Individual Learning Styles and Experiences

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
It is very interesting to see and work with the various learning styles that students bring to class from their previous educational and life experiences. Some students are very independent, while others thrive when working in a group. Some students have a lot of difficulty with written assignments, but do well when a task involves speaking, listening, or creating something tangible and visible. Some students just cannot seem to begin an assignment unless it is verbally explained to them in their L1 (even when a written translation is provided which they are capable of reading). Combining all these various learning styles in different ways for different purposes is highly elucidating and, when accomplished with a deft hand, can make a real difference in student experiences and outcomes.

Last edited:
People learn whatever it is at their own pace and if it is a subject that peaks their interest.

It is like chemistry for me; I had no interest in it in my youth with the exception of metals but as I learned more about herbs I wanted to know and understand better the chemical properties that made them work. That was over a forty year span to seek an interest in it all. Also it depends on who is doing the teaching and what other things are taking place in ones head. Bored at a point in seventh grade a friend who was in her senior year taught me the algebra she was learning. She was able to explain it to me in a way that made it easy for me.

My aunt taught my daughter to read before she went to kindergarten but my son always had difficulty in reading not only because of his dyslexia but the teachers at the schools. When I hired a teacher who specialized in working with children with dyslexia while out for six weeks getting a new job site up and running son learned from him; it was some of the best money I ever spent for the furtherance of my children's education. We did not live in an area I could put him into a private school or I would have tried that. That took eight years that son had to spend with frustrated teachers who really didn't want to have anything to do with him. For six of those years they did not know he was dyslexia and they treated him like shit for their lack of knowledge. What it took was a lot of phone calls to find the right teacher that knew what he was doing and that had a style of teaching that worked for son who was willing to allow me to hire him (it took a lot of pleading to get him to let me hire him privately to help son).

Try to actually talk about education? Crickets.

Screech about "brainwashing!"? 100000000 pages of hysteria.

It's interesting to see that even the most confident and capable students will sometimes switch to their L1 when they are confused about something, or they have technical issues or such.

Isn’t that the educational philosophy behind Montessori schools? Emphasizing independence and teaching to each student’s strengths.

Last edited:
Only racists white supremacists have an individualistic mindset.

the greatest groups of people throughout history have shown to have a collectivist mindset

It is very interesting to see and work with the various learning styles that students bring to class from their previous educational and life experiences. Some students are very independent, while others thrive when working in a group. Some students have a lot of difficulty with written assignments, but do well when a task involves speaking, listening, or creating something tangible and visible. Some students just cannot seem to begin an assignment unless it is verbally explained to them in their L1 (even when a written translation is provided which they are capable of reading). Combining all these various learning styles in different ways for different purposes is highly elucidating and, when accomplished with a deft hand, can make a real difference in student experiences and outcomes.

Forum List

Back