Inverter Generators

So trying to sleep in 85 degree temps with 85% humidity is just a convenience?
The temperature and humidity are not the problem. That is actually quite pleasant -- find a little shade and chill out.

Mosquitoes are the problem. DEET and screening or netting are necessary to prevent major hemorrhage due to bites.

After being robbed of my tools at one auto parts store, robbed of my bank card at another, and falsely accused of a felony U-turn by the crooked cops to whom I reported the continual robberies, beatings, muggings, pickpocketing incidents, shootings, and other serious attempts on my life, I was able to obtain a new platinum spark plug and tune up my generator engine. She runs real smooth now, and delicate electronics are no problem. A previous customer who returned the generator to the store had complained of a lack of power: the old spark plug was dirty, (the auto parts store clerk violently seized it from me and hustled me out the door) ...

Where do you find shade at night?

And you're flat out wrong about being able to use a construction generator to power say a computer.

And you're flat out wrong about being able to use a construction generator to power say a computer.
My computer equipment is much cheaper than my generator, and has already survived much rough use. Look at the back of your computer power supply, and you'll see a little label that says it's rated for 100–240V 50–60Hz — computers run on really shitty UPS inverters. There shouldn't be a problem. Use a surge suppressor if you're worried about it.

My computer equipment is much cheaper than my generator, and has already survived much rough use. Look at the back of your computer power supply, and you'll see a little label that says it's rated for 100–240V 50–60Hz — computers run on really shitty UPS inverters. There shouldn't be a problem. Use a surge suppressor if you're worried about it.

Dont take my word for it.
I've given you links that say your flat out wrong and I could do so all day long.

Is that a selling point for inverters? Because inverter generators actually put out a square wave which is actually quite harsh on delicate electronics in comparison to a more or less natural sine wave from graphite brushes on a copper commutator.

Better off with a CPU inbetween. Charge batt with the gen, sine wave inverter other side. Other than electronics the rest needs no batt/inverter.

We use the Honda's at work .........very quiet and very reliable for small power needs..........I have and old coleman which still runs since Hurricane Ivan.......another portable 5500 one also ...............

The Honda is very reliable.....the coleman still runs but the shut off is jury rigged LOL

We use the Honda's at work .........very quiet and very reliable for small power needs..........I have and old coleman which still runs since Hurricane Ivan.......another portable 5500 one also ...............

The Honda is very reliable.....the coleman still runs but the shut off is jury rigged LOL

Yeah...
I've got a 5500 watt that runs off a Briggs and it's loud as hell!!!
According to the internet around 85 to 90 decibels which is the equivelent of,not surprisingly,a lawn mower.

While my Honda EU 7000 puts out way more juice and only runs at 52 decibels.
The sound of a refrigerator at one meter away,or birds twittering from fifteen meters.

If you're only going to use your generator at a jobsite where sound isnt an issue fine.
But if you want clean power and silence the inverter is the only way to go.
You can put the Honda behind the camper and you can barely hear it on the other side.
Ad some tunes or conversation and you wont even notice it.

Yeah...
According to the internet around 85 to 90 decibels which is the equivelent of,not surprisingly,a lawn mower.

The sound of a refrigerator at one meter away,or birds twittering from fifteen meters.

If you're only going to use your generator at a jobsite where sound isnt an issue fine.
You can put the Honda behind the camper and you can barely hear it on the other side.
We use the Honda a work .......yes it is quiet and reliable............my 5500 is loud........but my yard is big and cords long.........and only for after a Hurricane anyways..........LOL

Thats true.
My MacBook pro was $2500 and the Honda was $4800.
I'd say you're better off with the Honda beause $2500 is nothing to sneeze at,especially when you have to replcace it repeatedly.

As an electric utility employee I implore EVERYONE looking at generators.... PLEASE have them installed by a licensed electrician. Otherwise you put your home and the linemen at risk when you turn it on.

Whole house backup. Made in the USA.

generac-home-generator_guardian-16kw_200se_7037_hero.png
I'm damn glad I have one of these. It's a necessity in the people's republic of California. I've lived in third world countries with better electric service than this shit hole has. And that's not an exaggeration, it's the simple truth.

Yeah...

We use the Honda a work .......yes it is quiet and reliable............my 5500 is loud........but my yard is big and cords long.........and only for after a Hurricane anyways..........LOL

I bought the briggs powered genny for camping on Padre National Sea Shore.
All you gad to do was set up 150 foot from a dune and put it behind it.
Plus the wind alway comes out of the South that time of year so it wasn't bad at all.

I'm damn glad I have one of these. It's a necessity in the people's republic of California. I've lived in third world countries with better electric service than this shit hole has. And that's not an exaggeration, it's the simple truth.

I would have had one installed already but my area rarely loses power.
In the fifteen years we've been here the longest we've been without power was around three hours after a hurricane,and just long enough to drag my old noisy generator out and install a window unit in the bedroom.
It wasnt twenty minutes later that the power came back on.
Sorry fuckers.

In the fifteen years we've been here the longest we've been without power was around three hours after a hurricane,and just long enough to drag my old noisy generator out and install a window unit in the bedroom.
Sorry fuckers.
Katrina and Ivan we were down for almost 2 weeks each time........

Worst Hurricane for me was Frederick way back when..........eye went over the house......hardly anyone had a generator back then..........Now everyone has one.

Sorry fuckers.
Katrina and Ivan we were down for almost 2 weeks each time........

Worst Hurricane for me was Frederick way back when..........eye went over the house......hardly anyone had a generator back then..........Now everyone has one.

I've been lucky when it comes to power outages.
Lived on the Texas Gulf Coast for 50 years and never lost power for more than a day.
And the day was because some dipshit in a semi wiped out a power junction.

As an electric utility employee
= As a Democrat-voting ILWU member in good standing with the labor union ....
I implore EVERYONE looking at generators.... PLEASE have them installed by a licensed electrician.
All that licensure, bondage, and insurance paperwork is highly flammable and greatly increases the risk of fire in your home or local union hall.
Otherwise you put your home and the linemen at risk when you turn it on.
Oh please. The journeyman lineman has a ten-foot fiberglass pole, insulated gloves, he's standing in an ungrounded plastic bucket by a 4000V transformer, with rubber boots and he doesn't give a shit about your consumer electronics or lawnmower engine.

Sorry fuckers.
Mine goes out days at a time for almost any or no real reason at all. When you have an inept utility overseen by an inept government, the people have no chance.

Sorry fuckers.
Mine goes out days at a time for almost any or no real reason at all. When you have an inept utility overseen by an inept government, the people have no chance.
The government is inept, you say? They're the ones with the power to foreclose on your home if you don't pay your electric bill. Doesn't mean they have to keep the power on at all times. California has voluntary blackouts -- and the government is searching house to house for generators to confiscate. They can emergency-evacuate your home and declare it unfit for human occupancy due to electrical issues unless it is completely rewired by a licensed union electrician.

Sorry fuckers.
The government is inept, you say? They're the ones with the power to foreclose on your home if you don't pay your electric bill. Doesn't mean they have to keep the power on at all times. California has voluntary blackouts -- and the government is searching house to house for generators to confiscate. They can emergency-evacuate your home and declare it unfit for human occupancy due to electrical issues unless it is completely rewired by a licensed union electrician.
You've been smoking too much of that Californicated dope.

Sorry fuckers.
You've been smoking too much of that Californicated dope. And my gen was installed by a licensed electrician, shitforbrains.

I changed the oil in my generator.

It made a little bit of a mess, but no disaster, and I learned a little bit more how it works. The gas tank and the valve cover are both vented into the carburetor, and leaked gas and oil, which probably could have been avoided if I had used clothespins or something to secure the rubber hoses before tilting the engine that way.

Too much oil will spurt through the valve cover vent hose into the carburetor, make a mess, and cause the engine to belch black smoke, but you really never want to let an OHV engine run low on oil.

There was some brand new engine cruft in the oil that came out: a few very fine, shiny metal shavings and burrs, but otherwise it would have been nowhere near time to change the oil.

I also bought a 20-gallon shop compressor, which a customer had returned because it was blowing a circuit breaker. The compressor is only 120 volts, even though most compressors that size require 240 volts, because otherwise the start-up current is too heavy. I plug it straight into the RV outlet on the generator with an adapter, which works fine, since now I don't "need" 240 volts on anything with the generator.

Forum List

Back