Is marketing a "Plus Size Barbie" a "good" thing?

Some alterations might be done to the very skinny-looking doll so that they don't contribute to girls unhealthy self-image that contributes to illness through malnutrition.

What contributes more to teen malnutrition, is the pop-culture going on. Those are the worst role-models for kids. Clean that up, clean up the parents supervision of the kids and knock off the unrealistic and extreme Barbies, and our teens may have a chance.

Never happen. There's too much ignorance in America and it is too late. :eusa_hand:

What is your proof the barbie causes anorexia? Far more american women are overweight or obese than anorexic. If the girls who owned barbies, far more become overweight or obese. We could just as well say the barbie is to blame for obesity by your hairbrained logic.

She didn't say it did.

According to this article a real life Barbie's measurements would be

nickolay-lamm-barbie-in-real-life1.jpg

Barbie, at 1/6 scale, would be 175.26 cm in height { 69 inches | 5’9″ tall } and have the following measurements…

91.44 cm bust | 36 inches
45.72 cm waist | 18 inches
83.82 cm hips | 33 inches
55.88 cm head circumference | 22 inches
22.86 cm neck circumference | 9 inches

A healthy 19 year old girl, 163.3 cm in height { 64.3 inches | 5’3-1/2″ tall } and measurements below, come from CDC.gov and the infographic from Barbie Body Would Be Pretty Odd-Looking In Real Life via Huffington Post …

85.4 cm waist | 33.6 inches
35.8 cm upper arm length | 14.1 inches
36.7 cm upper leg length | 14.5 inches
50.8 cm head circumference | 20 inches
38.1 cm neck circumference | 15 inches

what would barbie look like in real life a new study in comparison

Do we now think so little of our nation's young girls to suppose they believe a plastic doll is a model for their actual anatomy?

It's modeled as an ideal ...

Since when? When have you ever heard it suggested to young girls that they should look like their dolls? Did Raggy-Ann cause girls to pluck out their eyes and sew in buttons in their place?

Do we now think so little of our nation's young girls to suppose they believe a plastic doll is a model for their actual anatomy?

Since when? When have you ever heard it suggested to young girls that they should look like their dolls? Did Raggy-Ann cause girls to pluck out their eyes and sew in buttons in their place?

mmmh...I think it's more subtle than that. And...you have to admit there is a big difference between Raggedy-Ann and Barbie. Raggedy-Ann was never marketed as an ideal.

Barbie, at 1/6 scale, would be 175.26 cm in height { 69 inches | 5’9″ tall } and have the following measurements…

A healthy 19 year old girl, 163.3 cm in height { 64.3 inches | 5’3-1/2″ tall } and measurements below, come from CDC.gov and the infographic from Barbie Body Would Be Pretty Odd-Looking In Real Life via Huffington Post …

Those scrawny arms are downright creepy.

If you think an average looking doll should be on the market, than why don't you manufacture and sell them?

If there is a market of enough buyers, you will make a profit.

Yes, it is more realistic and representative of the adult female anatomy, than the original. Since Barbies will be around forever, it seems, they should reflect the body of a more average person, for better or for worse and in my opinion.

IMO neither one of those dolls represents a typical or realistic idea of what the female body looks like. I think it would make more sense to get rid of the original Barbie body but not create one who is obese. Create one who represents what is realistic for a healthy, normally shaped female. Something somewhere between to these two images.

Not even then. The fake hair. Too much makeup. I like a woman I can dance with who doesn't complain about "sweat".

Barbie is the epitome of fashion and popularity...good looks, boyfriend, nice car, home etc.
Barbie is all that is material wealth and good looks. You can not compare the Raggedy-Ann doll with that.

The Barbie Doll for years has been a "role model" for young girls...what this is about is Anorexic looking Barbie vs. Obese looking Barbie and should it be ok to market the Obese looking doll if it's ok to continue to market the anorexic looking doll..
In my opinion BOTH dolls are wrong in the make of their body type...period.
Sadly, we all know that the Barbie doll will continue to live on as the piece of plastic that she is...either way.
Your opinion doesn't determine market action by firms.

Your opinion again.

What is your proof the Barbie causes Anorexia? If anything, it is the opposite. Obesity is far more of a health risk and far more prevalent than anorexia. I bet far more girls who had a barbie when they were a kid grew up to be obese than anorexic.

Are you kidding me? Anorexia is 'ok'? Take anorexia over obesity? Really dude?

BOTH are dangerous BOTH cause major health problems, and BOTH end in death...you, sir, are very sick in the head if you think it's 'ok' to be anorexic over being obese....

~Actually, I think anorexia is far more serious and dangerous than obesity. Obesity can cause type 2 diabetes, but people are able to live long lives with diabetes, not that it is a good thing, but manageable, though it does lead to other health problems. Obesity can also lead to heart disease, stroke and other things that damage the body and can eventually lead to death. But, anorexia creates serious problems for the body and serious permanent damage that may not be reversible. It leads to early death, much earlier than obesity. I read that people at a certain level of being overweight, even near obesity, are living just as long as people who are considered of normal or desirable weight. I also read that very thin people die earlier on average than over weight people, not seriously over weight maybe, not obese. The point these articles made to me is that the desire to be the perfect weight, the idea that being thin is always healthier than being a little bit fat, those ideas seem to be incorrect. Anyway, the original Barbie body is not realistic. The dimensions are not realistic. The obese doll is not a good option as too much fat acceptance is unhealthy in general. A doll which represents a real woman's body is what we need. This obese doll is just going from on extreme to the other.

Last edited:

Barbie is the epitome of fashion and popularity...good looks, boyfriend, nice car, home etc.
Barbie is all that is material wealth and good looks. You can not compare the Raggedy-Ann doll with that.

I would say Barbie makes a better role model than Marilyn Monroe.

Those scrawny arms are downright creepy.

An 18" waist seems way too small, not normal for female of 19 years old.

The comparison is to a Raggedy Ann Doll..not Marilyn Monroe.

I find it odd the "plus sized" women here idealize a woman who was size 4 most of her career, but choose to idealize her in her late career, when she gained weight(still only a size 12 not obese or seriously overweight) and started using drugs heavily.

I find it odd the "plus sized" women here idealize a woman who was size 4 most of her career, but choose to idealize her in her late career, when she gained weight(still only a size 12 not obese or seriously overweight) and started using drugs heavily.

Who here said they were 'plus sized'?

A couple of years ago, we went to Branson MO for a River Dance performance. first, there was no place to eat good food. It was all fatty crap, fat food joints and fat people. The dinner shows all had real shit for their food. We damn near starved because there wasn't anyplace decent to eat.

But, interestingly, when we went through the Titanic museum, we were struck by how small the grand staircase was. The museum is supposedly famous for its accuracy so we asked ...

We were told that the museum version is actually much bigger than the original in the Titanic. They had to build it bigger because we are bigger now.

IMO, the problem with making a fatter Barbie is the same it has been for making the inhuman skinny one - Both give little girls something to strive for. Its bad enough that people are getting fatter and fatter and more and more diabetes. How about we make dolls that look normal and make that the standard for little girls to want to be?

Exactly.

And normal is neither anorexic nor plus.

It would take surgery to look like Barbie, it doesn't take surgery to be a normal size. Size 14 is the average (aka normal) dress size in the US, and anything above 12 is considered plus size. I guess that makes you wrong.

A couple of years ago, we went to Branson MO for a River Dance performance. first, there was no place to eat good food. It was all fatty crap, fat food joints and fat people. The dinner shows all had real shit for their food. We damn near starved because there wasn't anyplace decent to eat.

But, interestingly, when we went through the Titanic museum, we were struck by how small the grand staircase was. The museum is supposedly famous for its accuracy so we asked ...

We were told that the museum version is actually much bigger than the original in the Titanic. They had to build it bigger because we are bigger now.

IMO, the problem with making a fatter Barbie is the same it has been for making the inhuman skinny one - Both give little girls something to strive for. Its bad enough that people are getting fatter and fatter and more and more diabetes. How about we make dolls that look normal and make that the standard for little girls to want to be?

Exactly.

And normal is neither anorexic nor plus.

It would take surgery to look like Barbie, it doesn't take surgery to be a normal size. Size 14 is the average (aka normal) dress size in the US, and anything above 12 is considered plus size. I guess that makes you wrong.

I don't think so. I'm not sure, but I think plus sizes are at least 18, and definitely above that. Fourteen, I doubt that is a plus size. Also, my understanding is that sizes have actually changed. What used to be a 4, for example, is now a 2, and a current 6 is what used to be an 8, etc. So, women think they are wearing a smaller size and are happier with that illusion, but this is something else I'm not sure of. My experience is that sizes vary according to the manufacturer. I can wear anything within a rage of 3 sizes depending on the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Real men like a woman with nice curves in all the right places. Who wants a women built like a teenaged boy with a stuffed bra?

Fat like plus sized barbie does not equal curvy. And men have different preferences, like women.

So fuck off with your pro fat propaganda.

Overweight and obese people are disgusting.

fuck you iceman, dont you and maverick have a date in the mens shower shower room you need to get to :cool:

The comparison is to a Raggedy Ann Doll..not Marilyn Monroe.

Really ... ?

Fashion, Popularity, Looks, Boyfriends, Nice Car and Home ... Then add two pages of Marilyn Monroe pictures.
I believe there was a comparison made there ... And Marilyn could have been considered to have all of those things going for her.
I wasn't talking about Raggedy Ann ... I was referring to your description of Barbie.

Does Barbie's Playhouse come with police tape and a chalk-line in the bedroom?

Forum List

Back