Interesting misquotations

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
"Beam me up, Scotty" - James T. Kirk

* From the Star Trek science fiction television series. Several variants of this do occur in the series, such as "Beam me aboard," "Beam us up home," or "Two to beam up," but "Beam me up, Scotty" was never said during the run of the original Star Trek series. However, the quote "Beam me up, Scotty" was uttered in Star Trek: The Animated Series. The movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home included the closest other variation: "Scotty, beam me up."

"Blood, Sweat, and Tears"

* Correct quote: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat." - Winston Churchill
* The quote appeared in the book Metropolis, written by Thea von Harbou (wife of Metropolis director Fritz Lang), first published in 1926. The text, describing Joh Frederson who has just finished his first day working to keep the machines of Metropolis alive, states, "He tasted a salty taste on his lips, and did not know if it was from blood, sweat, or tears."
* Notes: A similar quote from Winston Churchill can be found in a recorded speech he gave to the House of Commons where he says " I have never promised anything but blood, sweat and tears, now however we have a new experience. We have victory. a..a remarkable victory. A bright gleam has caught the helmets of our soldiers and warmed and cheered all our hearts."

"Me Tarzan, you Jane."

* Occurs in none of the Tarzan films nor in the book by Edgar Rice Burroughs
* Occured in an interview with the actor of Tarzan in the films, saying this is as complicated as his dialogue got.

"Play it again, Sam"

* Actual quote: "Play it Sam, for old times' sake, play 'As Time Goes By'." - Ingrid Bergman (Casablanca)
* Actual quote: "You played it for her, you can play it for me. ... If she can stand it, I can! Play it!" - Humphrey Bogart (Casablanca)
* Note: Woody Allen paid homage to Casablanca under the title Play It Again, Sam, which is likely the source of much such misquotation.
* The line first occurred in the Marx Brothers' film A Night in Casablanca (1946), another possible source of the misquotation.

Many more......
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/List_of_misquotations

Forum List

Back