CDZ Is it inhumane to not assist with requested suicide?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
My Sister-In-Law is working part time at a nursing home and some of what she sees and tells me is tragic. There are people who have lost all control of their body and to them life is staring up at the ceiling from their bed. They wear a diaper and have to be lifted with a hoist out of the bed to be taken to the bathroom and cleaned like a baby. The Netherlands has assisted suicide and that seems to be the most humane option for people at end of life that request it. When I get older and if the US doesn't have similar laws in place, I will have my own "exit strategy" because I refuse to go out like that. The key is "requested" because we don't want the State deciding, but the option should be there.

We consider it humane to "put down" animals when they are old and suffering, yet humans are denied this option when they are old and suffering. Interesting!

Tickets to the Netherlands are available. Leave today avoid the rush.
So you disagree with me and suggest I go to the Netherlands and kill myself? Not an appropriate response for CDZ.

My point was, if access to legal assisted suicide is so important to you and may others, you should make that readily available. As I do not know your health status whether you require it soon is a mystery to me. If I did know you were terminal, suggesting you go would be humane according to you and a completely appropriate response.

We consider it humane to "put down" animals when they are old and suffering, yet humans are denied this option when they are old and suffering. Interesting!

Humans have souls which makes them different from animals. We also consider it humane to dismember unwanted human fetuses. So the definition needs work.

Humans have souls which makes them different from animals. We also consider it humane to dismember unwanted human fetuses. So the definition needs work.
Is the human soul better off by suffering in extreme pain the final days of the body's life?

Is the human soul better off by suffering in extreme pain the final days of the body's life?

Why do you think a human soul feels physical pain? Can pain serve a purpose?

Because humans feel pain. Yes, pain can serve a purpose. Usually the purpose is to identify a problem that can be fixed so the pain can be relieved. Are you going to answer my question?

The point of the OP is not to discuss the existence or not of a soul or the subject of pain. Is it or is it not inhumane to assist helpless people with suicide if they request it? I believe it is inhumane to not assist them. If you disagree with that, state why.

Because humans feel pain. Yes, pain can serve a purpose. Usually the purpose is to identify a problem that can be fixed so the pain can be relieved. Are you going to answer my question?

That does not mean a soul feels human pain, you assume. I did answer your question, you chose to ignore the message.

The point of the OP is not to discuss the existence or not of a soul or the subject of pain. Is it or is it not inhumane to assist helpless people with suicide if they request it? I believe it is inhumane to not assist them. If you disagree with that, state why.

I did, you have decided it is not relevant, to which I disagree. Certainly the life after this world is highly related, as you point out the current one is almost over.

So you disagree with me and suggest I go to the Netherlands and kill myself? Not an appropriate response for CDZ.

Not appropriate at all.

Anybody looking for a flame war, tickets to the flame zone are available for FREE.

You should report him.

How is suggesting you go where the laws you want already exist? Seems like you two are flaming.

Not appropriate at all.

Anybody looking for a flame war, tickets to the flame zone are available for FREE.

You should report him.

How is suggesting you go where the laws you want already exist? Seems like you two are flaming.

Keep it coming, I bet somebody is gonna do something about it at some point......

My Sister-In-Law is working part time at a nursing home and some of what she sees and tells me is tragic. There are people who have lost all control of their body and to them life is staring up at the ceiling from their bed. They wear a diaper and have to be lifted with a hoist out of the bed to be taken to the bathroom and cleaned like a baby. The Netherlands has assisted suicide and that seems to be the most humane option for people at end of life that request it. When I get older and if the US doesn't have similar laws in place, I will have my own "exit strategy" because I refuse to go out like that. The key is "requested" because we don't want the State deciding, but the option should be there.

It's legal here in the PNW, for those with terminal conditions, and who have made the decision with all the faculties to decide. Best to have a living will, I should think.

Last edited:

Not appropriate at all.

You should report him.

Keep it coming, I bet somebody is gonna do something about it at some point......

You realize the rules state you must state a fact or relevant comment to the OP, but can add other comments correct? My post is completely within the rules. You on the other hand just posted a flame. Since the inferred point is many people wish to take advantage, getting there early is important as immigration may be restricted in the future.

That does not mean a soul feels human pain, you assume. I did answer your question, you chose to ignore the message.
No, you asked me two questions, both of which I answered. Do you somehow believe that your questions answered my question? I don't.

I have no problem with assisted suicide AS LONG AS the final action needed to activate the fatal implement is controlled 100% by the individual who wishes to die.

If the soul is so disconnected from the body, then what does it matter if the body dies?

Forum List

Back