesn't matter as much....

Certainly, if i had my own teenage child going nutzoid on their dress, I would probably be right there with those that have posted concerns....but since I am an "outsider" in my age group, with no children, I still view matt and me....as rebellious kids ourselves! :D

:lol:

Though my inventory of daily ready to wear, now that I am a stay at home wife, consists or 30 different colors of Sweat pants and tops! Hardly sexy!!!! lol Heh! But at least I can still recognize that it is not sexy! :p

Care

mainly even as a parent I dont mind self expression, i only mind if it means Im going to get a call at work from the school saying I have to pick my kid up because they dont like the form of self expression style she chose.....he he

mainly even as a parent I dont mind self expression, i only mind if it means Im going to get a call at work from the school saying I have to pick my kid up because they dont like the form of self expression style she chose.....he he
ooooooooooooooo, hmmm, something I had not even thought of...!

that could be embarrassing or an inconvenience... in the least! lol

An incredibly sane approach to child rearing, in my opinion.

Good parenting, it seems to me, requires that we choose our battles wisely.

There are issues where we might need to put our feet down, but often (especially when it comes to issues like fashion) letting reality make our cases for us is probably the wiser path to take.

Kids have to make their own mistakes and fashion is one those where where their choices are usually so ephemeral that its probably not worth you spending your parenting capital on it.

I for one don't want grown men to look at my young daughter and entertain sexual fantasies about her.

I've given in on some fashion things (she's only 6). For example, I'm a lot more lax about "dressing" for school. I used to want her to wear a jacket/skirt (essentially school uniform) or other modest but appropriate dress 2-3 times a week (she has a 4-day school week) but I have relented and now she wears mostly jeans. Largely this is practical....she has PE and then goes to the sitter's and does a lot of outdoor activities, which include summersaults and monkey bars and there's just no point to it. It's easier if she just wears jeans, which she loves.

She also went through a stage where she wanted to wear tight-fitting street walker attire like she sees on tv, short short skirts, sequins etc (and I think most little girls go through this) but we got over that. I bought and made her princess dress up clothes to wear at home whenever she felt the urge and she sort of forgot about the sparkly tights, platform shoes and purple velvet miniskirts she was originally attracted to.

And I have a particular abhorrence for little girls' t-shirts or sweats with slogans on them. But I've even given up on that. So long as the item itself is within a decent range, I don't mind her wearing things that say "Sweetie" on them, so long as it isn't emblazoned across her ass. The last thing I got her that had "Sweetie" on it I picked up at Ross, and it had pretty sparkly butterflies on it, a long-sleeved shirt, very nice....but when she saw it she goes, "What's "s-w-e-e-f-i-e spell?" The "i" looks either like another "t" (in which case, it says "sweetty") or an "f". Oh well. Sweetty is as sweetty does, as I alway tell her.

As far as the deal with provocative clothing, I've worn my share and it was fun but there's no question where your head is at when you're doing it, or the kind of attention you attract. If that's the attention you want...the animosity of most women and the slavering behavior of men you don't know, go for it.

Within my church, we generally promote modest clothing, but there are no requirements. The philosophy is that it's pretty hard to concentrate on God and following the comandments which include not lusting after others in your heart is you can't help looking down someone's blouse because it barely covers her nips.

I just re-read the OP. Sorry, but it makes women responsible for a adult males reaction.

Modesty is for the person who is dressing--it is to make HER comfortable, not you.

An incredibly sane approach to child rearing, in my opinion.

Good parenting, it seems to me, requires that we choose our battles wisely.

There are issues where we might need to put our feet down, but often (especially when it comes to issues like fashion) letting reality make our cases for us is probably the wiser path to take.

Kids have to make their own mistakes and fashion is one those where where their choices are usually so ephemeral that its probably not worth you spending your parenting capital on it.
This is definitely how I approach things with my kids. My daughter goes back and forth between punk rock girl to scene kid to prep in a given week. My son is a skater and wears skinny jeans and band t-shirts daily. I don't care as long as they are clean, respectful, and get good grades.

Good luck with that. I'm sure they will, no matter what she wears. The key is to teach her how to handle that, not to pretend like you can hide her from the world.

I remember being shamed by mother who wouldn't allow me to wear skin-tight jeans. She was deathly afraid that something bad would happen to me. I used to feel bad when anyone would even notice me. I was quite neurotic about it and it took many years before I realized it was ok to be noticed.

Good luck with that. I'm sure they will, no matter what she wears. The key is to teach her how to handle that, not to pretend like you can hide her from the world.

No kidding---I sure don't want some sicko teacher at my son's school haven't fantasies about him ! It used to be so safe. :lol:

Forum List

Back