Is Christianity inherently "liberal" or "anti-fascist"?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
by order of the peaky fookin blinders
For example

So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:29

It's not liberal in the sense that all profits should go to the government for redistribution, nor does Christianity believe that people must be forced to perform charity. And it's not anti-fascist because well, "Render unto Caesar."

Romans were pretty much fascists, weren't they?

For example

So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:29
More liberal than not when it comes to people making personal choices as long as those choices do not impede on another person's rights.

For example

It's whatever the particular Christian wants it to be. Same as any other religion.

It's not liberal in the sense that all profits should go to the government for redistribution, nor does Christianity believe that people must be forced to perform charity. And it's not anti-fascist because well, "Render unto Caesar."

Romans were pretty much fascists, weren't they?

The Rich and the Kingdom of God”G)

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect,H)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23784H" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> go, sell your possessions and give to the poor,I)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23784I" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and you will have treasure in heaven.J)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23784J" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is richK)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23786K" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 19:16-24 - New International Version

Render unto Ceasar could pretty much also mean render to big government for redistrubition or to stalin or to hitler etc. or to soviets and northkorea. I think first is gods kingdom second is secular kingdom. I dont think this has meaning we should just obey everything "caesar" or government does. And no romans were not fascists, romans were a multicultural empire civilisation.

For example

More liberal than not when it comes to people making personal choices as long as those choices do not impede on another person's rights.

And this implies what exactly? What do you mean? I agree with people making personal choices yes, but not every choice. And Jesus wouldnt agree with every choice, if its against christianity this choice is not legit.

For example
Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

For example

And this implies what exactly? What do you mean? I agree with people making personal choices yes, but not every choice. And Jesus wouldnt agree with every choice, if its against christianity this choice is not legit.

For example
Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Regardless of how Jesus appeared in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, Jesus won't be the long-haired hippy peacenik as He's characterized. We're more likely to see a pissed-off warrior coming to bring judgement. It won't be very pretty for most people, probably myself included. At least I'm being honest about it.

For example

Dear Mortimer
For Jesus to fulfill the laws and paths of both the Jews / Believers under Scriptural authority of the Church and the Secular Gentiles / nontheists under civil and natural laws of the State, this points to Jesus as meaning Equal Justice Under Law for all people.

This is both the inclusion that liberals proclaim, and the rule of law that conservatives enforce. So Jesus as Justice satisfies both and unites all people as one.

As for fascism or anti-fascism, you get the justice you invoke. As you judge others shall you be judged. If you forgive others and practice restorative justice with mercy, so shall you be forgiven and granted mercy. If you invoke the sword of retributive justice, you meet with the same sword. you shall reap what you sow . Thus Jesus as Justice represents a double edged sword. You shall be held to your own words. So the Bible instructs to judge not, but judge righteous judgment.

Judgment day will be like each person being held to the very principles they used to judge others. Whether you preached and judged others by liberal beliefs, or conservative. By Christian or secular. You will be held to account based on what you preached. This all ppl will find none of us perfect, but all falling short and all have been hypocrites judging others for what we fail to do as well. Thus we will find ourselves equal, all in need of Justice with Mercy and in need of corrections. Thus all humanity will come to recognizing our own faults in receiving justice , establishing Truth, and making peace.

For example

For example

Regardless of how Jesus appeared in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, Jesus won't be the long-haired hippy peacenik as He's characterized. We're more likely to see a pissed-off warrior coming to bring judgement. It won't be very pretty for most people, probably myself included. At least I'm being honest about it.

Jesus is both. But not a Hippie thats where I agree. But he was for peace definitely. And in church they still "gods peace with you". God is for peace, thats for sure.

For example

For example

Jesus is both. But not a Hippie thats where I agree. But he was for peace definitely. And in church they still "gods peace with you". God is for peace, thats for sure.
Yes Mortimer
Peace is part of the Holy Spirit
And Comfort that is received along with Jesus. God representing divine truth wisdom and perfect love. Jesus as Justice that corrects and redeems all wrongs, and the Holy Spirit as Mercy which brings Heavenly Peace and end of human suffering.

For example

For example
People are human and humans make mistakes good and bad until they are fully mature and awakened in the spirit. If a person was too scared to try to walk would they ever get over crawling around on the floor?

When we receive breath everything is included in it in the way of heavenly and earthly hosts from A to Z (these have been written about throughout history and are named in the Bible). That day a living soul was made it came with everything needed in it to overcome the carnal precepts of the world yet it is a growing process just like a baby going from the crawling stage into the walking upright stage, Genesis Chapter 2. Different people have different precepts and that also is a portion of the maturing process. A five year old does not have the same knowledge or life experience as a twenty year old has. If we keep the commandments and love one another enough to not desire that they be destroyed we generally call our self a Christian. If one lives by faith and follows with that faith they call themselves a Jew, you could technically be a Christian and a Jew both spiritually. The religious and religions all have their own spins on what it is and what it should be but the whole word from Genesis to Revelation is what I believe in. In that am I going to prevent a sinner from doing his/her own thing if they are only hurting themselves? No, as the word says not to. I could warn them that they are endangering themselves (spiritually speaking) but even then it will still be a personal choice that they ultimately have to make.

Dear Mortimer I thought of one other thing you might mean that often leads to fascist/antifascist splits. The fact that the Bible and Jesus refer to Secular Gentiles under natural laws and believers under Scriptural laws and authority. Because of the notion of separating sheep from goats, rendering unto caesar what is Caesars and unto God what is God's, this emphasizes some process of "segregation" . It's supposed to mean recognition of distinct laws and roles for the purpose of harmonizing, checks and balances, and using both faith and reason to make solid decisions in agreement with unifying universal truth. But when human politics gets involved, this "segregation" can get exploited for blame and greed for power, divided by them vs us, rich vs poor, secular left vs religious right, have and have nots etc etc. So that selfish greed for power and dominance infects group Dynamics and leads to the fascist/antifascist battles.

Your question is does Christianity somehow set this up inherently, either the antifascist side, as you bring up, or the fascist side other ppl question based on history of abusing religion to justify condemning or cutting off infidels. Again, it's human nature first to be under separate tribal laws and authority. Just because Christianity points this out doesn't mean it's the source of it. People question then why is Christian history so full of wars and imposition judging others, while Buddhism doesn't have a history of war and violence to convert anyone? Christianity is more proactive in terms of reaching outward to express faith and charity to help others as a duty. So that proactive external nature mixed with human politics again leads to exposing conflicts although they already existed. Buddhism may teach more internalized focus and tolerance by not depending on external situations in order to find peace spiritually. But Buddhism also is not as proactive in connecting and uniting as many ppl and groups in spirit as Christianity achieves, so this good that Christianity does in being more outward outweighs the problems caused with mixing religious outreach with the social politics and problems humanity already faces regardless. Avoiding imposition or divisive situations doesn't resolve them. If you are asking does Christianity inherently enforce or address these, yes and no. The divisions already exists, Christianity is definitely used to address them for the purpose of reconciling , but yes Christianity and any religions have been abused to make conflicts worse by taking sides and start blaming one group or another, where either side can accuse the other of being the fascist side to which the other believes it is seeking remedy. In truth, the path of Restorative Justice or Christ Jesus is not to dominate or subjugate one side more than the other but to correct faults on both sides to restore good faith relations between equal neighbors in Christ . The abuse of religion to divide is not the ideal msg in Christianity but this division and war is warned about in the Bible and confused and mistaken as the focus when it isn't. So that is often blamed on Christian's who take that wrong as justification for rejecting judging and warring against others.

Forum List

Back