Is anyone into luxury/fashion watches?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I have never understood the appeal of wearing a big clunky piece of metal around my wrist to tell time. And that was even before cell phones that are always telling you what time it is. I honestly don't get it. What am I missing here? I know there are a lot of people who love watches and that's fine, I just don't understand why. :confused-84:

I have never understood the appeal of wearing a big clunky piece of metal around my wrist to tell time. And that was even before cell phones that are always telling you what time it is. I honestly don't get it. What am I missing here? I know there are a lot of people who love watches and that's fine, I just don't understand why. :confused-84:
Galaxy Watch 3.

No need for anything else. Didn't think I'd like it, but I LOVE it.

That's cool, but why do you love it? Is it a smart watch?

Yes, it's a smart watch. It's my little wrist Hitler. It makes me get up when I sit too long. Tracks my heart rate, my blood pressure. How many steps I take, stairs climbed. Has my emails, messages. I can take phone calls. Timers, calendars, voice recorder. It's a really useful little device.

Oh, and the Apple watch can do all the same things, I'm just in the Android eco system.

• Banned
Yes, it's a smart watch. It's my little wrist Hitler. It makes me get up when I sit too long. Tracks my heart rate, my blood pressure. How many steps I take, stairs climbed. Has my emails, messages. I can take phone calls. Timers, calendars, voice recorder. It's a really useful little device.

Oh, and the Apple watch can do all the same things, I'm just in the Android eco system.
Interesting. That sounds too much like work to me but we are all different. And that's a good thing.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a friend who worked for some prince in Dubai or some shit and he gave her a gigantic gaudy Cartier watch, and it hurt my arm just to watch her lift hers when she was wearing it.

Hubby got me a slender, classy gold plated Seiko for our first Christmas and I still love it today, 35 years later.

I wear a huge ugly watch . . . for diving. The thing almost qualifies as a weight belt by itself.

Thanks. You too.

It's been 14 for me. I don't know about you, but even though I was in my 40s, it wasn't until I couldn't call him up for advice on those rare occasions that I felt truly grown-up. Sounds funny when I read it...

My dad died 6 years ago, my mom a year and a half. I feel your pain.

I also recognize that I have grandchildren, and that I will be in the next round of losses.

My next major event is retirement, in a few years. But the one after that is death. Such a strange idea.

I wear a smart watch that's tied to my phone. So easy to take calls while working without fumbling for a phone. Most days I just leave my phone in the truck.

Why do people decorate their faces and other body parts with ugly studs and rings? I still wear a watch and I don't carry a cell phone. Does that make me weird?

Why do people decorate their faces and other body parts with ugly studs and rings? I still wear a watch and I don't carry a cell phone. Does that make me weird?
I might wear my watch if I could find it, but my old flip phone stays in the car for road emergencies. I like living in the 50's.

I've got a pretty good collection of luxury watches, but not so much "fashion" watches.

My daily wear go-to pieces are a Breitling Colt 43 and an Omega Seamaster 300. I'm a big guy, with 9.5" wrists, so it's rare I'll wear something less than a 40mm (the Omega's a 41mm).

When I wear a tux, I'll wear my Edouard Lauzières, which is 38mm. I suppose it would be considered a "micro brand". It was only a few hundred dollars, but it's a nice, classy look and it's Swiss made:

2662007660_1268c772a4_o.jpg

This is my Oris WIlliams F1. I bought it in 2005 in San Diego. The dealer told me that I should send it in every three to four years for service, which can cost $300-$400. I've never done that, and it remains the most accurate automatic watch I own:

2452144979_98972f5df0_o.jpg

This is one of my "grail" watches; the Omega Planet Ocean 45. I bought it from an online dealer in Texas:

5036775132_e3993494cd_o.jpg

I'm probably going to let this one go. It's my Breitling Avenger Seawolf, and I just don't wear it anymore., I prefer stainless steel, and this one is titanium:

4658572869_644ef85d92_o.jpg

I also have my late father's gold 1950 Hamilton, which is engraved with his initials on the back. It was his graduation present from my grandparents. It's in my safe deposit box, as it's simply irreplaceable. It's willed to my daughter, who also has my late stepfather's gold 1956 Omega Seamaster.

I need to take some more pictures. Until this thread, I didn't think about the fact that I have no shots of my Colt 43, the Omega 300, or my Dad's watch...

Forum List

Back