Inverter Generators

I bought this last week but haven’t put the fluids in yet. I was going to buy a second one, but now I’m wondering if the second one should be that Firman. They are both $499

A05E8C3A-5E8A-4FC5-802E-904A44AB40C3.jpeg

When it comes to something like that, don't buy cheap bullshit.
I do not know for sure that Firman is cheap bullshit. Costco has very good quality control of what goes into their warehouses. Plus for 2 years I can take it back for a full refund.

I’m going to fire up that Yamaha later today and see how I like it. I’d like to be able to put refrigerator/chest freezer/internet/TV on one unit and put a portable AC and a few lights on the other unit. I just feel like it’s going to be a bad hurricane season with multiple blackouts. It gets too hot to not have that AC unit.

Inverters aren't for power outages.
Sure they are.
OK. For a brief period. They don't have the duty cycle needed for long term.I have a Makita 5000 that'll run well for a night or so and a Cummins 18KW for when shit gets real. There is a 235 gallon tank next to that one. The Makita holds 1 1/2 gallons.2-3 or so hours worth,depending on load
I'm also mostly off grid so the Big one gets fired about once a month for shits and giggles. I brought it down 15 years ago when I left Miami...for no good reason but yet it's another "prepared" item available.If the grid goes down the big one will easily run my whole metal shop.....at the $5/gal/hr they charge here for fuel.8 hour day would be $40 x 6=week x 4 =month.It would be nasty to have to do that.Some way out hotels buy 5 grand a month in generator fuel.
I used to make bio diesel for my Land Cruiser but haven't in a few years. That could also change, if needed.
If you're worried about a couple days after a hurricane a lil inverter will do. It does'nt need to run when you sleep.If it goes a month or more without power(like hurricane Andrew was) you'll wish you had a real generator

I found one slightly used (customer return) cheaper & better at Lowes. A Craftsman with a 197cc Briggs & Stratton engine and a 6-gallon fuel tank.

3500 watts. It's only 125 volts, though. There are regular-neutral-wired outlets, and also an RV plug with two 62.5-volt windings in series -- they call it a floating neutral -- there's a 27-amp breaker on that circuit.

Inverters aren't for power outages. Get a Honda or get diesel

Honda has inverter generators. And if you want to run delicate electronics like a computer you have no choice but to use an inverter type generator.

I have this one....
The largest inverter Honda makes. For the RV and house if the power goes out. It'll run one of my A/C's,one refrig and other appliances no problem.

1591043512818.png

And this one for light duty stuff..

1591043599006.png

Honda has inverter generators. And if you want to run delicate electronics like a computer you have no choice but to use an inverter type generator.
Is that a selling point for inverters? Because inverter generators actually put out a square wave which is actually quite harsh on delicate electronics in comparison to a more or less natural sine wave from graphite brushes on a copper commutator.

Inverters aren't for power outages. Get a Honda or get diesel

I have this one....
The largest inverter Honda makes. For the RV and house if the power goes out. It'll run one of my A/C's,one refrig and other appliances no problem.

View attachment 343985

And this one for light duty stuff..

View attachment 343986
New school I reckon...Mine are 15 and 30 years old.I wouldnt wire that digital piece of shit inline tho. It'd have to stand alone..

Thinking of buying this while it’s on sale.

The Firman name doesn’t necessarily thrill me. But I don’t know. It’s tax-free in Florida until Thursday, or through Thursday.
I have the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter generator...and I have to say...so far it has been outstanding. But. It was more than $500. I think I got it on sale for $625 and bought the four year warrantee for another $100.

Never heard of a firman....so can't help ya there.

Is that a selling point for inverters? Because inverter generators actually put out a square wave which is actually quite harsh on delicate electronics in comparison to a more or less natural sine wave from graphite brushes on a copper commutator.

You need to do some more reading.

Forum List

Back