Interesting Statue Information

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
20992802_1587150227989874_6998083743773168737_n.jpg

That was a time when people honored a good soldier because he fought the good fight bravely and honorably..All confederates were made US veterans in 1958.....

That was a time when people honored a good soldier because he fought the good fight bravely and honorably..All confederates were made US veterans in 1958.....

It was a different era, turbulent and people fought for what they believed in, probably 99% of Confederate soldiers didn't own slaves. They were soldiers fighting for something, but it wasn't slavery.

It was a different era, turbulent and people fought for what they believed in, probably 99% of Confederate soldiers didn't own slaves. They were soldiers fighting for something, but it wasn't slavery.

That's exactly what the UDC said.

I have always been a big supporter of statuary, I loved August St. Gaudens statue of VICTORY gilded in gold leaf. General Sherman in central park in New York.

Last edited:

That's exactly what the UDC said.

Intetesting, I've read diaries of Confederate soldiers from the Guttenberg Project. You can download ebooks on it for free, it's interesting and gives a lot of insight on their views of the war

99% is wrong but I would say a good portion, maybe half, of soldiers fighting for the South didn't own slaves, but they did know they were fighting to keep that system of owning people in place. I have no problem at all with honoring these men for fighting by keeping their cemeteries sacred, but the statues and monuments to the men that led them who knew exactly what they were doing need to go to museums or even to the cemeteries for Confederates. Most of these statues weren't erected to honor these leaders, they were erected as an effort, 50 years after the Civil War, to cleanse their actions and to put in place a visible daily reminder to blacks in the south "we are still in charge so know your place'. You want to talk about 'changing history' it was the erection of these statues that was the attempt to change history.

And now that era is coming to an end. It's simple these statues don't have to be destroyed just move them to a museum where they belong.

In time these very statues themselves will be viewed as another move forward for the country. At a museum 50 years from now... "mommy, what are these statues?". "They are monuments put up to remind black people that they were still second class citizens in the early 20th century." "I'm glad we don't live like that anymore mom." "Me too son. Look, here's the first submarine used by the South in the Civil War!" "Wow! Cool!"

99% is wrong but I would say a good portion, maybe half, of soldiers fighting for the South didn't own slaves, but they did know they were fighting to keep that system of owning people in place. I have no problem at all with honoring these men for fighting by keeping their cemeteries sacred, but the statues and monuments to the men that led them who knew exactly what they were doing need to go to museums or even to the cemeteries for Confederates. Most of these statues weren't erected to honor these leaders, they were erected as an effort, 50 years after the Civil War, to cleanse their actions and to put in place a visible daily reminder to blacks in the south "we are still in charge so know your place'. You want to talk about 'changing history' it was the erection of these statues that was the attempt to change history.

And now that era is coming to an end. It's simple these statues don't have to be destroyed just move them to a museum where they belong.

In time these very statues themselves will be viewed as another move forward for the country. At a museum 50 years from now... "mommy, what are these statues?". "They are monuments put up to remind black people that they were still second class citizens in the early 20th century." "I'm glad we don't live like that anymore mom." "Me too son. Look, here's the first submarine used by the South in the Civil War!" "Wow! Cool!"

Well since only 6% of Southerners owned slaves and 3% owned the majority you are once again wrong. Color me shocked

Well since only 6% of Southerners owned slaves and 3% owned the majority you are once again wrong. Color me shocked

Cool, cry me a river.

Cool, cry me a river.

Next time research

Cool, cry me a river.

Next time research

Hey derpy when people spitball all you have to do is get out of the way. Thank you for ignoring everything else I said you have outed yourself as another who is only interested in 'appearing to be right'. Content of a post is meaningless to you so I will ignore yours from now on. I'm sure you are right about the %, who cares.

Cool, cry me a river.

Next time research

Hey derpy when people spitball all you have to do is get out of the way. Thank you for ignoring everything else I said you have outed yourself as another who is only interested in 'appearing to be right'. Content of a post is meaningless to you so I will ignore yours from now on. I'm sure you are right about the %, who cares.

Your post started with an outright falsehood....why should I continue reading it?

Forum List

Back