Internet gun sales...they don't get sent to your house...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I'm watching a Timcast IRL segment from last night, and the resident left of center guy...Ian...says he didn't know that guns purchased online were not mailed to your house (@8:30).

Here's an explaination in case some of you don't understand how an internet retail gun sale works.

First, there are a few rare exceptions to this...like buying a firearm or a replica of a firearm made before 1899 (I believe) and also if the purchaser is also a federal firearm license holder.

But for Joe Blows like you and I...this is how buying a firearm online goes.

You find a gun you like on an online retailer like Bud's Guns.

Why would you need to do this?

Well, if you like strange, novel and totally impractical firearms like I do...your local brick and mortar store isn't likely to carry that kind of thing. Or, if you like super high quality (read super expensive) firearms...most gun stores are not going to have a large selection of those either.

Just like any business, the gun store stocks items that will have the most appeal to the widest cross section of consumers.

But that is the Why...this is the How.

I go online to an internet gun store like budsguns.com and I select something I like...a Bond Arms Protect the 2nd Amendment two shot derringer in 45 Colt...

(Yeah...I own one of these. Yes, I know it is totally impractical. I warned ya.)

Click BUY.

Buds asks for my credit card number and I complete the PURCHASE part of the order...

...now we go on to SHIPPING...

I am presented with a list of Federal Firearm License (FFL) holders in my area.

Some will be green...meaning their FFL license is already on file with Buds. Others are red...meaning if I want to have my firearm shipped to them, I must contact that FFL holder and have them fax a copy of their license to Buds before shipping can be arranged.

Under no circumstances will an online gun store ship a firearm to a non-FFL.

I choose a gun store from the list. That gun store will be responsible for the transfer of the firearm to me...and they can (and most will) charge a transfer fee of $10-$50+ for the transfer. My gun store used to allow free transfers, but now it's $10 for the transfer or the transfer is free with a purchase of at least $20 in merchandise (who can't use more Pmags?).

Buds arranges the shipping to my FFL and in about a week it arrives and the local gun store notifies me. I go to the gun store with my ID and fill out a background check form (ATF 4473) and the FFL does an online instant approval just as if I was buying the firearm directly from them.

I'll either be approved or declined. I've never been declined...and me and my firearm and my new Pmags go happily on our way.

This is actually a much longer process than simply buying in-stock firearms from my local gun store...which I could complete in a half hour start to finish from choosing a firearm through completing a background check and paying to leaving with my new firearm and no Pmags...cuz I really don't need any more Pmags.

So there you go...purchasing a firearm online explained. Cuz knowing is half the battle...

Last edited:
I'm watching a Timcast IRL segment from last night, and the resident left of center guy says he didn't know that guns purchased online were not mailed to your house (@8:30).

In case some of you don't understand how an internet retail gun sale works.

Now, there are a few rare exceptions to this...like buying a firearm or a replica of a firearm made before 1899 (I believe) and also if the purchaser is also a federal firearm license holder.

Why would you need to did this?

Well, if you like strange, novel and totally impractical firearms like I do...your local brick and mortar store isn't likely to carry that kind of thing. Or, if you like super high quality (read super expensive) firearms...most gun stores are not going to have a larger selection of those either. Just like any business, the gun store stocks items that will have the most appeal to the widest cross section of consumers.

So...I select something I like...a Bond Arms Protect the 2nd Amendment two shot derringer in 45 Colt

(Yeah...I own one of these. Yes, I know it is totally impractical. I warned ya.)

Click BUY.

Buds asks for my credit card number and I complete the PURCHASE part...

...now we go to SHIPPING...

Some will be green...meaning their FFL is already on file with Buds. Others are red...meaning if I want to have my firearm shipped to them, I must contact that FFL holder and have them fax a copy of their license to Buds before shipping can be arranged.

I choose a gun store from the list. That gun store will be responsible for the transfer of the firearm to me...and they can (and most will) charge a transfer fee of $10-$50+ for the transfer. My gun storeused to allow free transfers, but now it's $10 or purchase $20 in merchandise (who can't use more Pmags?).

Buds arranges the shipping to my FFL and in about a week it arrives and the local gun store notifies me. I go to the gun store with my ID and fill out a background check form (ATF 4473) and the FFL does an online instant approval just as if I was buying the firearm directly from them.

I'll either be approved or declined. I've never been declined...and me and my firearm and my new Pmags go happily on our way.

This is actually a much longer process than simply buying in-stock firearms from my local gun store...which I could complete in a half hour start to finish from choosing a firearm through completing a background check and paying to leaving with my new firearm and no Pmags...cuz I really don't need any more Pmags.

So there you go...purchasing a firearm online explained. Cuz knowing is half the battle...

be nice to Ian,, he does a lot of drugs,,,

I'm watching a Timcast IRL segment from last night, and the resident left of center guy...Ian...says he didn't know that guns purchased online were not mailed to your house (@8:30).

Here's an explaination in case some of you don't understand how an internet retail gun sale works.

First, there are a few rare exceptions to this...like buying a firearm or a replica of a firearm made before 1899 (I believe) and also if the purchaser is also a federal firearm license holder.

Actually it depends on the state. In Florida an internet (or brick and mortar gunstore) located within Florida, can mail the firearm to a florida resident. It can be sent Fedex, UPS, or USPS.

Actually it depends on the state. In Florida an internet (or brick and mortar gunstore) located within Florida, can mail the firearm to a florida resident. It can be sent Fedex, UPS, or USPS.
after a background check of course,,

Well, if you like strange, novel and totally impractical firearms like I do...your local brick and mortar store isn't likely to carry that kind of thing. Or, if you like super high quality (read super expensive) firearms...most gun stores are not going to have a large selection of those either.

Just like any business, the gun store stocks items that will have the most appeal to the widest cross section of consumers.

I go online to an internet gun store like budsguns.com and I select something I like...a Bond Arms Protect the 2nd Amendment two shot derringer in 45 Colt...

Click BUY.

Buds asks for my credit card number and I complete the PURCHASE part of the order...

Some will be green...meaning their FFL license is already on file with Buds. Others are red...meaning if I want to have my firearm shipped to them, I must contact that FFL holder and have them fax a copy of their license to Buds before shipping can be arranged.

I choose a gun store from the list. That gun store will be responsible for the transfer of the firearm to me...and they can (and most will) charge a transfer fee of $10-$50+ for the transfer. My gun store used to allow free transfers, but now it's $10 for the transfer or the transfer is free with a purchase of at least $20 in merchandise (who can't use more Pmags?).

Very informative - thank you.

Wouldn’t it be easier to have your local special order the one you want?

Click BUY.

Very informative - thank you.

Wouldn’t it be easier to have your local special order the one you want?

how about both??

Only if from someone with a FFL. Private citizens can sell guns to another florida resident without any background checks.

No, it can't. That is a FEDERAL LAW. No firearm may be sent to an individual except for if that individual sent the weapon in to the manufacturer for service. Then, and only then, can the manufacturer send the firearm back to THAT individual.

Only if from someone with a FFL. Private citizens can sell guns to another florida resident without any background checks.

They may NOT ship them. In person sales are the only type that are legal.

got a link to the Florida state law that allows this?

No, it can't. That is a FEDERAL LAW. No firearm may be sent to an individual except for if that individual sent the weapon in to the manufacturer for service. Then, and only then, can the manufacturer send the firearm back to THAT individual.
Read the law yourself, straight from the horses (ATF) mouth.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

Wrong, see post #13

interesting

I tried to ship a rifle back to the factory for repair, and USPS wouldn't touch it.

interesting

I tried to ship a rifle back to the factory for repair, and USPS wouldn't touch it.

Bring a copy of the ATF rules with you next time.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail
and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Your own citation says you can mail your rifle/shotgun back to the manufacturer by USPS.

Shipping firearms with USPS

Unloaded rifles and shotguns: can be mailed however the mailer will need to verify, by opening or by certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and eligible for mailing. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent in the same state.

Your own citation says you can mail your rifle/shotgun back to the manufacturer by USPS.

Shipping firearms with USPS

Unloaded rifles and shotguns: can be mailed however the mailer will need to verify, by opening or by certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and eligible for mailing. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent in the same state.

Guess the lady working the counter at the Post office didn't know the rules.

(psst, I had a copy of the rule you posted above, and she STILL wouldn't accept it. Should I have call the Postmaster General?)

Forum List

Back