Is it possible to arrest the president of the United States?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
I'm not trying to pick a fight on this one but I really don't see why one government can't arrest officials from another government. I definately don't see anything in the constitution that forbids that from happening.

thoughts....

I'm not trying to pick a fight on this one but I really don't see why one government can't arrest officials from another government. I definately don't see anything in the constitution that forbids that from happening.

thoughts....

You're an idiot who makes stupid threads. But do kerry on. With each new thread, you give me more reasons as to why I would never want to be a republican. But don't fret, Rdean does the same with every thread creation on the Democrat side. :thup:

First: Stop creating threads with the same shit, you already got a couple going.

Second: You're an Idiot.

Third: Your asking for a Ban. ;)

First: Stop creating threads with the same shit, you already got a couple going.

I'm willing to bet she thinks Obama follows her around like Michael Myers. But you see what happens when we allow patients in the mental institutions have internet access? :eusa_whistle:

• Banned

The other threads were jokes that probably should go in the humor section but this one is serious and just required a yes or no answer and why you think that.

The other threads were jokes that probably should go in the humor section but this one is serious and just required a yes or no answer and why you think that.

I agree, all of your posts should go in the humor section. This one too. :cool:

Technically. Yes. The President is not exempt from the law, so he can be legally arrested for the same reasons as any other person in the US.

However, in reality it isn't so easy. The President is protected by the Secret Service, and it is not likely that any law officer will be allowed to simply walk up to the President and place him under arrest. If it ever came to arresting the President, it would be a very delicate situation. In my opinion, the matter would be legally dragged out so that any actual arrest (if justified) would take place after the President leaves office, either after the end of the term, resignation, or removal from office as a result of impeachment actions.

Also take into account that all Federal Agencies with arrest powers report to the President through their directors. So in reality, there really isn't anyone to arrest a sitting President without it being considered a coup d'etat.

Its a perfectly valid question.

Sure it is. Until you put it into context with the rest of her posts in the last couple hours. Including about Obama should be arrested when he goes into Arizona.

I mean the obvious answer is what you said. Even someone who never passed high school and didn't take US History knows even the President can't commit crimes without something happening.

Though I don't think Obama is going to go Patrick Bateman any time soon. :lol:

Sure it is. Until you put it into context with the rest of her posts in the last couple hours. Including about Obama should be arrested when he goes into Arizona.

I mean the obvious answer is what you said. Even someone who never passed high school and didn't take US History knows even the President can't commit crimes without something happening.

unless you're Clinton.

Then take your sniping to those threads and quit trolling this guy while he asks a perfectly valid question. :cool:

It is not a valid question. The law has to do with illegals, the president is an American citizen.

I'd like to see these Arizona cops try to pull him and the secret service over.

No sitting President has ever been arrested. Civily, a President enjoys absolute immunity for actions while in office, per the US SC.

Unless it was a serious felony commited in the individual state police officers presence to permit a warrantless arrest, you will find the SS will not permit an arrest. If the crime is serious enough, but not immediately crucial, any state is free to Indict him.

Once Indicted, then the court battles start.

Technically. Yes. The President is not exempt from the law, so he can be legally arrested for the same reasons as any other person in the US.

However, in reality it isn't so easy. The President is protected by the Secret Service, and it is not likely that any law officer will be allowed to simply walk up to the President and place him under arrest. If it ever came to arresting the President, it would be a very delicate situation. In my opinion, the matter would be legally dragged out so that any actual arrest (if justified) would take place after the President leaves office, either after the end of the term, resignation, or removal from office as a result of impeachment actions.

So, if USMB was a country, and you were the VP (only far smarter than Biden), could you arrest a poster for generally being an asshole?

thoughts....

Nothing in the constitution ihophefails, but there a specific grant of the power to enter treaties with other nations. Some officials of other nations are immune to arrest by the US (to a degree) because we have a treaty under we each agreed to give the other's officials of certain types diplomatic immunity.

Beyond that, we need grounds for an arrest if the only authority we're relying on is our own. (If we are acting as part of the World Court, etc., the body of law involved is wholly separate.) So if the PM of India, say, flies here for a visit and burgles your home whilst he's here...maybe we can arrest him for it. Depends on his diplomatic status. If, on the other hand, he burgles the home of your cousin, a resident of Mumbai, then no. The US cannot arrest him for that crime as we would have no grounds.

Now, if he planned to commit the burglarly on your cousin's Mumbai home whilst in the US and bought burglary tools here for that purpose, well, maybe then. Gets very gray very fast.

He can be removed from office during his term of four years only by impeachment and Senate conviction.

So there doesn't seem to be any point in "arresting" the President and it would be of very dubious legality to even try. AFTER an impeachment and a Senate conviction lead to his removal from office, I suppose he could be rationally arrested for a crime committed IN office, though.

I know the FBI won't arrest the president since they work for him but what about state and local municipalities. I know the president is a powerful figure but does that give him the legal power to be immune from local laws? My hypothetical situation is that if the president beat his wife in XYZ jurisdiction and do so demands immediate jail time for six months. Would the president of the United States be immune to those laws just because he is a member of the federal government.

I hope people realize that the answer is no but more importantly this idea could be a useful tool for checking the federal government. States can investigate other members of the federal government on their own and place appropriate penalties onto them.

A state could investigate any happening inside the federal government it wants and even create laws that bar federal officials from doing certain things. Of course, those laws would only apply within the jurisdiction of the state itself and the federal courts could intervene in cases between citizens of two different states and settle the matter their.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back