IRS Surrenders: Won't Check Whether Political Nonprofits Are Breaking The Law

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The Internal Revenue Service has decided to award most nonprofit groups tax exemption status without being screened, Time reported Sunday.

IRS Commissioner John Koskinen told Time that about 80 percent of charitable groups seeking tax exemption will go through a simplified application process. Groups that report total assets lower than $250,000 and an income of less than $50,000 can pay a $400 fee and fill out a three-page form to automatically be eligible to receive tax-deductible donations.

Prior to the change, the application process involved a 26-page form, and required groups to provide supporting documentation and outline their intended activities to be considered for tax-exempt status.

The new process, which Koskinen said will result in “efficiencies [that] will translate into a faster and better review,” is expected to significantly reduce the screening process designed to prevent fraudulent activity on the part of political groups.

MORE: IRS Surrenders, Won't Check Whether Political Nonprofits Are Breaking The Law

ORIGINAL SOURCE: IRS to Rubber-Stamp Tax-Exempt Status for Most Charities - TIME

Still smells fishy to me.

What alarmist bullshit. I can't believe that the most respected name in news, The Huffington Post, is engaging in this kind of yellow journalism. The fact that a former IRS division director is also joining in on the pandering to the gloom-and-doom crowd is also surprising.

I'll give the non-degree-holding crowd a short, simplified explanation: Thanks to President Obama's tireless efforts to increase government transparency and reduce senseless bureaucracy, it will now be a lot easier to register a 501(c)(3) charity. This has NOTHING to do with the scandal relating to political organizations, as 501(c)(3) organizations are expressly forbidden from political activity. That ex-director quoted by TIME is full of it. The regulations on 501(c)(3) groups are too strict to allow for the extreme levels of dark money to flow through them as have been pumped into 501(c)(4) pseudo-PACs.

What alarmist bullshit. I can't believe that the most respected name in news, The Huffington Post, is engaging in this kind of yellow journalism. The fact that a former IRS division director is also joining in on the pandering to the gloom-and-doom crowd is also surprising.

I'll give the non-degree-holding crowd a short, simplified explanation: Thanks to President Obama's tireless efforts to increase government transparency and reduce senseless bureaucracy, it will now be a lot easier to register a 501(c)(3) charity. This has NOTHING to do with the scandal relating to political organizations, as 501(c)(3) organizations are expressly forbidden from political activity. That ex-director quoted by TIME is full of it. The regulations on 501(c)(3) groups are too strict to allow for the extreme levels of dark money to flow through them as have been pumped into 501(c)(4) pseudo-PACs.

I disagree, but I'm getting too tired to discuss it. BTW, since when is Huffington Post "the most respected name in news"? I thought that was CNN.

One other thing, Obama has never been transparent in his presidency. When he can outright lie to someone like you, and you take the bait hook, line and sinker... only you would think he was 'transparent.'

There was a quote I once read from Harriet Tubman:

"I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if they only knew they were slaves."

Time to wake up pal.

Forum List

Back