Is it possible that the allegorical account of a great flood is true?

The dogma is sola scriptura and sola fide. Your Catholicism wants works included and more, so our Catholicism vs. Protestantism are different. Bottom line for both of us is the creed is what we believe in and what we have faith in. You can use it to compare to JW, Mormons, Christian Scientists to see that they do not follow it. I print out the Nicene Creed and give it to JW who come to the door and then leave me alone. I'll talk to them though if they seem interesting. Ofc, the atheists are even further off. It goes to show Satan put false teachers in their churches and atheists were led to their "wide gate" with evolution or Satan's Antibible.
That’s not my take. My take is that we believe everything is through the grace of God and as we progress in our walk with God the fabric of our identity will change for the better and as the fabric of our identity changes we will produce better fruit (works) such that the fruit we produce is confirmation that we walk with God.

conversely if we make the claim that we walk with God and there are no external signs (works) then we haven’t really changed and our words are just lip service.

so what I have just written is nothing like your perception of what my faith taught me.

So, what makes you different from JW, Christian Scientists, and Mormons? Those people sacrifice much of their lives to do good. If you go by sola scriptura and sola fide, then salvation isn't tied to works. Otherwise a good atheist may be able to qualify for heaven. The way it works is once you have the sincere faith as per the creed, then the Holy Spirit reveals himself to you and Jesus comes into your heart. I doubt that this has happened for you. You become born again. You asked me what John 3:16 and John 14:6 meant. Those are God's one commandment.

Thus, good luck to you with your beliefs. Only you can repent and then be able to find the way, the truth, and the life. It is tied to the metaphor of the narrow gate and door.

I wouldn't think the Catholics would understand everything that you state and what a Christian is. I understand what you are saying, but to me it appears that Satan has put a false teacher as you to get you to believe what you do. I can understand if you don't listen to the Protestants like me, but it's hard to figure out what you represent and what your source is if it doesn't follow Catholicism either. I explained what I could in a brief post. It's a lot of things that normally happen over time as one becomes a church member. It's the religion part.

ETA: I apologize as this isn't the place for religion to other forum members, but I think it's better you get something to ground your faith in than nothing. Someone told me that I should focus on the believers instead of the atheists, and I've repented and am trying to follow that way of thinking. The atheists are for creation vs. evolution and not for religion. They already wrongly claim creation science is religion.
You mean besides I believe in the Trinity?

there is nothing I have said on this board that you can’t find in the catechism of the Catholic Church.

be honest, you are biased against Catholics.

A Christian is anyone who believes that God loved man so much that he chose to be born into this world to testify to the truth and suffer death to reconcile justice with mercy.
A very encompassing definition. Nice. Of course it includes David Koresh and Jim Jones, Catholic inquisitors, the Eastern Orthodox, and Mormons. Quite a mixed bag.

A Christian is anyone who believes that God loved man so much that he chose to be born into this world to testify to the truth and suffer death to reconcile justice with mercy.
A very encompassing definition. Nice. Of course it includes David Koresh and Jim Jones, Catholic inquisitors, the Eastern Orthodox, and Mormons. Quite a mixed bag.
Says you. I say it encompasses the essential belief. I can’t think of any other way to capture the key belief in fewer words. If one rejects any aspect of that statement I don’t see how he could be a Christian. If one accepts every aspect of that statement I don’t see how he couldn’t be a Christian.

What do you believe makes someone a Christian?

I think your definition is as good a one as I've seen but I'm even more liberal, if someone tells me they are a Christian, I believe them.

Says you. I say it encompasses the essential belief. I can’t think of any other way to capture the key belief in fewer words. If one rejects any aspect of that statement I don’t see how he could be a Christian. If one accepts every aspect of that statement I don’t see how he couldn’t be a Christian.
I have no problem with your definition, I only note that many people I consider evil fall under that definition.

there is nothing I have said on this board that you can’t find in the catechism of the Catholic Church.

I have nothing against Catholics. What makes you think that?

What I am pointing out is your takes on Catholicism are not complete in addition to disagreeing with you about Genesis being allegorical. Furthermore, the things you say show you do not have a Catholicism source. Otherwise, you would know about most of the things I described earlier. Most people wouldn't even question you about but just think you're mistaken. Look, I can only point these things out and not trying to discourage you but what's the point if you miss our on God's one commandment?

In regards to science, what I am pointing out are your errors such as 15 gigatons of ice would not cause a global flood. When did this happen? How is it described in the Bible. What evidence do you have for it? It doesn't even cause a local flood from Archimedes Principle. Also, your reference to an allegorical account of a great flood in Genesis makes no sense. It was a GLOBAL FLOOD in Genesis and it was not allegory. Why would anyone believe that since you would not know what happened? Moreover you do not know about the Biblical prophecies which ARE allegorical.

Google gigatons of ice melt and see where it is happening today. It's part of the warming cycle we are going through.

Aside from the science, I don't have a bone to pick with you. You can believe whatever you want to believe and I won't bring it up anymore unless someone attacks or questions the Bible based on what you state.

Last edited:
I have no problem with your definition, I only note that many people I consider evil fall under that definition.
I see. You have an unrealistic expectation then.

or maybe you are just perfect. You’d be only the third person to pull off that trick and one of them was fully God and fully human.

I think your definition is as good a one as I've seen but I'm even more liberal, if someone tells me they are a Christian, I believe them.
I don’t believe that was the question I was asked.

I have nothing against Catholics. What makes you think that?

What I am pointing out is your takes on Catholicism are not complete in addition to disagreeing with you about Genesis being allegorical. Furthermore, the things you say show you do not have a Catholicism source. Otherwise, you would know about most of the things I described earlier. Most people wouldn't even question you about but just think you're mistaken. Look, I can only point these things out and not trying to discourage you but what's the point if you miss our on God's one commandment?

In regards to science, what I am pointing out are your errors such as 15 gigatons of ice would not cause a global flood. When did this happen? How is it described in the Bible. What evidence do you have for it? It doesn't even cause a local flood from Archimedes Principle. Also, your reference to an allegorical account of a great flood in Genesis makes no sense. It was a GLOBAL FLOOD in Genesis and it was not allegory. Why would anyone believe that since you would not know what happened? Moreover you do not know about the Biblical prophecies which ARE allegorical.

Google gigatons of ice melt and see where it is happening today. It's part of the warming cycle we are going through.

Aside from the science, I don't have a bone to pick with you. You can believe whatever you want to believe and I won't bring it up anymore unless someone attacks or questions the Bible based on what you state.
you don’t know what Catholics believe. You have never read the catechism. Read the catechism and show me where my beliefs disagree.

why are you so worried if my beliefs conflict with the church? What’s it to you anyway?

It is ironic that we all end up discussing religion when getting down to the nitty gritty of science. I think both of you are wrong about being a Christian and I'll explain why. However, it's not one of those things that make you go aha. To understand it, one has to understand God and that takes some experience.

Briefly, it is more about OBEY than doing what you think is good. This isn't easily understood as God doesn't want robots. He gave us free will. The crux of what God wants goes back to Adam's sin. One has to understand what was the sin and then it becomes more clear. God gave us the Ten Commandments to show us that none of us are sinless. If you look at the first commandment, then this is what he wants us to obey the most. This is much more important than doing good. God knows that if you can do that, then the rest will follow.

It is ironic that we all end up discussing religion when getting down to the nitty gritty of science. I think both of you are wrong about being a Christian and I'll explain why. However, it's not one of those things that make you go aha. To understand it, one has to understand God and that takes some experience.

Briefly, it is more about OBEY than doing what you think is good. This isn't easily understood as God doesn't want robots. He gave us free will. The crux of what God wants goes back to Adam's sin. One has to understand what was the sin and then it becomes more clear. God gave us the Ten Commandments to show us that none of us are sinless. If you look at the first commandment, then this is what he wants us to obey the most. This is much more important than doing good. God knows that if you can do that, then the rest will follow.
I was more than happy to stay on the topic.

there is scientific evidence that an asteroid impact in the northern polar region of the globe that may be the source of the flood accounts that all ancient civilizations have.

this strike would have unleashed 700 gigatons of tnt equivalents energy that would have vaporized 1500 gigatons of ice and disrupted the climate of the planet for years. One outcome would have been unprecedented rain around the planet that would have led to floods all around the planets which would have been outside of anything that had been experienced in their usual weather patterns. In other words it would have been note worthy.

if someone tells me they are a Christian, I believe them.
I believe I did. If someone believes they are a Christian, that is good enough for me to accept them as Christian. I'm probably the last person qualified to judge others.
I don’t believe you did. Can you show me?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus is also credited with the parable of the Sheep and the Goats.

I believe I did. If someone believes they are a Christian, that is good enough for me to accept them as Christian. I'm probably the last person qualified to judge others.
I don’t believe you did. Can you show me?
Apparently not, you don't seem to be able to accept my answer.

I was more than happy to stay on the topic.

there is scientific evidence that an asteroid impact in the northern polar region of the globe that may be the source of the flood accounts that all ancient civilizations have.

this strike would have unleashed 700 gigatons of tnt equivalents energy that would have vaporized 1500 gigatons of ice and disrupted the climate of the planet for years. One outcome would have been unprecedented rain around the planet that would have led to floods all around the planets which would have been outside of anything that had been experienced in their usual weather patterns. In other words it would have been note worthy.

When was this?

That's the spirit. Where one diverges is in forums like this when people explain their beliefs. It is always the creeds one goes to if there are any questions.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus is also credited with the parable of the Sheep and the Goats.

Yes, I agree now that this is the greatest commandment. Jesus is Lord. It is more positive than the first commandment. I was thinking how we are misled and even if we know what is right like Adam and Eve end up the way we are today. And the second is the golden rule. Very nice.

It’s not surprising that religion (Christianity), tends to get inserted into science discussions. Christianity is, afterall, a proselytizing religion. It’s pretty typical that religo’s will try and spackle their gods into every nook and cranny that are science matters. Interestingly, outside of Christian and Moslem fundamentalism, there doesn’t exist an organized anti-science movement.

Forum List

Back