• Yes

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, but it should be limited/taxed

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can you point out any of the Founding Fathers saying anything of the sort?

Shall I go on? :eusa_angel:

Nothing you quoted justifies confiscation of inheritances.

Please find something that actually endorses the government confiscating what someone has earned.

setting that erroneous comment aside for a moment, you said "anything of the sort" that MERIT IS NOT HEREDITARY, which those state outright.

as far as whether people who helped found this country believed in "confiscation," they certainly did not shun the notion.

"legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind. The descent of property of every kind therefore to all the children, or to all the brothers and sisters, or other relations in equal degree is a politic measure, and a practicable one. Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise."

-- Thomas Jefferson; from letter to James Madison (1785)

Bripat is a conservative troll. There is no use reasoning with him.

Yes he is. I found that out some time ago. He's a quintessential, repub-base, voter.....a drone.

I use to post at AWE under the name of "I Like Taxes" and bripat was one of the most misinformed posters I ever met.

Every now and then, he post cogent arguments, but overall, he is a conservative troll.

CaféAuLait;3542298 said:
I didn't say that. i said "whether or not." Certainly half of that which has been paid into "my account" came out of the fruits of my own labor. Whether the other half has served to adjust my wages downward because my employer has had to compensate for paying them or not is debatable. In any case, I don't understand why Pinochetists believe that I should forfeit them so that the uber-wealthy can perpetuate idleness. Really Un-American!

No, you said you did not earn it and did not deserve it:

Of course not. I haven't done anything to earn it EITHER!

I do deserve to reclaim what i have been forced to contribute to the SS "trust fund" out of the fruits of my own labors. I do not deserve to inherit a bunch of bootlegging money so that I can live a life of frivolity. The one does not equal the other :cuckoo:

Do those who have never contributed one dime to the government in way of taxes deserve a free check? Do the children of parents who have never paid one dime in taxes deserve a free government ride?

To which equal do you suppose is more cuckoo? :cuckoo:

Bripat is a conservative troll. There is no use reasoning with him.

Yes he is. I found that out some time ago. He's a quintessential, repub-base, voter.....a drone.

I use to post at AWE under the name of "I Like Taxes" and bripat was one of the most misinformed posters I ever met.

Every now and then, he post cogent arguments, but overall, he is a conservative troll.

Like Antiderivative said, he's a conservative troll who thinks if he says things enough times it makes them true. Nothing pisses him off more than being confronted w/ facts. LOLOL

I think you misunderstood. My point was the same as yours. If my family leaves me their estate after they have paid for it and have been taxed, then I shouldn't have to be taxed again for inheriting what they have already paid for.

What about the Gotti Estate or any "Soprano" estate? How about if the taxes weren't paid, such as they have it off-shore in tax shelters?
Wealth should be passed-on, but I support the current policy of only taxing wealth over $2.5m so that family farms and upper middle class folks aren't hurt.

That sounds @ right to me. How much unearned income does a child need to be comfortable?

Very good question that. No matter how much money you throw at the poor they ALWAYS want more.

Wow who knew our Society was based on 'merit'...Please tell us what other nations are based on 'merit'

Liberals think the government invented money so it could reward those who excel according to some arbitrary definition of "merit."

You gotta love how utterly clueless and naive they are.

And who exactly believes that?

I love when rightwingnuts make up what they *think* other people believe and then argue against their own false premises.

yep, It is about as funny as when leftwingnuts do it. There are plenty of Liberals in here that will tell me what they "think" I believe about something based on their Pre-programmed expectations.

Liberals think the government invented money so it could reward those who excel according to some arbitrary definition of "merit."

You gotta love how utterly clueless and naive they are.

And who exactly believes that?

I love when rightwingnuts make up what they *think* other people believe and then argue against their own false premises.

yep, It is about as funny as when leftwingnuts do it. There are plenty of Liberals in here that will tell me what they "think" I believe about something based on their Pre-programmed expectations.

so... if capitalism is NOT based upon merit, how do you justify supporting it?

i uess this fits here>

I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes,”
President Obama, September 12, 2008

Beginning January 1, 2013, ObamaCare imposes a 3.8% Medicare tax on unearned income, including the sale of single family homes, townhouses, co-ops, condominiums, and even rental income.

In February 2010, 5.02 million homes were sold, according to the National Association of Realtors. On any given day, the sale of a house, townhome, condominium, co-op, or income from a rental property can push middle-income families over the $250,000 threshold and slam them with a new tax they can’t afford.

This new ObamaCare tax is the first time the government will apply a 3.8 percent tax on unearned income. This new tax on home sales and unearned income and other Medicare taxes raise taxes more than $210 billion to pay for ObamaCare. The National Association of Realtors called this new Medicare tax on unearned income “destructive” and “ill-advised” and warned it would hurt job creation.

ObamaCare Flatlines: ObamaCare Taxes Home Sales - Clobbers Middle-Class Americans - Blog - GOP.gov

so... if capitalism is NOT based upon merit, how do you justify supporting it?

Actually, capitalism is based on the merit system, however many repukes use this argument to support crony capitalism rather than free market capitalism.

I believe in many validations of free market capitalism, but this is not what repukes propose. They propose crony capitalism.

Do tell, and how do you feel about welfare recipients? Are they earning their way in the world?

Welfare abuse is the least of our problems.

Come in touch with reality w/e you'd like.

Oh Goody. Another internet know-it-all troll with all the nutritional substance of Blue Dyed Peeps.

Oh Goody. Another internet know-it-all troll with all the nutritional substance of Blue Dyed Peeps.

Direct welfare benefits is around 5 billion. Tell me how cutting back on 5 billion of direct welfare benefits is the cause and solution of our economic woes.

Forum List

Back